Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:43 pm 
welcoming committee

This has been brewing for a wee while now but because the investigation was carried out by a German broadcaster (so mostly all the updates were written in German) I've not been able to follow where it was going, until now.

Firefox & Google Chrome have silently removed the Web of Trust add-on from their browsers, I suspect they won't be the last.

Quote:
A popular secure browsing tool has been pulled from web stores following a privacy lapse.

The Web of Trust (WoT) add-on is used by millions of people to check if sites safeguard data and are safe to visit.

An investigation by German broadcaster NDR found that the firm behind it sold user data without properly anonymising it.

NDR was able to identify individuals' sexual preferences, health and surfing histories from data that was sold...
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37909126

PC Magazine expands slightly on the data collected and it's not pleasant reading...
Quote:
The WOT Privacy Policy states that your IP, geographic location, device type, operating system, browser, the date and time, Web addresses, and overall browser usage are all collected, but that it is "non-identifiable." But NDR found that it was a simple task to link the anonymized data to individual users of the service. The data retrieved included:
•Account name
•Mail address
•Travel plans
•Illnesses
•Sexual preference
•Drug consumption
•Confidential company information
•Ongoing police investigations
•Browser surfing activity including all sites visited
Source: http://www.pcmag.com/news/349328/web-of ... be-trusted

The original NDR article (in German) can be found here:
http://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/netzwelt/ ... tz100.html

On a personal level I don't use WoT myself, I looked at it once and decided that while in principal it was a good idea it wasn't for me, I like a 'bare' browser without 'additional' bells and whistles such as 3rd party toolbars etc.

Ironically, the Ad Blocking software I use comes bundled with a WoT extension but fortunately(?) I have that disabled. It'll be interesting to see if they remove the WoT extension.
Disclaimer: I'm a beta tester for the above ad blocking software so will refrain from naming it here until advised by Patty or a Mod that it's ok to do so.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:55 pm 
Fearless Leader

I don't see any reason why you can't name it, but you certainly don't need to.

I'm not surprised, particularly as Google is involved. (You can't tell me Google didn't know exactly what was going on.) I use AdBlock Plus in Edge just because it's available and the internet has become almost impossible to navigate without an ad blocker these days. I've never used one before. I certainly hope AdBlock is not involved with this.

In fact, thanks to a post by Acadia, I am actually now using Vivaldi as my default browser. I still open Edge now then, mostly without thinking. Almost never use IE now, which has no ad blocker other than its pop-up blocker.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:53 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
... I am actually now using Vivaldi as my default browser...

Cool. Now that I finally have some time (after hurting my hiking feet for the third time in three years, doctor's orders, no hiking for some time :cry5: ) I might now actually try one of my own recommendations, Vivaldi (and if it is as good as the composer it is named after...).
Acadia

Hey, Jay, you need a "climbing the walls" smiley, because that is what I am now doing, again. Also might get to FINALLY, after all these years, to reading that book you recommended to me, Stranger in a Strange Land. I have it here somewhere in a box that I have not unpacked yet since our move. Also planning on re-reading David Eddings stuff.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:41 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
I don't see any reason why you can't name it, but you certainly don't need to.

I wasn't sure how the land lay here, some people (and Forums) get quite annoyed about their use so thought it best to ask before I opened that can of worms, again ;)

Fyi I use Adguard, more specifically Adguard for Windows:
https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html

Although it is for the most part *not* free certain elements are, e.g. The browser extensions are free.

Also, the Beta programme for the various full 'desktop' versions is still open to anyone who wants to join, you just need to head over to their Announcements Forum and follow the instructions for the version you desire. Typically you are sent a 1 year Beta licence but I have no idea how long that will last, I'm on my 3rd licence renewal and still there's no indication of the testing programme ending :)
https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?for ... ements.53/

I tried Adblock Plus a few years ago and while it may have improved since then I got really annoyed at how a lot of websites got wise to the software and effectively blocked the website until I turned off Adblock Plus, it defeated the very purpose.
I also found that Adblock Plus slowed my browser down quite a bit, again, that may have changed since I last used it.

I can count on one hand how many times a website has insisted I turn off Adguard, even then, after a quick post on the Adguard Beta Testing Forum the issue is usually resolved within a day or so by new 'filters' being uploaded to Adguard.

I rate it very highly, right up there in my top 10 list of must have pieces of software on my PC.

That said, Beta versions aren't for everyone, I've never had a major issue with it myself that's effected anything other than the occasional release that's stopped filtering like it should... a PITA at the time but I'm getting it for free so really can't complain, and when things like that happen they move extremely quickly to fix it.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:00 pm 
welcoming committee

I swear I'm not making this up :rofl2:

I just noticed the Adguard icon in the notification area is signalling i have an update to download, reading the Release Notes, amongst other things right at the top it says:
Quote:
# 6.1.281.1494:
New beta fixes several bugs and makes some changes to UI. Also, recent WoT controversy is addressed by making WoT extension disabled by default.

[Changed] WOT extension is now disabled by default

Recently, an article was posted in one of the popular technology blogs ghacks.net, claiming that Web of Trust is selling its users' browser history to third-parties. WoT extension is preinstalled in Adguard for Windows, and although it was developed by us and is not sending any of your data to WoT, we can not leave this without a reponse. For this reason we make WoT extension disabled by default in Adguard for Windows. You can read our official stance regarding these news in our blog blog.adguard.com.

BTW i should've mentioned this in my previous post, the reason for the pigeon English at times is because Adguard is Russian and English isn't their developers first language.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:15 pm 
welcoming committee

Fyi to expand on the ghacks article that Adguard referred too in my previous post, it can be found here:
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/01/browsing-history-sold

If I'm reading that right then it wasn't just data collected by WoT, it was multiple browser extensions? :evil:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:17 pm 
Fearless Leader

Acadia wrote:
Also might get to FINALLY, after all these years, to reading that book you recommended to me, Stranger in a Strange Land. I have it here somewhere in a box that I have not unpacked yet since our move. Also planning on re-reading David Eddings stuff.

All favorites of mine as well!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:18 pm 
Fearless Leader

Thanks for all the info, Doddie.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:35 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Yes, thanks Doddie. :)

I don't think that you will be disappointed by Stranger In A Strange Land Acadia. Just keep in mind on some of the 'science' that it was written in 1961.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:27 pm 

I used to have WOT on my machines but when they all went to Windows 10 I forgot about it and never got round to installing it on any of them.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:49 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
...In fact, thanks to a post by Acadia, I am actually now using Vivaldi as my default browser...

I must be missing something, Patty but doesn't Vivaldi use Java, if I'm not mistaken that's something you've long been against?

It looks that way if you read their homepage?
Quote:
One of the things that makes Vivaldi unique is that it is built on modern web technologies. We use JavaScript and React to create the user interface with the help of Node.js and a long list of NPM modules. Vivaldi is the web built with the web.
Source: https://vivaldi.com/?lang=en

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:56 pm 
Fearless Leader

Java and JavaScript are two entirely different animals, Doddie. Vivaldi uses JavaScript, like all other browsers I'm familiar with. It is Java that I won't install on my machine.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:26 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
May not be needed but just to clarify...

Java is a stand alone programming language that will run if you just open the file. It does not need a browser to run. In this case it is like Adobe Flash in that both are normally viewed within a web browser yet do not actually need the browser.

JavaScript is a scripting language. If you have ever written a macro for Word, Excel, etc., it is a weak but acceptable analogy as in both cases a specific program is needed that has the ability to process the script. As to a macro it is reliant on the program for which it is written. As to JavaScript it is reliant on a browser that can process the script. JavaScript is VERY powerful but safe. What makes JavaScript safe is the fact that it contains no function to write to your hard drive. I could write JavaScript code to run your printer out of paper (I think; never tried) but could not actually touch your hard drive.

The software for these forums uses a LOT of JavaScript but zero Java.

Is that a new avatar Patty, or have I just not been observant? Looks good! :)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:37 am 
Fearless Leader

Thanks, Jay. I figured I'd lost enough weight after the last one to merit a new one! :)

(And very observant, I'd say, since I only uploaded it yesterday evening.)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:05 pm 

First visit since yesterday and I was just going to remark on your Avatar Patty but Jay beat me to it. :D
You're looking good, the hairstyle suits you especially with those sunglasses. :urock:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:57 pm 
Fearless Leader

LOL Thanks, Joan. :) The hair is just so darn easy!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Patty, if I can get better looking as I get older as you are evidently doing ... :multi8:
Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:37 pm 
Fearless Leader

Ha ha... thank you, Acadia.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:40 am 

I know what you mean about short hair being easy to look after, used to wear mine short but hubby didn't like it, said it made me look old, what does he expect I'm 73 :rofl2: I just have a pony tail now. :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:43 am 
Fearless Leader

You just have to do the short hair right, Joan. ;) I've found that a "pixie-ish" look is quite young looking. Of course you have to use the right hair products that actually turn your hair from the straw that it is into something silky looking. LOL

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Patty, if I can get better looking as I get older as you are evidently doing ... :multi8:
Acadia

Patty represents that "new life form" that Bones and Kirk were talking about. She never ages! Very nice picture Patty! :D

If I have read and understand correctly W.o.T. has become W.o.T. and I should disable or remove it from my browsers?

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:10 pm 
Fearless Leader

Thanks, Terry. And yes, apparently you should remove W.o.T.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Is there another extension that will work like W.o.T. but without the information leaks?

I downloaded Vivaldi and I agree with you Patty. The browser has a very nice, clean and efficient look to it. After a few spins around the block I'll have a good handle on using it. It gets two thumbs up from me as of now. :tup3: :tup3:

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:52 pm 
Fearless Leader

Terry, I'm not even sure what WoT does.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:32 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Terry, I'm not even sure what WoT does.

My interpretation was based on a colored chart it would display a colored ring or donut, ranging from dark green=good to red=unsafe, in the upper right hand corner of your browser that indicated whether a website was safe. The information was gathered by WOT through website codes and information provided by user members. Maybe we've been bamboozled by WOT all along.

https://www.mywot.com

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing