Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Size of Backup HD
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:32 pm 
welcoming committee

I have a system with an extra (read D:) drive mounted. It is 500GB in size. When I set it as the Windows10 backup drive it will back up for a week, then Windows tells me there is no room for any more backup. I thought Windows would remove older backups and just keep going?
Am I incorrect on Windows managing the backups?
Do I just need a larger drive? - - seems like it would fill up no matter what size it was.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post subject: Re: Size of Backup HD
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

What type of backup have you configured? The Windows 7 flavor of backup? File History will delete older copies as it makes room for newer copies. System Image and Legacy/Windows backup does not cleanup old backups automatically.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:18 pm 
welcoming committee

It is the Windows 7 flavor Steve. I will look into the File History.
The problem is that with File History I understand one looses the Image, is that correct?

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

You can run the System Image backup once and periodically as desired, but will need to delete ones you don't want any longer manually. Let File History take care of data for you.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Sounds like a plan Steven. That is what I will do.
Thanks so much.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:56 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You could also switch imaging software. Disk Wizard would not be a bad free choice. It is Acronis True Image in a 'lite' version. I go redundant on images with Acronis and Windows Imaging. I do Acronis on a daily schedule and Windows when I feel like it. It has been a while since I've looked at Disk Wizard but believe that it also allows schedules and the option to create a new image on schedule deleting the old when the new is complete. I DO believe that you need to have a Seagate drive installed to use Disk Wizard.
http://www.seagate.com/support/download ... 04090aRCRD

BTW, Nice to see ya again! Stop in now and then and say hi. :)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:27 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
You can run the System Image backup once and periodically as desired, but will need to delete ones you don't want any longer manually. Let File History take care of data for you.

Steve, now you have me all confused, which admittedly is fairly easy to do.

I thought that if you used the Win 7 flavor of backup in Win 10 (like BillG is doing), you were indeed using the old Win 7 backup utility called Backup and Restore. Therefore, you could create system images automatically and select what Win 7 does with older images (I select to delete older ones and keep only the newer one). So I am not running out of external drive space like BillG is.

Now, when I use File History on my Win 10 computer, I do indeed have to separately select system image (and separately delete the old one if that's what I want). I can select to create a system image via Control Panel>File History and then clicking on System Image Backup in lower left corner.

But BillG says he is using the Win 7 flavor. So I thought he could easily minimize external drive utilization by selecting to manage his backup disk space and deleting his old image automatically.

OK, now you or Jay tell me what I'm missing. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:11 pm 

I'm not sure that you are missing anything BB. In fact I thought about mentioning the disk space management but did not do so as I've never used it as I do my Windows images manually

You may well be correct and disk space management could solve the issue but I just cannot confirm

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:13 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I'm not sure that you are missing anything BB. In fact I thought about mentioning the disk space management but did not do so as I've never used it as I do my Windows images manually

You may well be correct and disk space management could solve the issue but I just cannot confirm

All I can say is that I do automatic backups weekly on my Win 10 computer using Win 7 flavor disk space management, and it works as I described.

@BillG - If you are interested, I can show you how I do this using the Win 7 Backup capability. But as Jay will attest, I'm sorta a backup freak, so I also use File History and therein manually create yet another system image.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 pm 

I'm glad to hear that you have proven this BB. I just have not done so. This is good to hear. I look forward to your detailed description as to how you set this up. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:11 am 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:
sboots wrote:

I thought that if you used the Win 7 flavor of backup in Win 10 (like BillG is doing), you were indeed using the old Win 7 backup utility called Backup and Restore. Therefore, you could create system images automatically and select what Win 7 does with older images (I select to delete older ones and keep only the newer one). So I am not running out of external drive space like BillG is.

Now, when I use File History on my Win 10 computer, I do indeed have to separately select system image (and separately delete the old one if that's what I want). I can select to create a system image via Control Panel>File History and then clicking on System Image Backup in lower left corner.

But BillG says he is using the Win 7 flavor. So I thought he could easily minimize external drive utilization by selecting to manage his backup disk space and deleting his old image automatically.

I don't know that you're missing anything. :-) I haven't used Windows 7 backup in ages, and never under Windows 10. I do use File History. The last time I used Windows 7 backup I had to manually clean up old backups. If there is an option to allow Windows to do this (outside of Disk Cleanup) within Windows Backup, I've overlooked it. :-)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:16 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I'm glad to hear that you have proven this BB. I just have not done so. This is good to hear. I look forward to your detailed description as to how you set this up. :mrgreen:

Glad I could finally teach you something, Jay. :lol:

On my Win 10 computer, I start with Control Panel and then implement the following steps: Control Panel>Backup and Restore (Windows 7)>Manage Space. This will take you to a screen where you can now select how disk space is used by Windows Backup for both system images and data files.

To automatically free up disk space used for system images, click Change Settings, then select the radio button for "keep only the latest system image", and click OK.

To manually free up disk space used for data file backups, return to the previous screen and select View Backups. This will take you to a screen listing all the backup periods. You can then select a backup period(s) to delete. I usually keep the last two periods.

That's it.........

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:32 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
bbarry wrote:
sboots wrote:

I don't know that you're missing anything. :-) I haven't used Windows 7 backup in ages, and never under Windows 10. I do use File History. The last time I used Windows 7 backup I had to manually clean up old backups. If there is an option to allow Windows to do this (outside of Disk Cleanup) within Windows Backup, I've overlooked it. :-)

Steve, with Windows 7 Backup you must still manually clean up old data file backups, but you can select to have Windows automatically delete all but the last system image. And I thought it was system images that we were talking about.

I also use File History, where I select to keep my data file backups for one year. As you know, the choices range from one month to forever. When using File History, I also create a system image, and old images must indeed be deleted manually in that case.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:55 am 
welcoming committee

Just a note, hoping not to confuse anything here, but I do have it set to delete old images, and to manage disk space. Perhaps it is just the small size of the backup disk that does not allow windows to do all the managing possible. I hope to switch to File History later today and will see what happens with that.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Bill!! Good grief, good to see you here. Tell Fred, Bart, and Douglas (in your Avatar) that GG and I say "Hello" and that we will see them about a month.
Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:45 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes indeed.
Looking forward to it.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:23 pm 
welcoming committee

BillG wrote:
Just a note, hoping not to confuse anything here, but I do have it set to delete old images, and to manage disk space. Perhaps it is just the small size of the backup disk that does not allow windows to do all the managing possible. I hope to switch to File History later today and will see what happens with that.

It could indeed be the size of your backup disk. It might be that Windows keeps the old image until the new one has been created. So until that process is completed, Windows needs enough space to retain two system images......then it will delete the old image.

I know I ran into this identical problem using Acronis 2016 to create a new system image and delete the old image. My system image size was about 235GB, so I allowed 300GB on my backup disk. The backup failed for lack of sufficient disk space......Acronis needed enough space for two images until the backup was successfully completed. Once I allocated 500GB for backup purposes, the backup was successful.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:17 pm 

Nice to see you back Bill. :-)

I do a File History backup once a week on a 500 GB external drive and I do an image each week but I use the free version of Macrium Reflect. You can set Macrium up to keep so many images and it will delete the oldest also it will tell you when you are down to a certain amount of space on the drive you are backing up to. I have an external 1TB drive for the images.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:42 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
Nice to see you back Bill. :-)

I do a File History backup once a week on a 500 GB external drive and I do an image each week but I use the free version of Macrium Reflect. You can set Macrium up to keep so many images and it will delete the oldest also it will tell you when you are down to a certain amount of space on the drive you are backing up to. I have an external 1TB drive for the images.

Thanks for the welcome Joan. :)
I will just have to see if the image will go onto the disk (although I do not expect to do a new image more than once a month). That is easy to see as you have to do the image manually.
The file backups are being done each day and hopefully File History will manage them.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:45 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
It could indeed be the size of your backup disk. It might be that Windows keeps the old image until the new one has been created. So until that process is completed, Windows needs enough space to retain two system images......then it will delete the old image.

I know I ran into this identical problem using Acronis 2016 to create a new system image and delete the old image. My system image size was about 235GB, so I allowed 300GB on my backup disk. The backup failed for lack of sufficient disk space......Acronis needed enough space for two images until the backup was successfully completed. Once I allocated 500GB for backup purposes, the backup was successful.

I will just have to wait and see how things go for right now.

William A. Gustafson

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing