Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Coincidentally, since July 31 when the Yahoo/AT&T server went down, I have had daily trouble with my OL mail. Running Win 7/OL 2010.

I am generally able to send and receive emails, but often I get repeated errors, the login box pops up and my incoming mail is stuck for as little as 20 minutes to as long as a couple of hours.

I was on with AT&T four separate times this month. They can't resolve the issue - and they don't support MS. Because the errors are numerous - on both Send and Receive, I can't figure out the cause. All settings are proper - all ports are correct, and most of the tests succeed - except one about encrypted/unencrypted something or other (which the AT&T tech ignored - possibly because he had no clue...). I have tried the MS self-repair tool but I have not tried a system restore to go back to July 30.

I have a partial list of different errors . The most troublesome message is I am constantly being asked to enter my login and password. I can backdoor by using IE and that generally frees up the mail. At the moment, AT&T is having THEIR own server issues - what I wanted to do was recreate my login and password, which may have gotten corrupted. The tech yesterday said it could be a defective Router. I don't know how to solve this and I cannot continue to work with daily error messages and interruptions.

I am happy to provide the error messages - apparently the same error code has many possible reasons, such as my AV program. The info leads me on paths that seem farfetched, so I haven't been able to solve this myself.

Appreciate your help.
Thank you.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:33 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Just to prove the router so AT&T can't use that as an out I would connect direct to the modem to see if the errors continue.

I would think that your thought about re-creating the account is a good idea.

You don't state who the email account is with. If it is one that AT&T supplies and they are having their own server issues I would tend to hold a strong possibility that the problem is on their end.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:19 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay,

I can't remember how to direct connect anything, plus I have to get on my knees to do it...
Account with ATT/Yahoo. Try convincing them when they can opt out by stressing how they don't support MS.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:55 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
To direct connect to your modem you would use the Ethernet cable that goes from the modem to the router. Just run the same cable to the computer instead of the router. You should not have to change any settings. As far as your having to get on your knees to do it... up to you if you do or don't but I would just to prove that it isn't the router. This would be just to prove. If you are not having any issues with web sites I cannot really see it being the router.

OK, they don't support MS. Do they support issues with any other email client such as Thunderbird?

To be honest I haven't used an email supplied by an ISP for many years and I surely don't use Yahoo Mail. If it were me I wouldn't even bother with it. I'd switch to either Gmail or Hotmail, shoot, what is it their are calling Hotmail now?? Live Mail, Live Hotmail or whatever...

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:03 pm 

nancy wrote:
Jay,

I can't remember how to direct connect anything, plus I have to get on my knees to do it...
Account with ATT/Yahoo. Try convincing them when they can opt out by stressing how they don't support MS.

MS ?? Do you mean Microsoft, if so what has that to do with your account with AT/T. I believe that if you have to keep putting in your login details everytime you try to bring in Mail it is a problem with your ISP and their servers, it happens to me occasionally but it's a known problem where BT (British Telecom) are concerned.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:17 pm 
welcoming committee

In the short, but very long interlude, I was on the phone with this young Turk from AT&T. It was not a server issue, it was a system error issue which was translated as me entering the wrong password. I have Yahoo mail separated from Outlook mail, separated from my online AT&T account to pay bills & issue trouble tickets.
Three passwords, three logins and merging them is the last thing that I wanted to to, so you can't get any online info on how to change your password without getting totally mislead and misinformed.

As far as support, I don't know what or who they support, and since I use Office for business, I am essentially stuck w/Outlook until the next new thing comes along.

She was good - we reset my password and I am certain that it solved the problem. I think when their server went down, the corruption occurred.

I have Windows Live (or whatever it's called), only because that was the only way to download my Outlook/Office 2010 (free) upgrades. I signed up for Zoho or something, when I needed to set up a 2nd eBay account a few weeks ago. I also have a second business e-mail address that bounces to me immediately. I don't know who or what that is - it came with the territory. Naturally, I don't know what you are mostly talking about w/your email complaints, but I like Google for searches, Yahoo for mail (even though typing really sucks) and tend not to give one company too much biz - I don't like the privacy games that Google plays and their attempt at global dominance. I am searching for these little pockets of brilliance in the tech world and since most people can't do everything great, it's very easy to pick and choose. We all have our favorites and our very different degrees of technical expertise and ability...

This is solved.
Thank you, Jay!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:23 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan,

Yes - Microsoft.
AT&T always helps you with the caveat that they don't support MS. It is always an AT&Tissue. It is always their fault when the phone is down even though they warn you it could be an expensive call if it is not their fault. In the past three decades, I cannot think of one time that I had to pay AT&T for some outage that was not caused by them.

I think the password reset fixed the issue.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:27 pm 

I take it then that if they don't support Microsoft they expect you to be using a MAC. :lol:

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?