Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: Go Tribe! :)
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:16 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
My Cleveland Indians are in the World Series!!! :mrgreen: :multi8: :nana1: :dance2:

Tribe... :urock:

Man!.... Some of the things they have done is close to unreal. LOL! If you don't understand any of the following you probably don't follow baseball and don't care anyway. ;)

First their relief pitchers are off the wall. Their stopper is perfect on the entire season; zero blown saves. They have a young reliever named Miller that got 17 outs during the series that they just won. He threw less than 30 pitches for the 17 outs.

In all sports there is a LOT of talk about balance. In U.S. football it is about how many running plays against how many passing plays. In baseball one of these balances is that you want your starting pitcher to do about half the game. In the current series the starters and relievers each pitched 22 innings. I'd call that balanced!

Due to injuries their starting pitching is a bit of a patchwork quilt yet they put it together.

If you know baseball this fact is also off the wall. I don't off hand know how many pitches their closer threw in the 9th inning today but through the first 8 innings the Tribe's pitchers only threw 87 pitches. To put this a bit in perspective, if a pitcher struck out every batter on the other team in just 3 pitches he would throw 81 pitches.

Post subject: Re: Go Tribe! :)
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Happy for you, Jay!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:37 pm 

Thanks BB! :)

This could be rather fun at work. Made a bet today with the #2 manager. He is a Chicago Cubs fan and, if not noticed, I'm a Cleveland Indians' fan. If the Cubs win their series and go to the World Series we have a 'fun' bet. If the Tribe wins the World Series he has to buy an Indians baseball cap and wear it at work for a week then giving me the hat. If the Cubs win the World Series the same goes in reverse with me buying a Cubs hat, wearing for a week at work, and giving him the hat. Win or lose it will be a fun thing at work. :mrgreen:

I SWEAR that I'm not going to post anything here other than this thread until the World series is over. Of course this is probably not true but is well intentioned. :mrgreen: Between the Tribe and my main system blowing up I find that I am probably doing too many posts that are just first thought reaction instead of studying and giving proper thought.

LOL! What did I just say??? Oh YES! My Indians are in the World Series!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:12 am 
welcoming committee

Congrats Jay.
IMHO It was getting Andrew Miller from the Yanks that put them over the top.
I'd like to see the Tribe vs Cubs. That would be fun.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:43 am 

Yep it would be a fun series. The Cubs took a big step this evening going up 3-2 in their series against the Dodgers. I don't know the numbers but would have to think that the percentage of a team with a 3-2 lead in a series and the fact that in the last two games the 3-2 team will have 'home field advantage'... The odds of the 3-2 team just has to be over 80%.

Even if the series goes 7 games the Tribe has two advantages. I don't think it can be argued that they have the best pitching staff left in the playoffs. They also have that home field advantage where 4 of the 7 possible games will be played in Cleveland.

Yet the dastardly opponent, whether it be the Cubs or Dodgers, DOES have their own advantage. That advantage is that the Tribe will not be able to use their Designated Hitter when the game in being played on the National League field. The pitchers for the Cubs and Dodgers are used to standing at the plate and batting. The Tribe's pitchers are not. I think this is a factor that needs to be addressed by Major League Baseball. If you are going to have a playoff situation between to different conferences the rules should be consistent. While being an Indians fan I think that the designated hitter should be abolished. My thought is that, if a player is on the field for defense, that player should be on the field for offense. Also the designated hitter takes away from the strategy of the game. Let's face it, decisions as to whether to leave in a pitcher or to take him out for a pinch hitter when you need a run to win a game just does not exist in the American League. There is just no decision to be made as it is not a factor as the designated hitter bats instead of the pitcher.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:31 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Jay
Disagree on the DH. I'd rather see Big Papi up with runners on than
any pitcher. I do like watching Bartolo Colon and Mad Bum at bat.
Baseball today is a game of bullpens for the most part.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:20 pm 

Sorry Chas. I thought that I had responed to your last post.

I understand the desire for fans to still be able to watch favorites such as Big Papi but still think that it has a negative side. LOL! One of the advantages of getting rid of the DH is the 'humor aspect'. That aspect is obviously watching many pitchers flail hopelessly at the ball. :mrgreen: On the real side is that it takes a lot of strategy out of the game.

Don't get me wrong. I'm OK with the DH staying but it also needs to be implimented in the NL if it is going to stay in the AL. In the NFL we have inter-conference games during the season and the Superbowl is the AFC verses the NFC. This works without a stutter as both conferences play under the same rules. In baseball we have the same situation minus the rules being the same. I would think it an obvious advantage to the NL that the AL team cannot use their DH if the game is in a NL park yet a NL team gets to use a DH if the game is in an AL park. This rule gives the NL a distinct advantage in inter-league games. Consider this 'off-the-wall' thought. If the DH was allowed when Babe Ruth played we MAY have lost a sports hero as he started out as a pitcher.

I just want the rules to be the same between leagues. :)

Now all that said... I'm ready for game one of the World Series tonight! As soon as I'm done posting I'll hit the shower and turn to baseball. :) I believe that I have followed the proper rules (Which, BTW, is the same in both leagues... ;) ) as I have Brauts in the fridge ready to go. :mrgreen:

Oh! The #2 manager at work is a Cub's fan. I'm sure that you can imagine the battle in progress. I got in the first hit. ;) I made a 'peel and cling' poster at work which had no other purpose than to cheer for the Tribe. LOL! Of COURSE I would NEVER do such a thing but the 'Sports Gods' steped in and this cling poster ended up on the manager's car windshield. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:51 pm 

Man! What a start to the Serries. Only in the third inning of the first game and an MLB record has been broken. Corey Kluber, for the Tribe, has 8 strike outs in 3 innings. This has never been done in ANY post season game. --- Tribe up 2-0.

After 5 innings Tribe up 3-0.

Final... Tribe 6-0. I call this a rather decent start. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:14 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, thanks for the reminder/update.....I couldn't remember who the Cubs were playing.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:07 am 
welcoming committee

I saw part of that game. It was good and you know baseball on TV can be like watching paint dry. Nice start for sure.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:25 pm 

Found out a rather surprising stat today. Out of the last 28 World Series 24 have been won by the team that won the first game. LOL! Hopefully the Tribe will follow tradition. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:14 pm 

Well I guess we now have a 5 game series. Cubs won tonight to even the series at 1-1.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:01 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Well I guess we now have a 5 game series. Cubs won tonight to even the series at 1-1.

Yea, that's what I'm thinking, 'cause the Tribe has probably won its one-and-only game? :hmm3"

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:46 am 
welcoming committee

Another interesting game. The last four innings were good. 1-1. This has the making of an interesting series. Friday in Chicago.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:04 am 

With the Tribe winning 1-0 tonight the Series stands at 2-1 in favor of Cleveland.

Whew!!! I swear that this was one of the most intense games I've ever seen. The Tribe beat the Cub's 'Ace' who had not lost a game this entire season when pitching at home. Cleveland's pitching was just a little better.

Tommorow we see how Cleveland's ace, Corey Kluber, does away from home. In game one of the series he struck out 8 in the first three innings.

At this point I call a SLIGHT advantage for Cleveland.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:34 am 
welcoming committee

It was a great 3rd game. All pitching, little hitting. The ninth was something.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:37 am 
welcoming committee

Congrats, Jay. Great game, and I enjoyed Bill (Daffy Duck) Murray's 7th inning stretch presentation.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:52 am 
welcoming committee

Boy, Murray is daffy as always. I think the microphone was done after that. Amazing that it didn't drown during the performance.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:00 am 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
Boy, Murray is daffy as always. I think the microphone was done after that. Amazing that it didn't drown during the performance.

Agreed.......but he has made millions and millions being daffy.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:41 pm 

LOL! on Murray AND the following! ;)

I LOVE brauts and felt that the first game of the World Series was a good excuse to have a couple with chopped red onion and brown mustard. Since the Tribe won that game I am having the same during every game of the series. Had to stop at the store after work tonight to get more brauts to continue the support. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:21 am 

Sigh... Tribe up in the series 3-1. Of course I'm happy that the Tribe is doing well but, in a way, am also a bit sad. It is almost like the Cubs have given up and they are just too good for that.

I can't exactly put a finger on what is wrong but something is just not right with the Cubs... Must be the brauts... ;) Strange as this may sound I 'almost' hope that the Tribe loses game 5 on Sunday for two reasons.

1) Of course the obvious would be that it would be nice for the Tribe to win the Series in Cleveland on their home field. Still that would mean that they would need to win one out of two instead of the present situation of needing one out of three. From this direction it is an absolute that Tribe fans just want one more win no matter on which field.

2) Here is the real reason why I 'sort' of hope that the Tribe loses on Sunday and the series goes back to Cleveland. It has been too many years since either team has won the World Series but MUCH longer for the Cubs. The last World Series win for the Tribe was in 1948. The last for the Cubs was 1908. The last appearance in the World Series for the Tribe was 1997; for the Cubs... 1945.

While one never knows and teams have come back from being down 3-1 in a series it is VERY rare. While I want the Tribe to win the series I also want to have the Cubs lose with respect. While the Cubs have in no way embarrassed themselves, the Tribe has dominated. I don't exactly know what I'm trying to say except that it might be easier for Cub's fans if the series didn't end on their home field.

Of course it is also possible that I could have a sock shoved in my mouth and the Cubs could win the final three games. The Cubs are a GREAT team and this is possible but very unlikely.

LOL! It is also VERY possible that this entire discussion may be repeated in 2017 as it is very likely both teams will play in the World Series next year. They are by far the best teams in their conferences.

Sigh... I just wish that the Tribe were playing another team than the Cubs. If the Cubs were playing against any other team than the Tribe I'd be pulling for Chicago.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:44 am 
welcoming committee

Game 4 was 7-2, wow! I missed it. Must have been exciting. It's gotta be hard for the Cubs losing at home...

It could all end tonight. Ticket prices are falling like a rock. Standing room at $612 compared to $2,638 a week ago. Then the median price was an insane $7,500. Cubs' fans are losing hope.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/worl ... ble-102916

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:10 am 

Cubs won game 5 and looked a whole lot better than they did in game 4. I would have liked to have had Cleveland win tonight and get out of there but they still only need to win one out of two games and both games will be in Cleveland. I really hope that the Tribe wins game 6 in Cleveland as I don't want a game 7... just never know what will happen in a one game series. Also, before the series started, I picked Cleveland in 6 games. LOL! It would be nice to be right for once. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:10 am 
welcoming committee

Game 5 was terrific. It had it all for a baseball game. Very entertaining. I watched the whole thing and it was good all the way to the end. On to Cleveland!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:07 pm 
welcoming committee

We don't always get the best TV reception here in Arkansas, but was that a grand slam homer I just saw?

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion