Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:08 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'm sort of in kitchen stuff mode. I always seem to be so around the holidays. ;)

Does anyone happen to know what a clambake happens to be? Personally I LOVE them but they are pretty unknown in the area I now live. When I lived on Ohio every fall bars would take turns doing clambakes on the weekends. LOL! I would go to several... :mrgreen:

I am looking for an indoor clambake steamer that could also be used for crab and or lobster for two people and have found two that have my interest. A clambake consists of clams, chicken halves, corn on the cob and sweet taters layered within a steaming pot. The broth drawn from a spigot at the bottom is drained and poured back over the top of all the goodies. The chicken halves are finished on a grill.

Both units are 19 quart pots. I'm a pretty good cook but have a bit of a problem visualizing what a specific sized pot can hold unless I can actually see the pot. Would a 19 quart pot hold two bags of 10/12 clams, two chicken halves, two ears of sweet corn and two sweet taters/yams? Looking at my 8 quart crockpot, and sort of expanding, I THINK that a 19 quart pot could, possibly, hold enough for 3 or even 4 people if small sweet taters and chickens were to be used.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:26 pm 

BTW, here is the unit under consideration.
https://www.target.com/p/black-19-45-qt ... A-10007007

Attachment:
clambake steamer.jpg
clambake steamer.jpg [ 96.51 KiB | Viewed 2970 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

Good questions. I know what a clambake is, but I can't tell you what size pot you need for what you want to good. I would, however, think that 19 quarts -- almost the size of a 5 gallon pain bucket -- would hold what you plan to use... :-)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:51 am 

I think so too Steve but tend to second guess myself a lot. I think that this may be a Christmas present to myself this year. I kind of think that the decals are a bit cheesy but can deal with them. :mrgreen:

As a side note... One thing that was always done at the bar clambakes when I lived in Ohio was to keep the clam broth warm after dinner and make drinks with the stuff. A rock glass with warm clam broth and a shot of vodka is REALLY good as odd as it sounds.

I've already ordered another 'kitchen toy'; an egg cooker that does up to seven hard, medium or soft boiled eggs along with a poaching tray that will do three eggs. I LOVE soft boiled eggs with a broken up piece of buttered bread mixed in but am terrible at getting the eggs as I want in a plain pan of water consistently.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6896705407

Just as a bit of info do you know why a decent egg cooker will include a pin/needle to pierce the egg shell? There are actually two reasons.
1) Even though it is just a minute hole that you can't really even hardly see it allows the escape of internal pressure preventing cracked shells.

2) It allows the release of sulfur within the egg. Ever do a hard boiled egg and have the yolk surrounded by green? While part of the reason is over cooking the actual cause is sulfur. The pin hole allows the sulfur to escape. Not a big deal but allows for better appearance for things like egg salad and deviled eggs.

Another advantage of an egg cooker is that the eggs are steamed, not boiled. Tends to make them much easier to peel.

Sigh, this cooker DOES bring back memories! When I was knee high to a grasshopper my grandfather and I would chow down on soft boiled eggs and fresh baked bread. My grandma had such a cooker as I'm getting to do the eggs. They were always perfect. With the old one my grandma had the piercing needle was built into the bottom of each depression to hold the eggs. In the case of the one I'm getting I THINK that the needle is separate and you manually pierce the shell. In either case it does the same thing. :)

LOL! Can it be figured that I'm sort of into cooking? ;)

Sigh, another grandma thing with eggs as I'm sort of rambling anyway... I LOVE, ADORE and am TOTALLY ADICTED to deviled eggs. When I was little my grandma would often make me a batch. She would use toothpicks and little squares of construction paper to make them look like little sail boats. Isn't it awesome the things that grandmas do? :)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:33 am 

I have a separate little gadget that makes the hole in the egg before cooking Jay, I got it from Betterware but this is the same one on Amazon. I've had it for years and it works quite well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housew ... gg+piercer

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:13 pm 

The unit I bought comes with such a tool Joan.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 pm 

I used to have a unit for cooking eggs, mine took 6 I think, but as I never used it I got rid of it but it didn't come with anything to pierce the eggs. Hope you have lots of fun and delicious eggs from now on. :-)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:10 pm 

The description states that it comes with a piercing tool but none of the images show one. If I zoom in on the measuring cup for the water it looks like the tool is built into the bottom of the cup.

Oh... and sort of sorry about all the rambling a few posts back. I was having a problem with my messed up eye and the V.A. gave me a couple of 150mg Demerol's. LOL! need I say more?

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion