Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Just throwing this out here, just in case...
Quote:
Amazon says subscribers to its moribund Music Storage Service have 30 days to claim any song files they have stored on the service or lose them forever.

The Bezos Bunch says that, on April 29, new subscriptions to Music Storage will be cut off and current subscriptions will be allowed to run out. When that happens, those who have not requested that Amazon save their MP3 files will lose them for good.

To keep your files on Amazon's servers, you'll need to log into your account and check the 'keep my songs' option in your settings. This will preserve your songs until January 2019, when the whole storage service will be shut down.

The move is part of Amazon's long-running campaign to rid itself of the Music Storage offering that allows customers to upload and store their MP3 files. Amazon said back in December of last year that it was planning to kill off the service and has already blocked new users from signing up.

The service will still operate for those who already have a subscription, though they won't be able to renew their subscriptions.
Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/30 ... ice_files/

cf: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... ig-news-20

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:28 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
To be honest I never knew that Amazon had a Music Storage Service where you could upload files...

I DO keep a copy of my music library (photos also) on One Drive but that is just as a backup. I assume the purpose of the Amazon service was to allow music to be accessed anywhere from any device.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:42 pm 
welcoming committee

I didn't either, i knew about Amazon Music but from what i can tell that's a different beast.

What surprised me and prompted me to post about it here was my belief that Amazon was predominantly a file storage facility prior to it's online shopping business, i was surprised to read about them pulling cloud storage (free or paid for is mute) for a single file format (in this case mp3).

It's unclear from either of the articles i posted whether it will be extended to other file formats.

It goes without saying that Amazon have fingers in many pies but this is akin to biting the hand that breast fed the beast imho.

Where it ends, who knows, but it does send a strong signal to me that the best practice of keeping files that matter off the cloud is best practice.

Put differently, i expect when Amazon pull this 'feature' and delete users MP3's we won't have heard the last of it ;)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:56 pm 

I totally agree with keeping files stored locally. My having music and photos on One Drive is strictly as a redundant backup. All these files are also local.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:12 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I assume the purpose of the Amazon service was to allow music to be accessed anywhere from any device.

I can't believe I'm alone on this but i guess i could be, when i put anything in cloud storage i expect it to remain there... my last thought is what happens if A.N.Other changes they're mind, nor should it be.

Fortunately i never back up anything online except some pictures you host on your servers... should the worst happen, i have the originals and back ups of them on my HDD and my laptop and my wife's pc... and on DVD... there isn't in my mind anything else i can do to secure them, copyright isn't an issue for me because they aren't my pictures, however ensuring they exist in the format and quality my grandfather took them in is of paramount importance to me.

I know you will bend over backwards to maintain my files but equally i know that stuff happens and it isn't guaranteed, that said, the likes of Amazon have built multi billion dollar businesses off the backs of people putting their trust in them to maintain their files for them... that hey can suddenly turn around and announce arbitrarily that they are giving notice to remove files of a certain hierarchy is nothing short of scandalous to me...

Put simply, it's an outrage, this decision by Amazon doesn't directly impact on me, I wish it did because until something like it directly impacts on me i don't have a channel to direct my fury at.

The day is coming, the writing is on the wall, my patience will snap, i doubt it'll make a difference but my elected officials will know full well when that day comes.

Edit: That looks threatening, it isn't meant to read that way, but unless you lobby politicians you get nowhere.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:12 pm 

Actually it is rather ironic that you say"I know you will bend over backwards to maintain my files...." as I'm about 30 minutes in to a full local backup of that site. I don't have my own server, I use Green Geeks hosting. While they do a daily backup of all my sites I prefer to also keep an updated backup locally. It takes a while to download the site as it is a total of ~5 GB but I just let it go in the background and it does not hamper me.

Still you are correct. Shoot, eventually, I'll die and my sites will follow. Actually, since my hosting is paid automatically the sites could out-last until the card expires. ;)

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion