Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Icon with question
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:41 am 
welcoming committee

I have short cuts on my desktop to all my various drives. Lately one of them, a shortcut to a VERY old 160gig drive, has started to show a blue question mark on top of it, not all the time, just occasionally. The drive still appears to work even when it has the question mark. What is this all about?
Acadia

Post subject: Re: Icon with question
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:13 am 

Sorry I can't help Acadia it's not something I've seen. :-)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:23 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia
I don't know why that happens. Try this, Safely remove the drive. Then unplug it.
Delete the icon then plug in and start the drive. Make a new shortcut

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:43 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Can't say what is actually causing the question mark but it signifies an unknown device.

If this question mark was involved with multiple drives I'd suspect a possible mother board issue but that is not the case.

Is this an external or internal drive? If external do as Chas suggests. Even if internal I'm going to give the same basic advice below but with a different method. In either case DO kill the shortcut and create a new one.

1) Open the case and make sure that the drive connections are secure. If the case is full of dust use this as a perfect time to use a can of compressed air and blow it out. LOL! Do the canned air bit outside or GG will kill you! It is messy. ;) NEVER use a vacuum to get rid of dust as they tend to generate static which can be catastrophic to a system.

2) Just in case run a full diagnostics on the drive. Since the icon indicates an unknown device it is not impossible that it could be a drive issue.

3) If the drive passes the diagnostics right click on it in Device Manager and remove. Now shut down the system and physically remove the cables, both power and data, from the drive and boot to Windows. Shut down again and connect the drive and boot to Windows. This will cause Windows to re-install drivers for the drive.

If this and Chas's advice does not work we can go ahead and rebuild the icon cache which is a data base containing all the established icons. If this proves to be needed this post will be moved to Advanced as it will involve command prompt entries.

I almost suggested to just get rid of the thing as it is 'VERY old' and only 160GB but that would not really be fair especially as to the size. After all I DO have a 50GB partition on my SSD for processing videos.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing