Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:06 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I THINK that WoT compares a web address against a data base of address that have been reported as having issues. I've never used it so could be totally wrong. *IF* I am correct I see another issue... what if a site is hacked and you hit it before it is reported?

Personally, as to protection against sites that put out malicious code, I recommend MBAM Pro.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:43 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
I don't see any reason why you can't name it, but you certainly don't need to.

I'm not surprised, particularly as Google is involved. (You can't tell me Google didn't know exactly what was going on.) I use AdBlock Plus in Edge just because it's available and the internet has become almost impossible to navigate without an ad blocker these days. I've never used one before. I certainly hope AdBlock is not involved with this.

In fact, thanks to a post by Acadia, I am actually now using Vivaldi as my default browser. I still open Edge now then, mostly without thinking. Almost never use IE now, which has no ad blocker other than its pop-up blocker.

Interesting post. Firefox still has WOT on addons page. When I found out that Google was involved by running a CCleaner dupe cleaner months ago, I was dismayed. The problem that I have with WOT is that it isn't particularly useful, as it would block pages perfectly suitable for children and perfectly safe. I would always add my own rating in those cases.

First thing, as I have been using Adblock Plus for a decade (you are right, you can't go anywhere without it), is that I would be surprised if ADP knows about it. I don't remember a tie-in or a recommendation from them except their Easy List (Element Helper, and their browser for tablet/phone). If you can add Fanboy's list, I highly recommend it. I have written to and had very prompt responses from Wladimir Palant. I suggest that you ask him if he sold out. He's very reachable in a number of ways.

Re WOT, their "trustworthiness" was based on things I would not prioritize as trustworthy enough, such as would I get infected? The active participants seem to have different standards of judgment than I do. I have gotten used to the green circle though. Will remove. Other FF addons include Trust My Web and Insight, but I don't know anything about them.

MacDuffie, Adblock Plus came out with an IE version quite a while ago. On the last Win10 update, I lost the icon, but it's still working, because I disabled and then re-added it unnecessarily (it hadn't been removed). I only use IE to determine if HTTPS blocked a site too much or if it's Adblock. 100% of the time, it's HTTPS Everywhere or the site is actually not functioning. (As I have complained about MS and their brutal invasions of privacy, suffice it to say I don't use Edge.)

The Avira icon also disappeared shortly after I started with it, but I know it's working. I guess there is too much crap (and not enough) to make these programs fully function throughout the different configurations we all use.

On another note, and I think this is the most important for everybody, The EFF (the Electronic Frontier Foundation) is on our side. On their home page https://www.eff.org/, I suggest you look at their Projects (right side of page) and see what they are doing. You will find HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger there (I tend to have conflicts, but if I write, I get an immediate response.) Defending civil liberties in the digital domain is their mission and for those of you not familiar, they fight for fair use and IP, online privacy, abuses of DMCA - etc. They testify in Congress. Etc.

One other thing I will say, I know that Google is Mozilla/Firefox's biggest contributor, but they (Mozilla) are a non-profit and have a foundation, and they really seem to be an honorable company. People should feel free to disabuse if I am being naive. I try to follow everything that interests me, but there are not enough hours in the day.

I am not familiar with Vivaldi, but it's nice to have options.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:02 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
nancy wrote:
Interesting post. Firefox still has WOT on addons page. When I found out that Google was involved by running a CCleaner dupe cleaner months ago, I was dismayed. The problem that I have with WOT is that it isn't particularly useful, as it would block pages perfectly suitable for children and perfectly safe. I would always add my own rating in those cases.

Sigh, from the above I don't think that you totally understand what WoT is supposed to do. You MUST understand that a site may look total innocent as to content and be very friendly toward children. At the same time this 'innocent' site may infect your system. The bad guys tend to aim at the very young and old.

Again I recommend using MBAM Pro.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:02 pm 
welcoming committee

Sigh.

I am very familiar with the sites that block me and I wonder why somebody ranked it as both unsafe and untrustworthy, while I KNEW it was neither. Knowing is different than thinking I know, okay?

May contain malware is a warning that I take very seriously, unless I know the site doesn't.
As far as offensive to my tender eyes and ears - feh - it almost never happens.

I found a site blocked by Google via Firefox. It was from a "controversial" professor with "Stop Badware" warnings. I almost split a gut. Found another way in - and people are using their personal preferences to block free speech in some cases.

My utmost and top priority is in keeping my computer as safe/secure/prirvate as conceivably possible under all conditions.
My concern lies where people may have an agenda. I don't know about your experience, Jay, but it has been an agenda-filled 2015-2016.

I love MBAM. Don't use the pro version, though they offer it all the time.
As far as AV, I tried BitDefender, but not only did I have issues, customer service was IMPOSSIBLE.
They never answered. Doesn't pay to be #1 if you can't help your customers/users. Similar experience with Macrium whose backup image failed me so totally when I needed it the most.

Thank you for the interesting dialogue.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing