Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: I HAD to buy it...
 Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:00 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Other than my main system I also have a computer in my bedroom for media that is networked to my main system. The current system is an OLD Dell Optiplex GX 520 that really does not even run Windows XP all that well.

I've been looking on Tiger Direct and Newegg for a while with a reconditioned systen in mind. Saw one today that I could not resist. I'm not a fan of Lenovo but that is just from what I have heard, not personal experience. I got a Lenovo ThinkCentre M82 small form factor with a 3.2 GHz. I5 CPU, 4 GB RAM and Win 10 Pro. The graphics are shared and there is no HDMI port although there is a Display Port. Since my bedroom HDTV does not include a Display Port I'll either get a conversion cable or a low profile video card with HDMI out; probably the card as I would rather not 'share' system memory. For now I'll just use VGA and audio connections as is the case with the current system. In fact I may just leave it that way, even with a new card, as the TV has only 2 HDMI ports and both are in use with a Blu-ray player and a receiver for my laptop's wireless HDMI. For a bedroom the Phillips 2-1 speakers I have do just fine.

For $159.00 I could not turn it down.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 2PF3W50105

Post subject: Re: I HAD to buy it...
 Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:16 pm 

Hey, I have a question about setting up the above system...

Since the system will be running Windows 10 Pro instead of the XP install on the old system it will have full internet access via a USB wireless adapter. Actually an unusual adapter to me as it is not just a dongle but rather a small unit that even has an antenna. It just connects via USB.

Anyway my question is if it matters if a USB wireless adapter is affected as to if it is connected via USB 2 or 3. My download speed is ~66 Mb/sec. Would I get better throughput using a USB 3 port over using a USB 2 port? I tend to doubt that there would be a noticeable difference but don't really know.

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

http://pcworld.com/article/2360306/usb- ... gined.html

"The now-aging USB 2.0 standard can theoretically transfer data at a very high 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps). That’s impressive, but not as much as the newer USB 3.0, which can handle up to 5gbps (640MBps)—over ten times as fast as the 2.0 maximum."

http://homenetworkadmin.com/wireless-b- ... ifference/

Wireless AC 1 Gbps
Wireless N 300 Mbps
Wireless G 54 Mbps
Wireless B 11 Mbps

So, that said... Use the USB 2.0 connection as it supports the theoretical max much higher than the theoretical max speed on B, G, and N.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:35 pm 

Thanks Steve. :)

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:33 am 

Well the danged thing showed up today... I'm actually quite pleased so far.

During the initial setup it asked for a product key and it kept failing. It is a key stuck on the side of the box. I decided to skip the step and proceed. When I was at the desktop I thought that it might be that the product key was automatic but it was not. I went to activate and it failed due to the lack of a key. I selected to change product keys and entered the key on the side of the box and it worked fine doing so through Windows. I think that I know why the key failed initially but won't make this longer by explaining unless someone asks.

I'm still doing updates but am, so far, quite pleased. Of course the boot time is no where as quick as my main system but, once booted, it seems to run VERY quick. I MAY put in a larger hard drive as the installed is only 256 GB but will wait and see. As I intend to network to my main system the 256 GB drive may be enough. In the network I will share from the main my media drive and data drive. Even the 'simple games' that I like a lot MAY possibly be run from the network as they really don't need installed. They will even run from a flash drive but, if put on another system, just means that you start from the beginning.

I'm happy to say that the USB network adapter that will be used gave me no grief. On the old bedroom system this adapter gave me a little grief to get working as that older system could only run XP decently. Even with XP it did not stream well. On the new system I just plugged in the adapter and it was immediately seen and installed.

The new box is running Windows 10 Pro so I will be able to set Windows Updates to only notify. For me this is a good thing. ;)

I seem to have messed up a little but will allow to complete. The new system is running Windows 10 version build 1607. The download is taking quite a while. I just can't remember all the build numbers but suspect that it is downloading to go the Anniversary release. If I had thought things out I would have just put in my DVD for the release and saved some time. If the thing showed as already installed I would switch disks to the Creator's build to see. Hind sight is always 20/20 and I'm not really concerned. I'll just let it churn along through this initial update process and see what build it shows. If the build shows below the 1703 build version on my main system I'll just throw in my DVD for the Creator's build. I THINK that it is probably doing the Creator's build right now as I THINK that 1607 is the Anniversary build.

Bottom line is that, initially, I am very happy. The refurbish on the system was done by U.S. Micro which has an excellent reputation from everything I've seen so I'm not too concerned about the quality of the re-build. Of course I opened the case to check things out before applying power but there was nothing to find as it was totally clean with all connections solidly mounted. The cooling is extreme with an intake fan, dedicated CPU fan, case exhaust fan and an exhaust power supply fan.

The normal Newegg refurbished was something like $300.00. I happened to hit on an overstock situation and paid $159.00 with free shipping. Unless something blows up I'm a happy camper. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay - Yes, 1607 is the Anniversary Build.

But I don't understand when you say that with Windows 10 Pro you will be able to set Windows Updates to only notify. I did not think that was possible. I run Win 10 Pro, and I never saw that option. All I can see is that I can pause updates for 35 days. Am I missing something?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:31 am 

There is no visible setting for this in Windows 10 BB but it is still available through a Registry hack. THIS HACK ONLY WORKS IN WINDOWS 10 PRO NOT HOME. I use the WinAero Tweaker to apply the hack without having to manually mess with the Registry.
http://winaero.com/download.php?view.1796
If you look at this tool be careful to select the correct link.

The tweaker will also allow you to return Updates to the Control Panel. It also has many other 'hacks' such as bring transparency back to the Start Menu and Taskbar. You can also change system fonts to whatever you want as long as the font is installed on the system.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:29 am 

sboots wrote:
http://pcworld.com/article/2360306/usb-3-0-speed-real-and-imagined.html

"The now-aging USB 2.0 standard can theoretically transfer data at a very high 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps). That’s impressive, but not as much as the newer USB 3.0, which can handle up to 5gbps (640MBps)—over ten times as fast as the 2.0 maximum."

http://homenetworkadmin.com/wireless-b- ... ifference/

Wireless AC 1 Gbps
Wireless N 300 Mbps
Wireless G 54 Mbps
Wireless B 11 Mbps

So, that said... Use the USB 2.0 connection as it supports the theoretical max much higher than the theoretical max speed on B, G, and N.

-steve

Hey Steve...

The wired connection to my main system is ~66 Mb/sec and the same for my laptop. With the USB adapter on the new system I'm only getting ~8.5 Mb/sec. These numbers are according to speedtest.net.

Please give me your advice... ;) I already have the new system networked to my main system for such things as my movie library... well actually all data is shared. Since this is a secondary system for the bedroom and movies stream fine from my main system do you see any reason that I should replace the wireless adapter? I DO have a few internal card slots. Personally the only issue that I can really see is that it will take a little longer to do Updates and/or install downloaded apps.

Hmmm, just had the thought that I haven't tested Netflix yet. Yet I really don't expect an issue there as it is reported that the highest bandwidth for their system is ~3 Mb/sec.. I really can't test Netflix at this time as the system is upgrading to the Creator's build of Windows 10; it just would not be a fair test. ;)

With my stated use for this system do you see anything wrong with my thought that I should just leave things as they are?

LOL! Manny would probably shoot me for complaining about an ~8.5 Mb/sec connection speed :mrgreen:

Just for grins I might just try connecting the adapter to a USB 3 port to see if I get the same results. ;) Doubt that there will be much of a difference, if any, but one never knows.

Sigh.... this is to all... While I tend to be 'verbose' in my posts I am tending to be more so than normal. I will try to tone it down. The actual issue is that I have just 28 days left of work before I retire and I am SUPER hyper.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:14 am 
Site Admin

You can try the different port, assuming you haven't already, but the problem is more likely to be the driver for the adapter. If the performance for streaming is okay, though, I wouldn't be concerned at all with that speed. How old is that adapter? What spec does it support? (802.11b, g, n?)
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:52 am 

Old enough to work on XP. ;) It does have Win 10 drivers available.

Supports b/g/n

http://www.alfa.com.tw/products_show.php?pc=34&ps=8

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:13 pm 

Connection speed problem solved. :D

I cheated. :mrgreen: I ran a wire. ;) Right now the system is on my living room floor so it was a simple matter to go to a wired connection. When I finish installing everything and move it to the bedroom it just so happens that there is an electrical outlet in each room that are back to back. I'll just run the wire through the outlet covers. :)

I think that the Alpha (Realtek chip) USB adapter is just junk. I've tried three different driver sets and the speed won't improve.

<edit> I'm probably better off with the wire. Just tested a video stream and it is better. With the wireless a movie would play fine but would lag a bit if I skipped to different parts of the movie. With the wire I can see no difference between streaming and playing directly on my main system.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:24 pm 

Just saved myself a world of work by being sneaky... :mrgreen:

I currently have 586 movies and music videos on a 4 TB internal drive on my main system. Accessing these from the new system is no problem as the drive is shared between the two systems within my network. Still there was a problem.

I have an Excel spread sheet that is set up to be a movie menu. I open the sheet, decide what to watch and just click on the title to launch. Of course this spread sheet will not work on the new system as the 'path' to the movies is different as it is a network location instead of local files. I can still view everything but I have to manually hunt through 586 options to find what I want to view... NOT an eloquent solution. ;)

The solution! :) I opened the spread sheet on my main system and then saved as a single file web page. Now, through my web site editor, I have global find/replace. I have my 4 TB drive partitioned to F: and G:. First I did a global find and replace for all references to F: and replaced with the network location; did the same for G:. I then used my network to copy the new file to the new system. I loaded it into Excel and then saved as a normal Excel spread sheet.

Bottom line is that it took me about 15 minutes to do this instead of MANY hours manually changing the links in the original spread sheet and it all works. :mrgreen:

In the future, as I add more movies, I just have to make the entry twice; once on my main system and once on the new. LOL! A VERY happy camper sitting here! :D

<edit> Since I'm talking about manipulating Excel and web page files I should probably move this to advanced as this is not something that a novice user would fine easy to do...

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:26 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
In the future, as I add more movies, I just have to make the entry twice; once on my main system and once on the new. LOL! A VERY happy camper sitting here! :D

Well, you are retiring in 28 days, after which you will probably have enough time on your hands to make each entry FOUR times. Maybe even SIX times on those mornings you don't sleep late.

But I truly hope you have a great retirement.
:cboy1:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:29 pm 

LOL! It is a difference between 2 and three minutes to update stuff. I'm in the process of putting up the final of all this so stay tuned... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:41 pm 

All is done and all is working perfectly. :D

I didn't need to go through the wall outlets to connect to my router wired. I just used a 12 foot Ethernet cable to go around the corner to the bedroom system. I had to move the router over a bit for the 12 foot cable to reach the bedroom system but I have plenty of such cables so it was a null issue. There is ~1/2 inch of clearance between the carpet and the bottom of the bedroom door so I'll just 'tack down' the Ethernet cable around the corner.

I'm a happy camper. EVERYTHING is working perfectly! :D

Volume is higher than it would be if I were actually laying in bed reading but you can get the idea from the following video. Not a lot of an audio system but the large 'box' to the right of the monitor with the blue light is a sub-woofer. The speaker on top of the woofer is matched on the left side. The music is streamed from my main system. I was a bit surprised that I did not need to create a new playlist but it sort of makes sense. I did not copy the playlist over to the new system. Since my music library is shared through my network I just went to the playlist and made a shortcut on the new system's desktop then pined to Media Player. It worked without a hitch as did my audio books using the same method. What is cool about this is that, if I modify my main playlist on my main system, it SHOULD carry through to the new system as to the changes as the playlist on the new system is really just a shortcut to the same playlist on my main system. :D

[youtube]QDPWrMwzAV0[/youtube]

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:31 pm 

bbarry wrote:
jaylach wrote:

Well, you are retiring in 28 days, after which you will probably have enough time on your hands to make each entry FOUR times. Maybe even SIX times on those mornings you don't sleep late.

But I truly hope you have a great retirement.
:cboy1:

Actually, if I just make a shortcut to Excel media menu on the new box, I probably won't have to do anything. Since it worked with my audio play lists I don't see why it would not with the menu.

BTW... It isn't 28 (would be 26 now) days till retirement. It is now 16 as I moved up my last day at work by 10 days. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, I better say congratulations real fast.....or by the time you receive this, you may already be retired, lol.

Actually I did the same thing when I retired. They wanted me to stay until the end of the year, but I moved it up to 31 October.

Anyway.......congrats. :drink9:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:05 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Actually I did the same thing when I retired. They wanted me to stay until the end of the year, but I moved it up to 31 October.

Anyway.......congrats. :drink9:

Actually, in my case, it was a necessity that I move the 'quit work date' up 10 days. I also give Social Security credit for catching my mistake and letting me know so I could correct.

Remember that I'm retiring at 62 and a half years old. This means that there is a limit as to how much I can make in a month and still get my SS benefit for that month. Initially I wasn't thinking about the SS payment that I'll get in July is actually for June. If I had not adjusted my 'quit work day' I would have been well over the monthly limit.

I DO have to say that, so far, I am quite impressed with what I've seen from Social Security. They did not have to notify me to let me know that my scheduled last day at work was putting my first benefit deposit at risk yet they did.

I also would have not guessed that they work 365 days a year. According to the benefits booklet they sent you may be contacted by phone if there is an issue on weekends and/or holidays if the issue might affect your benefits; who would have guessed?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:56 pm 

DOWN TO HOURS! :mrgreen: AND COUNTING DOWN!

23 hours and 4 minutes from the time of this post until I am happily jobless. :)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

:-D

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:52 pm 

sboots wrote:
:-D

To be honest I am, of course, all excited and anxious. Still, at the same time, it is in a way sort of scary... After all it is a total change of life style. :)

While my last day at work is 6/17/17 I don't think it will really hit until next Tuesday as I would normally be off work Sunday and Monday. I know myself and here is what I see happening Tuesday. I wake up and see the time and think, "Oh, Crud! I'm late for work!". Then I realize and smile as I put on a pot of coffee. :) I think this is when it will really hit.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:32 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, you can always wake up, get dressed, and go to Walgreens to BUY something!

BTW.....congrats on job well done.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:31 pm 

:multi8: YIPPEE!!! :nana1: As of 31 minutes ago I am officially retired! :mrgreen:

Actually feels a bit strange as only one other time in my life have I quit a job without another job to start. ;)

I guess I was a bit popular with my photo customers as several dropped off 'retirement presents' for me. :) I found this just a little embarrassing but it was well appreciated.

Hmmm, now to major decisions... Do I pay $35.00 for a 1 year fishing license or $350.00 for a life time license? Just kidding here as I will buy a 1 year license to see if I still enjoy fishing as I haven't done in many years. After that who knows? One aspect of fishing that has always had my interest is fly fishing. I've never done it but have always been interested. I MAY try it but will wait a while.

In reality I think that I'm going to just chill for a month or so and see if anything pops up that I want to do. One thing that I'm sure that I will do is to just point my car in a direction and go. I think that most know that I enjoy photography. Living in Sheridan WY I am in the middle of some of the best photo opportunities in the country. There are the Black Hills and Badlands in the Dakotas. Hot Springs and other in Yellow Stone... Grand Tetons, Rushmore. Shoot, I could spend a month in the botanical gardens in Spokane Washington.

I find myself almost overwhelmed with the opportunities I now have. Heck, due to my military disability status, I can actually hop a military flight on a standby basis to anywhere in the world that has a U.S.A. base for something like $25.00.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing