Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post subject: I just HAD to do it!
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:40 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Anyone old enough to remember the old graphic RPG game Baldur's Gate 2? It was released during the era of Windows 2000. This was one of the first really good graphic RPGs based on Dungeons & Dragons. It was a 'group RPG' which means you were playing with a party of characters instead of just a single character. One of the best features, other than pretty decent graphics for the time, was that battles were real time instead of turn based as with such games as Final Fantasy. I will also say that it was well written. I still have the install CDs and, while I have not tried on Windows 11, the thing still works fine with Windows 10. For most that have played Baldur's Gate 1&2 they are considered one of the all time classics.

So what does that have to do with today??? Well after 23 years Steam announced the release of Baldur's Gate 3. Looking at the trailers the graphics are near photo realistic. It is also huge, taking ~150GB of drive space. Good thing I upgraded from a 500GB system drive to 1TB or I wouldn't be able to install. Plenty of space on my data drive to install but my data drive is a spin drive and the game requires an SSD for access speed. That alone indicates what the graphics must be like. I'm glad that I have a monster video card with 12GB of GDDR6 VRAM. Also reviews are overwhelmingly positive. This IS a mature gave with intense violence and some nudity.

Never in my life have I spent this much on a game, ~$60.00 USD, but I loved the first two versions so much that I just could not resist. Sigh, the only downside is that I still have about an hour and forty-five minutes of download to suffer through. :( :mrgreen:

Official launch trailer if interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T22wNvoNiU&t=13s

Post subject: Re: I just HAD to do it!
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:44 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Very early in I'm impressed. :) So far the only disappointment is that the battles are turn based but the interface for this is better than I've seen before.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion