Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:28 pm 
welcoming committee

I just upgraded to Windows 10 on my desktop. I have sensitive documents on One Drive. My smartphone is password protected. I can't figure out how to protect it on my home network. Thanks in advance.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:30 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The following assumes that you do not mean to add a password to Windows 10 but rather to protect specifically One Drive.

While I do have three possible solutions to this I want to wait to see if others have a simpler answer as all ways that I know are fairly involved.

1) You do this through permissions. This does not actually make the folder password protected but you can set to where only one user has access.

2) You can perform a pretty involved method that will truly password protect the folder but this involves creating what is called a 'batch file' that would be executed via the command prompt in Windows.

3) You could encrypt the folder with a password associated with the encryption.

I just don't want to get in to this unless no one else can supply an easier solution. Any of my solutions would mean that this thread would need to be moved to the advanced forums. Since I am a bit new to using Windows 10 as an every day OS I'm hoping that someone has a simple solution.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:18 am 
welcoming committee

Jay:
I like where I am the only one to access One Drive on my home network. Permissions would be perfect for me.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:07 am 
welcoming committee

You might also want to read the One Drive TOS. If your documents are very sensitive
and you don't want the world to see them, then either don't use One Drive or encrypt them
locally before One Drive can upload.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:08 am 
welcoming committee

How do I do that?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:40 am 
Site Admin

By default, unless you have Shared your local OneDrive folder to your HomeGroup, it is not shared and accessible only by your logged in user ID. If you have granted other user IDs full Admin rights, they can also gain access.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:48 am 
welcoming committee

How do I unshare the home group?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:54 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
By default, unless you have Shared your local OneDrive folder to your HomeGroup, it is not shared and accessible only by your logged in user ID. If you have granted other user IDs full Admin rights, they can also gain access.

-steve

Hi steve

That is true, but when you dig into the Terms of Service MS reserves the right to do what they will with your data. Unacceptable for critical data.

Not only true with MS. I use Mediafire for non critical stuff and there TOS is the same. For critical stuff I use Jungle Disk(Rackspace) and there TOS provides very specific protections.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

I was addressing the original concern about local access. :-) Any data in the cloud is potentially available to the company that owns the space. Critical sensitive data should certainly be encrypted locally before uploading or not stored in the cloud. ;-)
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:56 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Vic, As to permissions you would go to the properties of the folder then security. Under edit permissions you would select the deny checkbox for all aspectes for all users except for yourself... Probably best to leave the user named System alone also. You probably only need to deal with the user cammed 'Authenticated User' and any other user accounts specific to another person using the system.

Please keep in mind that while I know how to do this I have never done so. Use caution and back up the folder before changing permissions just in case you lock yourself out although going to a restore point (which you would make before starting) would probably get you out of any lock out situation.

Personally I'd create a new test user and try the permission changes to that account first.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?