Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: developer's page
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:57 pm 
welcoming committee

hi guys,
I have a very puzzling question and hope that you can help me resolve the issue.

I've installed Windows 8 on my PC and found that there is no solitaire game on the operating system. I realize I can add an app so I can play solitaire but I don't like the version that comes up.

I have gone to Google and looked up how to install Windows 7 solitaire on Windows 8. I have a set of directions to move the games folder from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I have done this. It requires moving cardgames.dll to the games folder. I have also done this. Now the directions call for me to go to the developer page and install the tool to automatically edit files.

This is where I lose my way. What or where is the developers page and how do I use it?

The directions continue that I am to install the tool, click on a patch button, and the games should then be functional.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Joemonte

Post subject: Re: developer's page
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

I assume you found the page that provides instruction for using all of the earlier Windows 7 games on Windows 8. The instructions are as you describe. The text on that page includes the words:
"Now, visit developer’s page and download [removed]patch to automatically edit files so that you can play your favorite Windows 7 game in Windows 8 as well. Please note that your antivirus software may detect this tool as malicious software and advise you against running the same. You can safely ignore the alert as it’s a false positive."

"developer's page" is a link to a file sharing site. That site shows that the file in question, from April of 2012, has been deleted and provides another link to the "patch."

You'll note that I have not provided the links and have removed the name of the patch.

You'll also note the last sentence in the quote above. Now, why would antivirus software detect it as malicious? Do you really feel comfortable using some unknown hack to edit .dll files that will be running on your system? I sure wouldn't.

Now, another link: http://www.howtogeek.com/122145/what-happened-to-solitaire-and-minesweeper-in-windows-8/, explains the new versions of Solitaire and Minesweeper available from the Store for free. It includes instructions if you absolutely must have the old games on your PC and provides a link to a resource hack tool with the same warning -- however, it also explains what you could manually edit using a hex editor program (you'll need to find one yourself) so that you can do this without entrusting the process to a tool that will be detected as malicious. I will note that the tool and further information on what it does is detailed at a forum that has been around for quite some time, so I am a little more comfortable with it, though I personally would not use it. (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/33214-How-to-use-Microsoft-Games-from-Windows-7-in-Windows-8)
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:57 pm 
Fearless Leader

I did it. Used the tool. Works great. ;)

I don't normally do this sort of thing, nor recommend it. Still not recommending it, just commenting on it. But I have to say that the new games are horrible, actually do not work properly, so I went ahead and restored the Win 7 games.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:29 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
To go with Patty's line on just commenting, not recommending, I can state for fact a situation where a program to 'activate' or enable a game can innocently trigger a response from security software. Many years ago I helped out with an issue on a website that was designed to sell "small games", the $5-$9 type you can get all over the net. As a thank you they gave me a patch program that would enable any of their games. The program triggered my AV so I sent it in to... Eset I think, and they reported it safe. That does not mean that all such cases are safe! The best rule of thumb is to assume the worst unless you have reasonable cause to think otherwise. In this specific case it triggered due to being a program that modified other programs. The AV software was right to trigger even though there was not a threat.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:10 am 
Site Admin

MacDuffie wrote:
I did it. Used the tool. Works great. ;)

I don't normally do this sort of thing, nor recommend it. Still not recommending it, just commenting on it. But I have to say that the new games are horrible, actually do not work properly, so I went ahead and restored the Win 7 games.

I'm interested in more details on the "horrible, actually do not work properly" part of the comment, but it is reassuring to read that the process and tool worked well for you.

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:56 am 
welcoming committee

Hi guys,
Thank you for your rapid responses. I learn so much from you guys.

Boots, Thank you for your information. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this situation. I do hate these win 8 games so I may take a chance on it.

Thank you Patty for your input and also to you Jay for yours.

Thanks again

Joe

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:48 pm 
Fearless Leader

Steve, 2 of the 5 solitaire games I was basically unable to use as I was stuck in a game where there were no further moves possible and the game did not recognize it. I could step back all the way through to the beginning of the game and start over - but the game was still not winnable and I could find no way to get a new game. Fact is, even if I missed something, I should be able to start a new game whenever I choose. The other thing is that they were basically ugly. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:23 pm 

The free pinball app, on the other hand, is pretty decent. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

MacDuffie wrote:
The other thing is that they were basically ugly. ;)

That's good enough for me. :-)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

joemonte wrote:
Boots, Thank you for your information. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this situation. I do hate these win 8 games so I may take a chance on it.

Here's my advice -- take it with some salt, of course, and be prepared to have to reinstall the OS in the worst case. :-)

At the forum link, you'll see that they even created and made available a packaged installer with the games from Windows 7 and the patch to make it all work. Download it and go. :-P

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:18 am 

Actually I have the perfect method of being able to use the Windows 7 games... I dual boot. ;)

Of course I say the above in jest even though I do dual boot. Along that thought there would always be the thought of running Windows 7 in a virtual machine. Way too much overkill for a few games though. On the other hand when you consider Windows 7's better performance doing media, mayhaps not that far in the direction of overkill.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing