Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm in trouble!!! :)
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:42 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I could see phasing out the manufacture of internal combustion but can not see the banning of current ownership.

I can't see the banning of ownership either but "they" can make it mighty difficult if they want to...

e.g. Oxford City Council in England has recently announced they plan to ban ALL petrol and diesel vehicles from the city centre starting (rolling out from) in 2020.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... -cars-2020

As things stand I can't see how mass ownership of electric only vehicles is going to work, there simply aren't enough charging points to make the ideology plausible.

In theory it makes sense and it's probably going to happen eventually but until governments either invest in or set up a standard where the cost of supplying the electric charging points is so massively overpriced to make it attractive to private investors the demand for electric cars simply isn't going to take off.

I don't know the figures for electric/hybrid car take up in the UK but where I work there are 2 electric charging points that largely laid dormant until a few months ago, now there is at least 4 cars every morning "queuing" up to use them.... oddly there appears to be some form of strange "charging etiquette" born out of this new technology where they will greet each other and come to "an understanding" that allows them equal access to the charging stations.

As more and more electric cars are sold I don't expect this "etiquette" to last very long.. human nature is after all inherently selfish... so what then happens if you run out of fuel, or more worringly, electricity (assuming you don't own a hybrid) at the side of the road???

Another thing that I don't think has been thought through is car insurance, not sure what you'd call the equivalent in the US... collision waiver?

Whatever it's called, it's another minefield waiting to happen, not least because who decides when the "driver/owner" didn't update the car's software... I can see the insurance companies fighting tooth and nail that they shouldn't be liable for faulty software if the software is at fault.
cf. [UK] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/19 ... cles_bill/

[Odd thought, is the driver in a driverless car the hardware, or is it the car?]

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:04 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Doddie wrote:
[Odd thought, is the driver in a driverless car the hardware, or is it the car?]

Since the vehicle is metal and plastic it must be the hardware. Since the vehicle also has software that would leave the human as the virus... Or mayhaps the bloatware. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:36 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Doddie wrote:

Since the vehicle is metal and plastic it must be the hardware. Since the vehicle also has software that would leave the human as the virus... Or mayhaps the bloatware. :mrgreen:

Interesting, we're skin and bone, why does that make us less like hardware?

It could be argued our software is our intelligence and that negates the cars software, even if it is subjective.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Btw, bloat just means we eat too much of the wrong stuff.. or think fat is attractive... not sure software writers see it that way but it's true LOL

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:33 pm 

LOL! Back to topic... :mrgreen: The boat showed up today. :) Yes the 'water cooling line label in the first image is for real. It is water cooled. The grease gun is sort of cool. Paid ~$20.00 for the gun and grease but the tube of grease should last just about forever. It is Lithium Marine Grease but I don't see any reason that I can't use it on my car. The tube of grease is only ~$6.00. Most of the $20.00 was for the gun. Ahhh, Actually drive shaft label is not exactly true in the first image. It is actually a tube that holds the shaft. This setup is why the entire drive shaft need to be greased.

The rudder is massive but that is what allows for almost 90 degree turns.

Yes, I'm easily amused. ;) I like the grease gun... About to pull the drive shaft and grease. I just don't trust factory prep... ;) In the image the grease gun sort of looks like plastic but is actually machined aluminum. It works really well. :)

I also ended up spending an extra ~$40.00 for a small APS battery unit. It is 425 VA at 255 watts. I want to be able to charge batteries in the field and my car starting jumper box won't fit in the small backpack I intend to use to carry stuff other than the actual car and boat. The small APS unit easily fits in the pack with room for my tool kit, controllers, extra batteries and grease gun. On battery the APS unit will give me 4 outlets for chargers. It should easily give me enough charging power for a full day at a park. :)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6842301670

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:47 am 

YEAH!! The APC battery pack fits in the main section of the small backpack with both the car and boat controllers on top. It isn't even a tight fit. This is a backpack of a size that many students would consider a 'book bag'.

Other pockets hold the batteries for the car and boat, tools... Basically everything I need to spend an entire day doing radio control at a park. Will have to actually carry the boat and car by hand but that is not an issue. With something like this it is not the vehicles that are an issue as to transport. The issue is all the support stuff.

Sigh, still the best plans don't always work... All set to go to the park on Friday with both the boat and car. Neighbor that is also a friend asks me to drive him around Friday looking for car parts... Oh well, who knows? May still get out with the toys but, if not, a friend has to come first.

As to whenever I actually get to do a 'maiden voyage' I have tested things out as to the boat's functions. Rudder control for steering is fine and the propulsion system also seems fine. Won't be able to fully test the propulsion system until I get it in water. It has to be remembered that the thing is water cooled. The boat has to be moving through water for the cooling to work. Funny thing is that most of the water cooling has nothing to do with the motor other than the main bearing that joins the motor to the drive shaft. Most of the water cooling is for the electronics. Think about it. This is a 17 inch sealed unit that can do over 25 MPH on water. Being a sealed unit the electronics generate a lot of heat. The water cooling dissipates the heat from the electronics.

LOL! This is going to be fun! Even the controller is at a higher level than I've used. There are even 'trim controls' that regulate top throttle and how hard of a turn can be made.

I DO hope to get out Friday but that depends on my friend's needs. The worst case is that I get out Saturday... Hmmm, being the wicked old man that I am... Saturday DOES tend to have a lot more pretty ladies in tight clothes running........ :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:04 am 
welcoming committee

Just remember if you go Saturday Keep your eyes on the boat.
As best you can :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:09 pm 

Wish me luck! Just entered a sweepstake via Horizon Hobbies for a monster RC truck, 1/8 scale and 4-wheel drive. Retail is $699.99. It would cost me a bit even if I won as it does not come with batteries. I can deal with buying batteries as this thing is a beast. Top speed is ~50 MPH.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/lst-3xl-e- ... r-los04015

Currently there are 3624 entries and I have 56 of them. The entries are free and acquired by going through hoops like liking their FaceBook page. Since I've finished the initial entries I will gain 6 more entries per day by visiting two Horizon pages. Since there are 14 days left in the contest I can get another 84 entries if I remember to do it. Of course I don't expect to win but I have a better chance by trying. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Good luck Jay

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:42 pm 

chasbox wrote:
Good luck Jay

Thanks! :)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:56 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Currently there are 3624 entries and I have 56 of them.

The entries are free and acquired by going through hoops like liking their FaceBook page.

Since I've finished the initial entries I will gain 6 more entries per day by visiting two Horizon pages.

Since there are 14 days left in the contest I can get another 84 entries if I remember to do it.
Strung out for nerd/geek alert exposure!
:omg: :rofl2:

I'd now argue there are eight levels of nerd hierarchy after the leader of the Jaylites surfaced with a new level of geekiness, cf:

This is the Modem World: Seven levels of nerd hierarchy
https://www.engadget.com/2013/06/19/sev ... hierarchy/

Oddly googling "jaylite" returns lots of information about a wheelchair cushion which I guess just about sums up the resident geekazoid in our midsts...
One of the product features states: <Excellent lateral and forward/rearward stability achieved via combination of Optiwell™ technology and firmness layering in base – “the pelvis fits the well”>.

Enough said I suspect, good luck Jay :rofl2:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:19 pm 

LOL! Not sure I get the 'Jaylite' reference but I like the nerd list. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:44 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
LOL! Not sure I get the 'Jaylite' reference...

My thinking was that everything/one has a potential cult following, to be listed on the nerd list you'd need to fall into that category, hence, fans of Jay would need to be called something, likely Jaylites in my opinion but I leave that open to discussion! :lol:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay Lacher
Leader of the Jaylites. All hail Jay. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:13 pm 

LOL! I like it! ;) Now we just need something for 'Jaylites' to stand for...

Jay's
Awesome
Yet
Likable
Intense
Tech
Enthusiastic
Souls

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:26 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

Jay's
Awesome
Yet
Likable
Intense
Tech
Enthusiastic
Souls

Boy That's a mouthful

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:28 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

Jay's
Awesome
Yet
Likable
Intense
Tech
Enthusiastic
Souls

I like your thinking but it doesn't work like that, "Jaylites" are your fans so that can't stand for anything! LOL

"Jay" could be, I guess, "Just About Young" but would that be truthful... hmmm? Not sure about that as you've only just recently retired! :lol:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:34 pm 

Doddie wrote:
jaylach wrote:

Jay's
Awesome
Yet
Likable
Intense
Tech
Enthusiastic
Souls

I like your thinking but it doesn't work like that, "Jaylites" are your fans so that can't stand for anything! LOL

"Jay" could be, I guess, "Just About Young" but would that be truthful... hmmm? Not sure about that as you've only just recently retired! :lol:

HEY! I'm the danged cult leader! It can be anything I want! :295: Watch it or you could have the honor of being the first sacrifice. :ghost1:

As far as ""Jay" could be, I guess, "Just About Young" but would that be truthful... "... Look at the 'toys' I'm buying. I'm a kid at heart. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:34 pm 

:rofl2: Oh yes definitely young at heart is our Jay, don't forget Doddie he's our Resident Geekazoid. :twisted:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:09 pm 
welcoming committee

:omg:
Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:33 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
HEY! I'm the danged cult leader! It can be anything I want! :295: Watch it or you could have the honor of being the first sacrifice. :ghost1:

:bow3: :mithut:

LMAO!!! :rofl2:

Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:37 pm 

:rofl2: I think we just may be an odd group of people... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:23 pm 

Hey, check out this monster! At $900.00 on sale it isn't something I'm going to buy but it looks totally cool! It runs on a Pull start 23cc 2-stroke gasoline engine with a 740cc gas tank; large enough give ~40 minutes of run time. 1/5 scale and even has dual disk brakes! :shock: I'd love it but not gonna happen!
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/st ... p-los05010

Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:13 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Hey, check out this monster!...

I couldn't help wondering what it is with Wyoming that seems to bring out this odd behaviour in you Jay, so I did a quick search to find out what the history of the state is and what sports are held there...

Oddly there doesn't seem to be what I'd call a "State Team" in any sport, lots of what I guess you'd call 'little leagues' but I guess that's not surprising given the population size.

I did however run into a website that claims to list the "Top 50 Wyoming Facts"...

Before I post the link I should point out that I had to change the webpage encoding in IE11 & Firefox for the text to display correctly, for some reason colon's, apostrophes etc are borked with the default setting, it is still readable but annoying if you don't why... that said it might be a European thing, I doubt it is though, I can't remember the last time I saw such an issue so I suspect it was the authors choice...

IE11, change the default from View>Encoding>Western European (ISO) to View>Encoding>Unicode (UTF-8)
Firefox change the default from View>Text Encoding>Western to View>Text Encoding>Unicode

Don't forget to change them back!

Anyways:
https://www.movoto.com/blog/opinions/wyoming-facts/

Fact number 1: Wyoming has an official state dinosaur, am I alone in seeing a resemblance with the newly self-proclaimed CH cult leader? ;)

Fact number 11: Never mind Luxemburg, that's about the current population of Edinburgh, Scotland... :o

Fact number 19: I've never seen Patti with long hair so the jury is out on whether that's her but I swear to god that IS Jay... don't let the lack of combat clothing, swept back hair, and horn rim glasses fool you... the big give away, he's got his foot firmly planted on the box with his latest remote control toy inside so no-one can steal it!!

Fact number 26: Absaroka, who knew!

I could go on and the comments section does bring into doubt some of the claims, but for me, interesting none the less :)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:37 pm 

HEY! As far as fact #1 where the heck did you get one of my baby photos!!!? ;)

As far as fact #11 the population is growing. Not sure that is a good thing.

As to fact #19 it isn't me. I got my hair cut so it isn't that long.

As to fact #26 did you know that Texas is the only state in the Union that has it written it its charter that it can secede from the USA on a popular vote?

Cool link Doddie! Thanks. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion