Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:06 am 
welcoming committee

I am trying to use File History on my new Asus Win 10 Home computer. The Asus computer contains all the data files that I moved from my Velocity computer (e.g., documents, pictures, favorites, etc.). So I would expect File History to first populate with all these data files, from which it could then track the history of each file.

However, File History failed to populate with my most important Libraries folder....the Documents folder. It populated with the other Libraries folders, e.g., Pictures, Videos and Music. But no Documents.

So I have no initial Word, Excel, Quicken, Turbo Tax, etc. files from which to build a history.

Do I have a misunderstanding of how File History works? Shouldn't it show all the data files in Libraries?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:47 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Do you have your documents in the default location within your user folder? If not, adding the current location to your documents library MAY do the trick.

I don't use File History myself as I sync my data to three other systems on a regular basis. Mayhaps Steve can give better insight...

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:10 pm 
welcoming committee

That's where things get sorta fuzzy. Windows puts my documents under OneDrive on my C: drive, yet when I open OneDrive in File History, my documents are not there. OneDrive has been confusing to me from Day 1, as it is something I really don't want. It has caused me great consternation!

Hopefully Steve can help me here.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:12 pm 

I thought that you were removing OneDrive...

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:40 pm 
welcoming committee

Believe me, I tried. And I think I was successful in regard to the cloud aspect of OneDrive.

But unfortunately, a local version remains embedded on my Asus computer. And like I said, my Documents files (Word, Excel, Quicken, etc.) remain in this local OneDrive folder. So of course, now I'm reluctant to try again to remove it. Yet File History won't populate with these Documents files

Help Steve........

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:22 pm 

OneDrive is probably hindering File History replacing the documents library. I would copy everything from the OneDrive folder directly to the documents folder and then use Programs and features to uninstall OneDrive. To be even safer you could also copy everything in the OneDrive folder to an external drive.

Let's wait and see if Steve or David have any input.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:55 pm 
welcoming committee

I like your thoughts, but I will wait on Steve or David before I actually do anything.

Thanks for your help.......

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:07 pm 
welcoming committee

A copy and paste never hurt anyone before.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:
I like your thoughts, but I will wait on Steve or David before I actually do anything.

Thanks for your help.......

I agree with Jay.
Copy the files over to the Documents folder.
Also check to make sure that the Documents folder is your default location for Documents rather than the OneDrive location. You can change that per the instructions here:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-save-location-windows-10

Once you have copied those files and confirmed the default folder location, uninstall OneDrive and then delete the OneDrive folders. Ideally, you should also have a backup copy of the data on another drive or device before deleting it...

-steve

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:38 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, I'm still a little confused, so I think I will save my data on an external drive and start over with File History. Two new data points since we last talked.
(1) I could never find the Libraries folder on my computer. Sure enough it, it was hidden. So I enabled it, and there were four key folders....Documents, Pictures, Videos and Music. And I verified that all my data files were in their respective folders (e.g., Documents contained Word, Excel, Quicken, TurboTax, etc. files). So I'm hoping that when I start over with File History, it will (as advertised) backup Libraries and the four subfolders contained therein.
(2) I had previously used Programs and Features to uninstall One Drive, yet there it was buried down in my File History drive, but all it contained was Pictures (no Documents).

@ David - I use copy and paste a lot, but at this point I'm not sure what it is you want me to copy (I assume it's my Documents folder) and where you want me to paste it. Although I appreciate your help, my old brain has trouble deciphering cryptic messages like that.

Thanks for everyone's help. Please holler at me if you think I'm getting ready to go about this the wrong way.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:09 pm 
welcoming committee

Copy stuff to where you want it, if they are documents go to there, pictures to Pictures. There is no real rule, just have things where you want them.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?