Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:33 pm 
welcoming committee

No words necessary!
https://youtu.be/oN742H3LSH4

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Could not care less about those stupid little cars ... but, OH, ACDC. My number four Rock-and-Roll Gods, next to Alice in Chains, Rush and number one .... yes, Bonzo's band, Led Zeppelin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88b0OYxdtyM

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I would love to have access to a dirt track!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 am 

That brought back memories Doddie, didn't have those big racing cars think ours was a truck but used to go somewhere in the Midlands to race it, this was years ago must have been in the 1960/70s.:-)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:55 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
That brought back memories Doddie, didn't have those big racing cars think ours was a truck but used to go somewhere in the Midlands to race it, this was years ago must have been in the 1960/70s.:-)

Once again Joan, you dark horse!! :lol:
60 or 70's? If the M6 wasn't open then, it must have been the M1... some scary truckers on those when i drive down to Corby visiting my wife's family! :shock: :o ;)

@ Acadia... I can feel my mouse reaching to click on Hemispheres :D
Oh heck, just opened my rush folder and can't choose between Hemispheres, A farewell to The Kings, or 2112.... Hemispeheres wins, rest enqueued ;)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:57 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I would love to have access to a dirt track!
Never visited Wyoming but surely you have space to make one... would anyone notice a JCB removing the topsoil form a hectare or two?? :rofl2:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:08 pm 

Doddie wrote:
JoanA wrote:

Once again Joan, you dark horse!! :lol:
60 or 70's? If the M6 wasn't open then, it must have been the M1... some scary truckers on those when i drive down to Corby visiting my wife's family! :shock: :o ;)

Only been to Corby a couple of times, when I was an Avon rep went on a day trip to their headquarters.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:48 pm 
welcoming committee

I know you don't mean what I'm about to type but selling lipstick to pigs does remind me of Corby! LOL

Corby isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing on the eye but it is what it was, an old steel town full of Scots expats ;) Lmao!!

I'm off back down there at the end of the month again... looking forward to seeing my niece again, we've always had an incredibly close bond even though we're not blood related, just one of those connections where awesome meets girl with ADHD and Asperger's and for no reason other than they get on, they do...
I let her away with murder, to the point if she was actually my daughter I'd kill her LOL... i don't have kids so that might explain a lot... all i know is she means the world to me and has done ever since i met her when my wife first introduced me to her when she was 5 and i was 30... my heart melted for her that day, she looked as uncomfortable as i did being in the her company... she was sitting on the floor in the corner looking lost and uncomfortable... i smiled at her, she smiled back, we've been nothing but trouble ever since!!

When she was 18 i took her out for what was our first drink together in Corby, just the two of us.... we rolled into my mother-in-laws at 4am out of our faces!!! My wife and her mother were seriously pissed off at us... i don't think I've ever laughed so much in my life because we didn't care, we were drunk, had fun and they were two old hags who'd forgotten how to have fun! LOL... it took us two days to shake off that hangover!!!! Never again!... actually we did, next time she was up in Edinburgh... we didn't go home, no mother-in-law, text to the wife to go to bed, 3 day hangover that time!! :lol: :shhh3: :zzz9:

I really don't intend to get into trouble like that with my niece, there's just a connection that we have that leads into trouble...she communicates with me in ways that astound her medics (I've attended some of her assesments) and the rest of her immediate family, she's now engaged and has calmed down apparently :shs: :heart2: He seems like a really nice guy but he's got a lot to live up to, something I never fail to remind him of! LOL, I think the poor guy is terrified of me!!! :twisted: :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:06 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
... when I was an Avon rep went on a day trip to their headquarters.

My mum was an Avon rep in the 70's, if memory serves me right she left Avon to sell Reactolite Rapide sunglasses (remember them?), a friend of hers told my sister and i a hilarious story at her funeral of the time shortly after she left Avon... i don't think my mum had much time for Avon because when they were crossing the Forth Road Bridge my mum told her to tell Avon to stuff their sales figures up their *** as she was filling it in and driving, grabbed the paperwork from her and threw it out the car window!... my mums friend was naturally horrified but no harm was done from what i can gather and it became a long standing source of amusement for my mums disregard for authority...

Her offspring would never do such a thing of course! :rofl2:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:48 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:

@ Acadia... I can feel my mouse reaching to click on Hemispheres :D
Oh heck, just opened my rush folder and can't choose between Hemispheres, A farewell to The Kings, or 2112.... Hemispeheres wins, rest enqueued ;)

How about their possibly very last album ever, Clockwork Angels? Just saw an interview between Geddy Lee and Dan Rather a few days ago. Dan asked Geddy what was his favorite album ever that they had ever made, Geddy replied, Clockwork Angels. I had never even heard of it. Went online and read some reviews: WOW.

GG is even a bigger Rush fan than me, bought that cd for her for Christmas. :shhh3:

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:53 pm 

Doddie it sounds like you were good for her and good medicine, I feel sorry for her fiance. ;-) It's remarkable how you can have a real connection with someone but everyone else says it just shouldn't happen. :-)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:00 pm 
welcoming committee

@ Acadia, Mums the word as we say over here :shhh3:

@ JoanA, He must be doing a good job as well because the phone calls when she was having 'an episode' have stopped, day or night she knew she could call me to talk if ever she couldn't cope or felt things were getting too much for her... when they first started dating i was getting calls from both of them!! From her because she needed someone to sound off at, and from him because he didn't know what do about the Tasmanian Devil that was exploding in front of him! :mad6: :mad7: Poor guy didn't have a clue that there's not a lot you can do except be there to pick up the pieces when it's all over, and make sure that she doesn't hurt herself or anyone else.
Anyways, it'll be good too see her again and to make sure everything really is as rosie as it appears on the outside :D

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:07 pm 
welcoming committee

Speaking of AC/DC:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ma ... li=BBnb7Kz

He was so good that many critics say he could have played lead guitar in 98% of the bands on planet Earth, but he was behind Angus. Good-bye Malcolm. :peace:

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:01 pm 
welcoming committee

@Acadia, very sad news indeed but glad his illness didn't drag on, dementia can be such a cruel illness, not just for the sufferer but also the family :(

On a lighter note, his passing spurred me to search for a website i knew existed but hadn't looked at for some time:

The Edinburgh Gig Archive
http://www.edinburghgigarchive.com/index.htm

The last time i looked at the website i was amazed at the memories it brought back, not because there were any especially poignant pictures or anything like that (the site then lacked much of what is now available) but more because it reminded me that on that day, on that date, i was there... it has just brought back many many more due to the addition of some of the support bands... e.g. Girlschool were an all girl rock band in an era when 'girls' weren't supposed to be capable of "rock music", yet i was there when they supported Motorhead or AC/DC (i forget which but it was definitely one of those two) and the crowd (i won't call them an audience because it was predominantly Angels and 'all sorts'... definitely not a place a schoolboy like me should be, but that said i never once felt threatened by the atmosphere, though i did at times feel intimidated... those were the risks you had to take in those days ;)

Anyways, the crowd fell silent after what was the norm in those days of cat calling, wolf whistling etc when they hit their first chords... i don't recall what the song was that they opened with but it was the most incredible change in crowd behaviour I've ever witnessed, they went from almost baying for blood because some daft women who couldn't perform to save themselves suddenly went from the pariahs of humanity to the greatest thing on earth!
If memory serves me right they only performed two songs but the crowd wanted more and forced the main act of "Motorhead or AC/DC" back OFF stage until they got the encore!!

Quite an incredible display of "Girl Power" some 20 odd years before the world had ever heard of the Spice Girls! LOL

Another oddity, that I'd love to ask Angus Young about... is the school uniform... leaving aside the school uniform per se for a second, he clearly does his homework:

If you click on "Odeon Cinema" on the left and scroll down to 31st October 1978, 6th picture down, i was at that concert and remember his tie well!!
That is the tie of my old school, George Heriots, it struck me as odd at the time that he was wearing it but after the concert i forgot about it... scroll down another 6 pics and you see pics off the support band "Blazer Blazer" and what appears to be their lead vocalist and lead guitar also wearing a school tie... i don't recognise the school that tie comes from but that's likely just me... what does stand out is Angus is playing in Edinburgh and he's clearly without a doubt wearing a local school tie and the support band called Blazer Blazer lead is also wearing a tie that's I'd bet is also local... there's a connection, i just don't know what it is, yet ;)

They just don't make music like they used to... then again, there is no New Musical Express (NME) as a news outlet to keep us informed either... well, there is, but is it the same? ymmv.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NME

Ride Fast, Live Hard.
https://youtu.be/O2BQpljuWHY

If the press releases are anything to go by, you left Scotland as a boy but Glasgow and Scotland never left you.
https://youtu.be/4nHPULSyD7M

Thank you Malcolm.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion