Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: Workstation.
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Where to start with this?...

About 20 years ago i bought a PC workstation that was tiered.. by that i mean, the keyboard was under the desk, the desk was circa 102cm wide, there was a shelf about 47cm above the desk, another shelf to side and above the former about 54cm above the desk... on ground level were shelves wide enough to hold a pc tower on either wide... not sure what the second one was supposed be for so that got confined to a cupboard... on either side were attachment that would hold cd/dvd's, shelves for a PS1 and controllers etc... there was much more going on that was subsequently removed...

The centre section where a CRT monitor would normally sit was adjustable in the height range but with the advent of LCD widescreen monitors it required books to lift the monitor to fit... addition of a second monitor meant over hang and lack of working space.

An upgrade of my work space has long been overdue so I've decided to go for it... my first preference was for glass tops with shelving but it seems that shelving workstations don't really exist anymore... hence i decided not to go for glass tops but something that might be more productive:
http://amzn.eu/3I9rBGM

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to fit this into the room where i have my PC, i have a central heating radiator that even if i place the short side there, it's going to impact.

That said, the extra workspace will be a real bonus... not that i'll know what to do with it at first but it has long been a bone of contention for me that if i want to work on a second PC it means working from the floor!

Anyways:

Phase 1, workstation ordered.
Phase 2, make space for it.
phase 3, buy new chair, old one has lost all of the leather skin after almost 7 years use! LOL
(Would love to buy a direct replacement, i love this chair... no matter how hard i try i can't find it online :( )
Phase 4, (yuk) dismantle current setup and dispose of current workstation.
Phase 5, (yuk) implement 2 & 4.
Phase 6, Build new workstation, do best to ignore fact room needs repainted and this would be the prefect time!!
Phase 7, My wife agrees it's long overdue an upgrade, she's agreed to pay for the new chair for my birthday.... i get to pick, last time she chose one it was sooo uncomfortable she now uses it! LOL
Phase 8, Sit down, enjoy, post to CH... work out what to do with all the post-it notes??? LOL
Phase 9 & 10... hide the dismantled workstation (it isn't small!) out of sight until i get it to landfill/recycling.

Ain't computers fun! :)

Post subject: Re: Workstation.
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:09 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Nice looking 'station. :) The only thing that I see is that you would have to use the desk surface for dual monitors instead of the riser. Mayhaps you could use something to extend the riser...?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

I like it!

I'm thinking that my workspace needs upgrading in the not too distant future, too. I'm actually considering building it myself. :-)

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:24 am 
welcoming committee

What I use for my main system is one of those tables used for church social functions.

I need it for the machine box. Can't put it on the floor. also with two 27 inch monitors side by side I need the real estate. Works but takes up space.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:14 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Nice looking 'station. :) The only thing that I see is that you would have to use the desk surface for dual monitors instead of the riser. Mayhaps you could use something to extend the riser...?

My dual monitor setup consists of 27" & 22" monitors, because the 27" widescreen sits in a "CRT well" I've adjusted the level of the 27" monitor (with books lol) so that it meets the top level of the 22"... given that the 22" already sits on the desk surface i don't foresee any issues with quickly getting used to the bottom of the displays matching in eye level over the top... indeed, it might actually be a welcome move to have the taskbars on the same level :)

As for 'the riser', i assume you're talking about the raised shelf in the corner... the dimensions are 40cm x 40cm which are the same size as my printer so I'm hoping it'll fit well there, depth isn't given in the diagrams on the amazon website so i won't know for sure until i unpack the boxes but at 40x40x? it certainly should be... if the printer won't fit there i probably have no use for the shelf, reading the comments for the unit suggests it is possible to do away with the shelf as long as a suitable means is employed to retain the supporting leg below the desktop.

In any case i wouldn't put a monitor there, my preference is to look at or slightly down on monitors... looking up i find uncomfortable ;) ...That said, shelf or not, it would be the perfect place for a 3rd monitor :)

Fyi, two heavy flat packs arrived today, I'd already mentally planned how i was going to fit this into the room... now i just need to do it! :direct: :coffee1:

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Actually I wasn't really thinking when I mentioned dual monitors not fitting on the riser. Of course you would probably put the monitors side by side on one of the long sides. The idea of using the riser as a printer stand sounds good. :)

LOL! I don't really have a desk other than a small corner desk for my laptop. My main system is pretty spread out. My tower sits on the floor next to my entertainment center. My router, NAS drive and TV tuner are behind the far side of my 42 inch screen. My printer is on a bottom shelf of my laptop's corner desk. That leave my cable modem and UPS battery which are on different entertainment center shelves. It may sound cumbersome but works. Remember that my main system's 'desk' is actually my coffee table with a wireless mouse/keyboard. The only issue is that I have to pull out the chair for the corner desk to turn on the printer or load photo paper in the back tray; no big deal. :)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:49 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
LOL! I don't really have a desk other than a small corner desk for my laptop. My main system is pretty spread out. My tower sits on the floor next to my entertainment center. My router, NAS drive and TV tuner are behind the far side of my 42 inch screen. My printer is on a bottom shelf of my laptop's corner desk. That leave my cable modem and UPS battery which are on different entertainment center shelves. It may sound cumbersome but works. Remember that my main system's 'desk' is actually my coffee table with a wireless mouse/keyboard. The only issue is that I have to pull out the chair for the corner desk to turn on the printer or load photo paper in the back tray; no big deal. :)

I've seen the pics of your apartment, it's really cool! :)

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion