Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:51 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I got a bill for car insurance in the mail today. OK, on the surface, no problem except that I paid it on-line over a week ago. I really sort of wonder how much money companies waste by printing and mailing such things. No mix-up or anything as my on-line account shows paid in full.

Back in the day HP was one of the worst on this. They put out a screensaver/stand alone app of a Parrot fish named MOPY. At the start it was just the fish but you could get accessories for the fish tank. You got these 'goodies' by printing. The more you printed the better the aquarium. Stuff like that just makes zero sense to me as it would seem that HP employees were rewarded for wasting money. Even though the thing was available as a free download for anyone it was done mostly for HP employees. If an employee needed to print one copy of something they were likely to print ten copies so they could get that new plant for the tank they wanted. Years ago I did have MOPY and it was sort of cool for the time, early 1990's. I just wonder how much paper and ink was wasted on this fish. :dunno: While still out there for download don't bother looking for MOPY unless you are running a 32 bit system as it will not run on 64 bit. Oddly it will still run on 32 bit Windows 10 but not as a screensaver.

It isn't just HP wasting money/resources. Computers were supposed to cut down paper usage... Ya right. ;) I would not be surprised at all if the lost revenue due to this type of waste isn't in the billions.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

The amount of paperwork that I receive in the mail that is absolutely redundant because I had it online already is actually astounding. It's also irritating to say the least. And I know it is a waste of money -- which we are all paying for.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:25 pm 

Don't know if you can still do this but there at least used to be a form that you could submit to the post office to prevent any 'junk mail' being delivered. If still possible I'd do this in a second but for the fact that my older sister travels and sends me post cards. If I opted for the no junk mail thing I would not get her post cards as only first class mail would come through.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:55 am 
Site Admin

We do pretty well on minimal junk mail -- there are even days with no mail delivery at all. :-)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:35 pm 

That sounds a bit like me Stephen, I told the postman the other day it's the only way I have paper recycling the junk he brings, there are weeks when there isn't enough to make it worthwhile putting it out. :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:19 pm 

I actually get almost no junk mail but a lot of people do. Being in an apartment the mailboxes are all in a central location. We even have the mail person trained to not put store fliers and such in the boxes. There is a small table by the boxes and those store fliers get left as a stack on the table for any that want. Most end up in the trash.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion