Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:12 pm 
welcoming committee

As shown below, my 2nd hard drive (Disk 2) contains two named partitions....Drive D (97.66GB) & Drive N (304.95GB), plus an unallocated partition of 62.26GB and two small recovery partitions. I want to resize Drive N; specifically I want to reduce the size of the unallocated partition and assign most of the space to Drive N.

I am trying to do this using EaseUS Partition Master, but I don't know how to get around the fact that the two recovery partitions are in my way, i.e., they reside between the unallocated partition and Drive N.

Help would be appreciated.....thanks in advance.

Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 78.25 KiB | Viewed 6273 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:10 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The problem is that the unallocated space is to the 'left' of N: instead of on the 'right'.

What I would do is to create a folder on a drive that has enough room and copy everything from N: to that folder.

Since it looks as though an OS is also installed on drive 2 I would create an image of drive 2 to an external just to be safe. You will want to include everything on drive 2.

Now delete all three partitions to the right of the unallocated space. You should now have a block of unallocated space ~367 GB in size.

Now just create a partition using all of the unallocated space assigning a drive letter of 'N'. Copy everything back to N: that you saved to the folder above. Once everything is proofed delete the system image of Drive 2.

If there are any issues restore the image from the external.

Important note!
The above procedure MAY disable your ability to reset the install of Windows 10 on disk 2. Since you do system images I do not consider this a major issue.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:09 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. One more question before I proceed. Why is it that I might be disabling my ability to reset the install of Win 10 on disk 2? Is it because I will be deleting the two small recovery partitions? Or maybe I don't understand what you mean by "reset the install".

This is my old computer where I am running Win 7 and Win 10 in dual mode - that's why you are seeing an OS installed on drive 2. And being an old computer is why the internal drives are so small (my new computer running only Win 10 has two 2TB internal drives, plus an SSD).

My need to resize Drive N is because during a 'full' backup process, Acronis requires twice the space of what you are backing up. Then after the new backup is successfully completed, Acronis will erase the old 'full' backup (provided you opt to keep only one full backup).

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:34 am 

Yes my warning was due to the small partitions. Where they are located makes me doubt that they have anything to do with the Windows 10 install but I still thought the possibility worth stating.

By resetting Windows 10 I mean using the recovery option to 'reset' the OS to clean install state.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:54 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, now I understand. But since I have current system images, I'm not going to worry about these recovery partitions.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes from here.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, that worked like a champ. Your step-by-step instructions never fail me. Thank you.

The only step I didn't have to do was to copy the contents of N: to another folder. The contents were garbage because they consisted of an incomplete/unfinished Acronis backup (my original space problem). So I just deleted the contents and went from there.

Acronis is currently backing up to the 'new' drive N:, which should now be large enough.

FYI, I previously contacted the Acronis forum and asked if I could exercise a risky option of deleting the old backup before starting the new one, so that I wouldn't always need double the space. They said that option did not exist, and that if space was a problem for me then I should purchase/use a larger drive. But I chose to turn to Computer Haven for help, and you came through. Thanks.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:05 pm 

Glad that it worked for you. :)

Actually you could have deleted a previous image before starting a new but no on a schedule. You would have had to do it manually.

The problem was that the unallocated space and 2 small partitions were to the 'left' of N:. Windows Disk Management cannot touch such a situation. EaseUS Partition Master can do it but just making everything unallocated was the easier option.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:20 pm 
welcoming committee

I do that Acronis backup on a schedule......monthly since it is my seldom-used old computer.

I was using EaseUS Partition Master (and not Disk Management) to do the resizing. But I couldn't figure out how to do it because of the 'left of N:' problem. I will say, however, I do like the EaseUS utility.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:30 pm 

I also like EaseUS. I have the 'Pro' version of Partition Master which has more options. Still I believe that the free version also includes the option to expand a partition while keeping the data that is on the area being expanded to. In other words you could have established a partition on the unallocated space and then expanded to the right selecting to keep existing data. I THINK that the free version has this option but am not sure. Regardless, especially since the data on N: was garbage, the method you used was the easiest.

I also have EaseUS data recovery. This utility has recovered data that Recuva would not touch. I've never had to use it on my systems but have recovered other people's data on hard drives, flash drives and memory cards.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing