Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:21 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
By now it is probably obvious to most that I like to cook. I will also say that I don't often promote "As Seen On TV" items. In fact I don't think that I have ever done so here. I have found an exception! Gotham cookware is amazing! I have three of their items; a 9 inch fry pan that is used for nothing but eggs. It is the best egg pan I've ever had. I also have one of their 9.5 inch by 4 inch deep Dutch ovens that also has components for deep frying and steaming. The killer is their grill/griddle. It is a reversible skillet with one side being a grill with a slotted surface. The other side is a flat griddle. I'm not going to post any links as they are all 'info-mercials' but the stuff IS good. If you happen to have a Walgreens store near you we sell the stuff. If your local store does not stock they can order for you. DANG! I sound like an info-mercial myself. It is just that, if you have a local Walgreens store (I'm sure other stores also) you would not pay shipping if they did not carry and it needed to be ordered.

As an example tonight I had a burger along with butternut squash and rosemary spiced red potatoes. This is just what it does on a stove burner. I find it totally awesome. And NOTHING sticks to the danged thing. Of course I actually wash it but just running under water makes it look clean even after the grilling in the following image. What I so far have of their product line is making me question my insistence for using Farberware as my main cookware.
Attachment:
gotham grill small.jpg
gotham grill small.jpg [ 209.8 KiB | Viewed 11619 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:38 am 

Looks like a very hearty meal Jay. Over here I love my Ceramic frying pans, they work the same with nothing sticky and easy wash. I even have a Ceramic interior microwave and that is brilliant for keeping clean.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:47 am 
Fearless Leader

What's it made of, Jay?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:40 pm 

It is a combination of titanium and ceramic. Is also oven safe up to 500 degrees.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:27 pm 
Fearless Leader

Wow! That sounds awesome! I will have to look into it. I'm in the market for a good ceramic frying pan. I don't like these non-stick coatings that are around, nor do I want aluminum. This sounds perfect. :) And with the titanium, I'm assuming it's not too heavy?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:22 pm 

I'm really not sure what the core is made of. When I say Titanium and ceramic it may be better say a titanium based ceramic. LOL! They are very technical pans as it is a type of ceramic used in some capacitors.
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary. ... m+Ceramics

Actually the pans are fairly heavy for the size which indicates to me that the base is probably steel rather than aluminum.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:16 pm 

Here is what I have so far as to these pans Patty. Mayhaps this will give you a bit of an idea about the things.

All three pans are supposed to be safe for metal utensils but I will not test this fact; I use plastic. They are also supposed to be dish washer safe but, again, I will not test; I wash by hand just as I do with my Farberware pans.

The green one is one of the original ceramics and I don't know what type of ceramic it happens to be. It is a 9 inch pan and the best egg pan I've ever had. Cost ~$20.00. I don't know the safe max. oven temp. for this pan but, as I use it only for eggs, it really does not concern me. I have tested doing an egg without any oil or butter and it is fact that the egg will still slide out of the pan. I still use butter as I like my eggs basted. :mrgreen: This pan is made by OrGREENiC.

The grill is 10.5 inch and the other side is a flat griddle. Cost ~$20.00. It is titanium and ceramic. The grill is actually square even though the perspective in the photo does not look so. Safe oven temp. is stated as 500 degrees. This pan is made by Gotham.

The deeper one is 9.5 inch by 4 inches deep. It is also titanium and ceramic at a cost of ~$50.00. It also has a deep fry basket and steamer plate (blue). I have only used this pan once so far but it did well doing a pot roast with a 3.5 pound chuck roast along with the veggies. It did just fine in the oven at 350 degrees without any discoloration. Safe oven temp. is stated as 500 degrees. This pan is made by Gotham.
Attachment:
IMG_1659.JPG
IMG_1659.JPG [ 127.63 KiB | Viewed 11595 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:32 pm 
Fearless Leader

Oh dang. Heavy is a problem for me - in washing up mostly, but also in holding (by handle) with the left hand and scooping food onto plate with right hand. Wrists and thumbs are weak.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:48 pm 

They are not actually heavy, just heavier than if a titanium or aluminum base. They are no where even close to the weight of cast iron. The grill is similar in weight to my Farberware Dutch oven.

If you have a local Walgreens go in and pick one up. Oh, I just looked at the box for the Dutch oven type ceramic pan and the base is actually aluminum, not steel. I guess the bulk of the weight they do have comes from the ceramic coating.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:17 pm 

The advantage of ceramics is that they are insanely hard. When I worked as a machinist we used ceramics to cut hardened steel that would destroy tungsten carbidecutting tools. In the following video you can see the type of temperature that ceramics can handle. In cutting hardened steel it is all about how ceramics dissipate heat. In cookware that heat dissipation works in a similar way by distributing the heat evenly over the entire surface.

There IS a disadvantage with ceramics in that being so hard they are also brittle. This is why in cutting tools the ceramics will be coated on Tungsten Carbide and in cookware a softer metal. The ceramics give the hardness and durability while the base substance gives the impact durability.
[youtube]jkhZoUzLx0w[/youtube]

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:19 am 

Interesting thanks Jay, I know that ceramic cookware is said to be brittle that is why I'm so careful with my ceramic knives and make sure I don't drop them or let them get hit hard etc. I know they could snap.

I do love to use my ceramic frying pans, I have 3 different sizes, as you don't need the amount of oil in them to cook like a normal one. I love my ceramic knives because they are so sharp and don't need sharpening, it's like cutting through butter with a hot knife.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:45 pm 

You are welcome Joan. :)

A question on your knives if I may... Eventually even a ceramic knife will dull as will anything. If they DO become dull is there a tool to sharpen? If there is it would probably need to be impregnated with diamond dust. If they cannot be sharpened do you happen to know the life expectancy of the cutting edge?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:02 am 
Fearless Leader

We were at the store today and saw a small, one-egg size (like for a sunny-side egg, I'm sure you could scramble two) little ceramic frying pan. Needless to say nice and light. ;) It was marked $10, but it rang up as half that price, so must have been on sale. Not bad. Will probably cook an egg in it tomorrow and see how it goes. Cute little thing.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:24 am 

jaylach wrote:
You are welcome Joan. :)

A question on your knives if I may... Eventually even a ceramic knife will dull as will anything. If they DO become dull is there a tool to sharpen? If there is it would probably need to be impregnated with diamond dust. If they cannot be sharpened do you happen to know the life expectancy of the cutting edge?

Oh! now you're asking, I have no idea Jay, it's not something I've looked into. I've had the first one I got several years now and it's still as sharp as when I got it, the last ones I got are probably about 2 years old. When I get 5 minutes spare I'll have to see if I can find anything out. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:43 am 
Fearless Leader

Used that tiny fry pan today - AWESOME! Even with cheese in the egg - everything just slid right off the pan! :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:03 pm 

@ Joan: Don't do any research as I can do my own if I wish. I just thought that you might already know something.

@ Patty: Yep, the things seem to be the real deal. Still there are some things that will stick. Last night I had breakfast for dinner including part of a ham steak. When I do such I like to cook the ham in maple syrup. As a test I did the ham on the flat side of my ceramic grill and let it set over night with the syrup still on the pan before cleaning. I had to scrub the thing but it was still easier than it would be with a normal pan.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:21 pm 
Fearless Leader

Probably not an issue for me, Jay. LOL First, no syrups or anything sugary; second, my diet is very high in fat, so I have to cook with plenty of oil. That egg and cheese I made was cooked in a tablespoon (!) of bacon grease!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion