Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: Cooking tip...
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:14 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hey, most here know that I like to cook. I have been experimenting with a ham glaze and think I now have it down... This is NOT for a raw ham! It is for a pre-cooked or smoked ham.

First; I have been doing boneless hams on my in-door rotisserie but this should still work in an oven as long as you baste every half hour.

Glaze ingredients:
10 ounces of Mango juice. I use Arizona Tea brand Mucho Mango.
1/2 cup compressed brown sugar.
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon plus a pinch.
Put all glaze ingredients in a small sauce pan and heat under medium heat to just the beginning of getting bubbly. Turn down the heat to just warm and keep on the stove.

Prep the ham:
If you have an in-door rotisserie enter the spit as well as possible through the center of the ham... I do not recommend this for a bone in ham as it will be next to impossible to insert the spit through the center. If you do not have a rotisserie just follow the following. If using a rotisserie still do the following but let the ham cook for half an hour before applying the first coating of the glaze.

Just poke in some cloves. It is common to use whole cloves when also doing pineapple. If you have done this I suggest that you use about half the cloves for this than you would use with pineapple. Use a pastry brush to coat the ham with the glaze and loosely cover with foil. Insert a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the ham. Just coat the ham with the glaze, do not use all the glaze.

Cooking: Insert a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the ham. Whether in an oven or on a rotisserie baste the ham every half hour. If you use a meat thermometer cook to atemperature of 140 degrees. The desired temperature for a ham is 145 and it will reach that during a set time of 15 minutes before slicing. If you do not use a meat thermometer figure cooking time as 15 minutes per pound at 325 degrees if done in an oven.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion