Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: No internet connection
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:28 am 
welcoming committee

This is strange. Every computer in our house except my HP Pavillion will connect to the net either through our router or wired.

When I try to connect a page with a broken heart icon and the message "You're not connected. And the web isn't the same without you. Let's get you back online. *Check that your network cables are plugged in. *Make sure you are not in airplane mode. * See if your wireless switch is turned on. *Restart your router. Then, highlighted: "Help me fix it."

The message has been clicked and it brings up a diagnostic that tells me to restart the router.

Other observations:
* WiFi was turned off (not by me). I turned it on, exited back to my browser to find the same message as above, then navigated back to Network Settings to find WiFi once again turned off. I turned it back on and it has stayed on since.
* I went to a diagnostic again, the result was 'lack of ip address'. When I checked my router details everything was there.
* When started the hard drive gives a loud buzz.
* MalwareBytes keeps popping up a 'blocked website message' saying that an outgoing website "Windows System32/svchost.exe" has been blocked - not sure of the exact format, but the words are right.
* This started after I opened and replied to an email from one of our long time friends. No internet use for approximately 28 hour previous to that. The problem manifested about five hours later with no use between.

So, virus? Dead hard drive? Or just random computer behavior?

Thanks everyone.

Ron

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 am 
Site Admin

You noted that it began after opening an email. Was that email legitimate? Do you suspect it to have been the cause?
What antivirus software are you running?
Have you run a full scan with it and also with Malwarebytes?
Are you running Windows 10?
You might consider a Reset with "keep my files" - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ry-options
Is your data backed up?
A full factory reset may be the way to go.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:03 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
DRam11 wrote:
When I try to connect a page with a broken heart icon and the message "You're not connected. And the web isn't the same without you. Let's get you back online. *Check that your network cables are plugged in. *Make sure you are not in airplane mode. * See if your wireless switch is turned on. *Restart your router. Then, highlighted: "Help me fix it."

I assume that by "When I try to connect a page with a broken heart icon and ..." you mean that when you try to go to a site you get a broken heart icon instead of the desired page.

I've never heard of such a message but would definitly suspect an infection. If using Windows Defender I'd suggest not just doing a full regular scan but also an off-line scan.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:45 pm 

I get a dropped connection on the odd occasion but only usually on this Asus which is the furthest away from the router and connected via WiFi. Don't get any message like that but if it seems to be taking a long time to get to a page I just look down at my taskbar and see the icon shows I'm not connected.

I'll go look at the other computers to check if they're still connected and check to see if the router is still on and if they're all OK I find that doing a shutdown wait a few minute then doing a complete restart and everything is back to working.

If I've tried to go the route of re-establishing the connection I've had the message to go the restart the router way but that's not made any difference most times.

That's my experience of losing connection but as I say it's only my Notebook that it happens to and I know it's clean.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:45 pm 

BTW, after scanning, and if nothing is found, totally remove power from the system. Power down and remove power from the wall and, if a laptop, remove the battery. Tap the power button a few times and connect back the power. Power up and see what happens.

You can also go to Device Manager and un-install the wireless device. Restart the system and allow Windows to reinstall the device.

To add to Steve's questions, what browser are you using?

Also, have you followed the general advice on these forums and created system image backups that you could use to restore your system to before the issue started.

Another also... ;) You could try doing a system restore to a date before the issue started. In this case I mean System Restore within Windows, not restoring a system image.

Sorry to throw out all these thoughts but I know it can be frustrating waiting for a reply after posting back on one suggestion.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:36 am 
welcoming committee

As of tonight I have run a full Windows Defender scan, both on and off line, and a full MalwareBytes scan. The full online scan took close to four hours and scaned approximately 2,300,00 files. No problems were found. The offline scan took far less time and scanned about 58,000 files. I tried to a system restore. It failed due to a program or something it could not open. The option to undo the failed system restore was attempted, it also failed.

I am running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Window Defender and MalwareBytes Pro, and my browser is Microsoft Edge.

In what is left of the evening I will try a complete power down and uninstall the wireless.

I called the friend that forwarded the suspect email, she said she has had no trouble with her computer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We are headed out tomorrow to spend Thanksgiving with relatives, but I'll try to report back before we leave.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:07 am 

The failed system restore concerns me. Do the other options and see what happens.

Do you know anyone with a USB wireless adapter you could borrow? If so I'd love to know if it works. It would help to point toward a possible hardware failure.

Hmmm, old trick that probably does not apply but go to the properties for your wireless adapter and click the tab for Power Management or Advanced depending on the adapter. Un-check the box to allow Windows to turn off the device and apply and OK your way out and re-boot.

Have a GREAT time with your family!

:turkey:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:23 am 
Site Admin

DRam11 wrote:

I called the friend that forwarded the suspect email, she said she has had no trouble with her computer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We are headed out tomorrow to spend Thanksgiving with relatives, but I'll try to report back before we leave.

It seems that your friend has confirmed that the email was legitimate, so that suggests that the timing of the problem may be coincidental.
It could still be an oddball malware infection, but with both Defender and MBAM coming back clean, perhaps less likely.
I'm not concerned about the failure of System Restore so much, but if you tried the Reset with "keep my files" that I suggested yesterday and encountered a failure, that would be more concerning.

Have a great Thanksgiving.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:45 am 

I think that I'd keep the reset of Windows as a last resort as it only saves your data. All software would need to be installed again. There IS a way around this where you can save all your apps and still do a reset. You just use the Windows Upgrade Tool to create media for the same or newer version of Windows and launch. Select to keep data and apps and let it go. The problem here is if the issue is caused by a bad app that app will be carried over.

If you have not yet done the 2017 fall upgrade this MAY be a good thing to try.

Again the question as to if you have an image backup...

Personally I'm beginning to think this is a hardware issue... If the total power removal and un-installing through Device Manager both fail is there any way that you could connect wired? If everything is OK wired it would help to take away from the possibilities of a wireless hardware issue.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:28 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Again the question as to if you have an image backup...

Bingo. That would most likely, unless it is something really strange beyond my pc knowledge, solve everything and within minutes.
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:02 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. Last night I drove the total power off including taking the battery out and unplugging it from the wall with no good results. I also uninstalled the wireless adapter and allow the computer to reinstall it again with no good results. I opened up the diagnostic panel and get the answer that Wi-Fi doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. However the phone I’m working on right now my wife’s phone and two other computers in the house all can connect and do so I wonder if the problem lies in my computer. I do not have an image made up I’m not even sure what that is. We’re packed and just about ready to leave so this is going to have to wait until Friday or Saturday before I can get back to it. Again thank you for your help and I’ll take up the bottle again this weekend have a great Thanksgiving all.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:56 pm 

Have a good trip. :) When you get back I'll have some commands for you to enter to reset some of the connection aspects. If they are not here waiting for you remind me... ;)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:36 pm 

1) Open a command prompt. To do so type cmd in your taskbar search box.
2) Right click on the resulting 'cmd.exe' and select to run as an admin. A command line box will open.
3) Enter ipconfig /renew and hit enter. Note that there is no space between '/renew'.
4) Enter ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter. Note that there is no space between '/flushdns'.
5) Restart and see what happens.

If there any errors returned on the above commands report what is said. I doubt that this will really help as it isn't really that your wireless isn't working but rather that it turns off. Still worth a shot.

If still bad it is my guess that your adapter is faulty.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:27 pm 

Thanks to Doddie here is a link that will give you several possibilities to try.
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04649175

Actually here is a link directly to the troubleshooting guide most closely related to your issue. It will save you a couple of clicks and time looking for the link.
http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide ... 72a-28a2a3

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Success at last. Going to the troubleshooting site given above and follow it to the very last suggestion, which was to replace the wireless adapter, solved the problem. Thank you all for your suggestions and your time. It’s good to have a group out there who knows computer and can help those like myself who know very little.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:51 pm 

I'm glad that it is working now. :) I guess that my 'hunch' on it being a hardware issue was correct.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing