Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post subject: Spelling in Word
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:02 pm 
welcoming committee

I am using Word 2003. I do typing over the Internet for a company in the UK.

I have a couple of problems. I tried to replace PAUL with Paul, using replace. But every flipping time -- even though I typed the name in lower case in the box - it capitalized the whole word. Any ideas?

I am also having problems with the spelling. My computer thinks the correct way to spell is with a "z" - privatize and realize. I have been trying to find all those words as I come across them and putting them in autocorrect.

i.e. -- realize -- should be -- realise etc. etc.

I am wondering if there would be a way of telling Word that this is an English rather than North American computer?

Incidentally, I bought the darn version of Word way back when - from the UK because I thought it would solve the problem, but it didn't.

I am not going to spend the money to buy a newer version when the 2003 one works just fine except for the above.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Spelling in Word
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:11 pm 

Have you been into the Preferences or Options of Word and changed the language to English UK ? It's a long time since I used the 2003 version but I'm sure you can set it for English UK rather than English US, I think there used to be a small icon down on the taskbar near the Notification area.

What language is your computer set in, what operating system does it use and what version ?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:19 pm 

I'm running the 2010 version of Word and I've just been for a quick look. If you go to the Start Orb and click on All Programs then scroll down to Microsoft Office, click on it to list what is in it then at the bottom click on Office Tools and there is a line to change the language of the programs.

Now I don't know if this is available in the 2003 version as I said I have the 2010 version of Home and Student but I'm sure there should be something there that would help you.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:22 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Yes, you can change the default language in Word 2003/XP but I don't have that version installed on my laptop to be able to give specific instructions. You should be able to find it under tools or options.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:19 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan -- you're brilliant!! That's exactly what worked. I chose English UK and now its just fine. Thanks so much. I would NEVER have thought of that in a million years!!

Also between us my friend and I solved the other problem with the find and replace. It makes no sense but still. If I replace XX with Paul - it gives me PAUL. But if I change XX to xx - it gives me Paul. We figure it should replace whatever with whatever you put in the second box. But no matter. I can fix it now.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:13 am 

Thanks for letting us know you managed to sort it out. Of course the difference here is, that with me being in the UK everything was set up to be in English UK from the start, whereas you, sorry I can't remember if you're in the US or Canada, would have your machine set up for the region you live in.

Glad you're now happy and don't need to spend any money to be able to do what you have to do. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:26 am 
welcoming committee

Yes. Canada. Either way we spell them with a z here, but I enjoy doing typing for UK companies. The last one was insurance agents but they decided to cut costs and got all the adjusters voice recognition software - so they didn't need to outsource work any more. I found that interesting because one of the adjusters was based in Redhill and I grew up in Purley so all the places mentioned tended to be my old stomping grounds! Mind you, a friend of mine asked if she would be able to do the work, but I said you would need to be able to spell places in England and at least know enough to look them up. Like when they say "Rootum" - its actually Wrotham. It wouldn't have worked for her!

And of course, there are the Welsh names. I am not too bad at some of them - but others are totally impossible!!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:30 am 

Oh yes there are some very strange sounding names around, even more so where I now live, in Wales, wonder how she'd manage the Welsh names and spelling. :D

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?