Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:23 pm 
welcoming committee

I don't mean the connection that connects to other devices such as phones or external devices (USB a/b/c/ whatever, who cares!)... but the piece that plugs into a PC or charger.

That end of a USB cable must surely be the most devious connection ever devised by man... no matter how you try to get the connector to connect to the device first time it never works first time!!

If there is a simple way to tell how i should connect that cable to a PC or phone charger as i reach towards the socket, I've yet to discover it... I've heard chatter that suggests it may have something to do with the small holes on the sides... but i really don't care... USB sockets and cables are the spawn of something.... i don't care, i just wish it would work without turning it 180 degrees. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:57 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If it is always going in the same plug just mart the cable as to which side should be up or to a side... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:03 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
If it is always going in the same plug just mart the cable as to which side should be up or to a side... :mrgreen:

Tried that, it doesn't work... damn thing is purposefully designed to annoy me... as if that wasn't annoying enough, the damn mobile phone manufactures have recently decided to change away from the default connectors :(

Leaving aside phones, even mice and keyboard USB sockets have driven me nuts for as long as i can remember :(

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 am 

I usually find that the side that has the USB sign on it should face up, that is when your holding the gadget the right way up, although on a Nintendo it shows the name instead.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:40 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
I usually find that the side that has the USB sign on it should face up, that is when your holding the gadget the right way up, although on a Nintendo it shows the name instead.

That assumes that where the cable is going to be plugged in it's going to follow a preset protocol, which of course it doesn't... any number of factors come into play... the top of a pc will likely be vertical, or horizontal, where as the rear or front could be vertical, or horizontal... :mad6:

As for connecting a USB cable to an external plug... that depends on which way the plug socket is mounted on the wall... or more likely, if a multi socket adapter is in play... which way the adapter is laid out on the floor/wall, upside down, sideways, back to front, inside out? etc.!

With all the will in the world checking which side of the cable has the USB symbol, it means nothing if there is nothing on the corresponding socket that tells you which side the USB symbol should be on.

I kind of hoped that USB3 might have addressed this issue but now that i have access to USB3 i see my hopes were futile... and my frustration continues... why it's so difficult to work out how to connect a USB cable to a USB socket first time every time will remain, it seems, a mystery to me. :twisted:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:20 pm 

Another way that could perhaps help is if you look at the inside of the plug end and you'll see more of a solid bar along the top and then more space at the bottom so when you come to connect them the solid part goes into the empty part. On some, like the Nintendo or the Kindle and my Nokia Lumia phone the connection is smaller but it is a special shape. Instead of being an oblong with straight sides they are straight along the bottom and the top is curved.

I don't know if that makes sense to you Doddie but it always works and so far I've had no problems.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:38 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
I don't know if that makes sense to you Doddie but it always works and so far I've had no problems.

It makes sense but because of the location of many USB sockets it's not always possible to see the 'solid bar', e.g. The back of my PC has 4 horizontal and 3 vertical sockets that i can't see unless i pull the tower out... I've got a battery charger that has the socket on the bottom of the plug (cable inserts vertically upwards) so unless i lie on the floor and look up... :lol:

I wouldn't class this as a problem but i do find it frustrating at times, bewildering even that users are happy with the status quo and mildly amusing that no-one has apparently even sought to try and find a way to ensure first time insertion/connection happens ;)

Even a simple white mark on the male and female connectors, that had to align, would probably go a long way towards helping... but then, perhaps it's just me, again :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:08 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You could always add your own 'white mark'. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:34 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You could always add your own 'white mark'. :mrgreen:

Good idea, I've got lots of USB devices so will need lots of pens, PM me your billing details so i can bill you as an Amazon payee :295:

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing