Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Microsoft updates
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:18 pm 
welcoming committee

Is Microsoft still trying to update this planet to Win10, even after the freebie period?

Acadia

Post subject: Re: Microsoft updates
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:20 pm 
Fearless Leader

Why not?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:01 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Why not?

Heh, so is MS now behaving like politicians, lying to us devoted to them (we, who give them their fat paychecks) about that freebie date, "after that date, everything is safe, we will not force you"?

Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:01 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As far as I know there is no longer an auto upgrade to Windows 10 but, if you initiate, you can still get for free.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:35 pm 
Fearless Leader

I don't understand your point, Acadia, or why you are saying what you are saying. Please ensure you have included all relevant data. Thanks.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:34 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Please ensure you have included all relevant data. Thanks.

Oops, sorry about that, my bad. In my anger with MS I just posted and tried to get on with the rest of my day, which had the morning ruined by MS. This is my opinion, I am open to being shown that this was my fault.

Yesterday I went downstairs as usual to turn on both of our desktop pcs. They ALWAYS boot up, no problem. Yesterday BOTH of them would not boot up. Weird coincidence that two excellent functioning systems would not boot up on the same morning? Then a message appeared on GG's system. The screen was completely black but a message popped up, something about Windows updating. I freaked! I have auto updates turned off on both of our systems, I do it all manually. I also keep careful records/logs about what MS updates I have installed. What could be updating? Then I smelled a rat, a MS Win10 updating rat. I checked my notes, indeed, MS had sneaked in the KB2952664:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/312780 ... pears.html

http://windowsreport.com/windows-7-kb2952664/

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/10/05/micros ... kb2976978/

I had been unticking and TRYING to hide that update whenever I did our MS updates. I assumed after the free period ended for Win10 that I no longer had to check for that update. WRONG!! Again, my bad, knowing MS I should have known better. Indeed, that KB was on both our systems.

Fortunately, you know Mr. Backup, I was able to restore both systems to a time before I had installed that update. But even that was a struggle. That Operating System updating process, if that is what it was, digs down deep into the system. Long story, no need to go into the gory details, but thanks to Instant Recovery for GG, and Macrium Reflect for me, I was eventually able to get everything back to normal before KB2952664 had ever been installed. Both of our systems have worked perfectly, AGAIN, since then. But I had to reinstall a bunch of other KBs that were also lost from going "back in time", and updates for two of my major programs. I still need to update everything on GGs system. Thanks a bunch, MS. :mad7:

Again, I will issue an apology if someone can show me how I caused all this. :peace:

Acadia

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Not surprised. That why I still have Never10 installed

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:15 am 
Fearless Leader

Wow, Acadia. No, I think it is MS who owes the apology! Not that you'll ever get one. :(

Honestly, I think their entire behavior over these upgrades to 10 has been a disgrace.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:20 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, if I can dish it out, I should also be able to take it, that is apologize. Peter called me this morning and said, "Bill, I don't think is was MS that hosed your two systems yesterday". Apparently the latest software update for Emsisoft Internet Security, my AV and software firewall, has been causing a lot of black screens for people. So, Microsoft, I apologize.

At least I found that the KB was on my system and I removed it, but that KB was probably not causing the black screens. Still puzzled by the message that GG got on her black screen about "Windows udating" :dunno:

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Well, if I can dish it out, I should also be able to take it, that is apologize. Peter called me this morning and said, "Bill, I don't think is was MS that hosed your two systems yesterday". Apparently the latest software update for Emsisoft Internet Security, my AV and software firewall, has been causing a lot of black screens for people. So, Microsoft, I apologize.

At least I found that the KB was on my system and I removed it, but that KB was probably not causing the black screens. Still puzzled by the message that GG got on her black screen about "Windows udating" :dunno:

Acadia

I have to correct something here Acadia. I suspect the problem may have been Emsisoft, but we don't actually have any proof. I did do a windows update this morning, but I am very careful what I actually allow. I didn't see any evidence of any Win 10 stuff being offered to me.

Last month there was an update that was supposed to remove the GWX, and I applied it. Also I have my Anti exec set to block Gwx.exe and I saw no attempt to on anything to run

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:36 pm 

I got a black screen this morning on my Asus Notebook but I'm already running 10 on it.

A restart sorted it out but not sure what caused it. Turned it off last night as normal, this morning plugged it back into the battery pack, opened the lid and pressed the On button. Lights along the front came on and the hard drive light was flickering for a while but then went steady, the screen was just black and the only thing showing was the cursor.

I don't remember it making the normal start up sound which is part of the system, it usually shows the Asus logo at the same time, left things alone for a while till the hard drive light went out. I pressed and held the power button till it switched off and all lights went out, unplugged the battery and left it for a short time.

I then did my usual start up procedure and it booted up as normal to the desktop, although it didn't seem slower than usual. I thought perhaps there had been an update which was slowing the system down but when I went to Settings, Windows Update the last time any were installed showed as 09/11/2016, so I don't know what happened.

It's been running as normal since then so we'll see what happens when I switch on in the morning. :?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:14 pm 
welcoming committee

Sheesh, now I might be finding (one source only, trying to verify it) that the infamous KB2952664 may have been included in the new Monthly Quality Rollup stuff, for either October or November or both. I may have that %#&* thing back on my system since I installed the latest Rollup just yesterday AFTER taking my pc "back in time", AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. But did it cause my problem yesterday? I still do not think so but I still want it off my system. Don't you just love the simplicity of these computer thingies? No wonder newbies and grandparents get so befuddled. :silly3:

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:07 pm 
Fearless Leader

No wonder indeed!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:08 am 

KB2952664 does NOT install any OS upgrade as far as I can find. What it does is to allow the current version of the installed OS to be ALLOWED to upgrade.

My guess is that previous in depth instructions were not followed but, of course, I can't really know.

My guess is that you never used Never10 to remove already downloaded files for the upgrade to 10 as instructed in the lengthily thread on this topic. You may have blocked the upgrade but never removed the involved files.

My guess, and it IS just a guess, is that KB2952664 re-enabled the ability for your systems to upgrade. Since the files to do so were never actually removed they, once again, became active.

Like I said, this is just a guess but I cannot duplicate the issue on my Win 7 install on which I DID follow procedure and had Never10 remove downloaded files.

I just do NOT believe that MS has slid back in an update that initializes a download of Windows 10. To me it is just inconceivable that they would throw away the potential billions of dollars that this would potentially cause through class action suites as they had announced that this process was ended. That would seem to constitute breach of contract on the part of MS and I just do not see it happening.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:03 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks everyone. Yeah, as stated, I no longer suspect MS. But what in the world was the "Windows updating" message that GG got on her black screen? Oh well, a mystery we'll probably never figure out.
Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:15 am 

YW. :)

Of course I can't know but think it possible that the upgrade was indeed Windows 10 if Never10 was used and removed if the following are true.
1) When Never10 was installed the option to delete downloaded setup files was not used.
2) When Never10 was removed the system was set back to default values.

You see Never10 does not prevent the downloading of any updates at all. All it does is to automate the registry entry changes Ed Bott put out to make Windows refuse to allow any upgrade. If this value is set back to allow AND all other files are present, I can see the upgrade possibly taking off.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing