Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:40 pm 
welcoming committee

Most likely my own fault. I was unaware that it wasn't a good idea to run Windows Defender and MalwareBytes at the same time, and so had not turned WD off when MWB was installed. It's off now.

My computer blue screened with a message a bit ago while I was watching a YouTube Video. The message that came up said my computer had encountered a problem, that data was being gathered (I can just imagine what data it was) and that the computer would be restarted as soon as all needed data was uploaded. A short reference was given to give Microsoft if I wished to call them.

Since no key stroke or mouse input was recognized the power button was used to shut things down. When I restarted the computer MWB was not running and could not be accessed from the desktop icon. Going to Apps list gave an option to use MWB Chameleon, and that opened MWB. A quick scan showed no problems. MWB still will not open from the desktop icon.

I should have installed Sandboxie as was recommended in my last post in Windows 8/8.1/10 by Peter 2150 and seconded by Acadia. Now that the horses are gone I'll close that barn door.

Ron the Irritated.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:41 pm 
Fearless Leader

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program, so shutting down Windows Defender is not a good idea. I've used both together for several years now with no issues. For all I know you ran into a Flash issue. Who knows. Your turning off the machine with the power button likely caused some damage. What operating system are you running? You might see if a system restore will fix things, or a system image if you have a recent one. If not you might try uninstalling Malwarebytes and then reinstalling it. And turn Windows Defender back on, or get another antivirus program.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Soooo - Malware Bytes isn't an anti-virus program I take it. Every day I learn something new. WD is turned back on. After running the full MalWare Bytes scan (as opposed to the short version) it opens from the desktop icon again. I'm running Windows 10, 64 bit.

What is a Flash issue? Malware? Virus? The term is new to me.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:51 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
At times Flash Player can be a little problematic although I think Patty was just using it as an example as it could have been anything.

Nope, MBAM is not anti virus, it is anti malware. Personally I don't think there should be but there is a distinction between the two. Do you run MBAM free or Pro? If the free version it does not even run unless you bring it up. Even though it is a yearly subscription I recommend the Pro version.

While it may have just been a glitch that happened it is also possible that you got infected. When you ran the full (Threat Scan) scan was anything found? The reason that I ask is that MBAM Chameleon's sole purpose it to repair and allow MBAM to run if a malware infection blocks it.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:10 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm running MBAM Pro, it seems the best course. When the full scan ran it found nothing. Now that Windows Defender is back on, I'll run a full scan with it also.

Thanks for the clarification.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:25 pm 
Fearless Leader

DRam, I was referring to Adobe Flash Player, which is what YouTube uses to play videos. It is a very vulnerable program to malware, including zero-day infections, meaning they are out there being exploited the same day they are discovered, giving the antivirus or antimalware vendors no chance to protect you against them on an immediate basis.

Glad your MBAM Pro is back on the job. :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:00 pm 
welcoming committee

You might not consider MBAM Pro an antivirus, but if you install something that insists you uninstall any AV's it will object to Mbam. Just be aware.

Also note some significant changes are coming to MBAM Pro. It's in beta now.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:26 am 
Fearless Leader

Anything that insists I uninstall, or even disable AV (or firewall) in order to install, I dump right then and there.

Any hints for us, Peter? On what's coming with MBAM Pro?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:59 am 
welcoming committee

Their objective is to eliminate the need for other Antivirus's What they have done is combined their malware protection, web protection and added their Anti Exploit protection and Anti Ransomware all into one product.

It's off to a good start although there are issues.

On the av thing, the one product that does that is the free Sophos home product. It's pretty good, but I've not been comfortable with the approach. But I am talking with them and they are looking at changing the approach. Sophos is extremely well thought of in the industry so it's worth watching them. Also they have acquired Hitman Pro, and are looking at incorporating some of it's technology. That could be very powerful in a free home product.

In case you don't know Hitman Pro Alert has really come on strong as a powerful security program.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:54 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the information about Flash Player. Given that it seems they issue security updates frequently my assumption was that it was safe to use. Apparently not.

If I install Sandboxie, will Windows Defender need to be turned off?

And, when MBAM Pro adds all the extra features Peter2150 lists will that necessitate Windows Defender being shut down?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:28 pm 
Fearless Leader

I don't have the answers for you, DRam. Peter may know.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi DRam

1. Sandboxie. Should be no problem with Windows Defender. It is what they recommend. Biggest conflict with SBIE is Kaspersky. You can look on the forum and see the AV's that might conflict

2. I don't know for sure, but I think the new mbam will be okay with Windows Defender

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:24 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'm totally agreeing with Patty that Flash is likely to have been the cause of your issue. While a VERY small sample I had two customers today that normally submit photo orders through their phone come in and use our kiosks. Both said that Flash had crashed on their phones and they could not run our app.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:47 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks all. Your help is appreciated.

Ron

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing