Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:56 am 
welcoming committee

Another little problem. My son often sends me a few photos of his six year old. He is taking these photos with his iPhone and then directly e-mailing them to me. I can download the photo to my computer (it is a .jpg format). I can do a little edit on the original picture such as rotating and/or resizing it. However, other than what I just mentioned, I can't seem to do anything else with the image. I cannot print it on my HP AIO, I cannot save it into my regular picture file, and cannot seem to do any significat editing. I think this my have something to do with the fact that the original photo was taken with an Apple phone but I don't know if that is the problem. I also cannot save the picture in the normal fashion. The only way is to save the e-mail message with the picture attachment.

Anyone encountered this type of behavior or have any further suggestions?

Bob

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

How is the image attached to the message? Is it an attachment or is it embedded.
What email program?
What are you using the edit the photo?
How are you trying to save it? Are you trying to save it before editing or after?
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:36 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Steve. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but my son has been away on a busines trip and I wanted to talk with him regarding your questions before responding. I don't know the email process for sending pictures directly from an iphone to another person's computer. The email program I use is Windows Live Mail. As far as editing on my end, I have done very little with it other than to increase the size of the picture. I will get back to you with further information after I have a chance to to talk with my son about the problem.

Bob

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:55 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Just as a thought about something that might help I have had problems pulling an image out of a few emails. The solution I have used is to go to the web based version of the email to get the images. On web based email the images in a mail are just images on a web site just like any other image on any other web site. You can just right click and select save picture as.

As a note you may have to forward the mail to yourself to get it back on the web based email. Forward and then shut down Live Mail before it has a chance to download it.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, Bob. Is your mail Hotmail or POP via your ISP?
When you view the email in Windows Live Mail, is there an attachment showing for the image? Or is it simply in the message body?
-steve

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Steve
Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. My mail is Windows Live Mail. It is going through my ISP (TDS.Net). Had my son over a week or so ago and it appears there is some incompatibility between my computer and his Windows Phone when it comes to forwarding pictures. We are still working on it. Appears to work some times but not others.

Bob

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

I trust you mean iPhone, Bob, as that's what you had mentioned he had earlier. I imagine that the iPhone may be embedding the image into the email at time and it isn't actually attaching it. If he were to compose an email message and attach the picture it will probably work. On the other hand, some email systems (ISPs) do have a bad habit of making a mess of the MIME structure of an email with an attachment and that may be what is causing the issue for you.
Ask him to compose an email on the phone and attach the picture rather than viewing the picture and then selecting to send it via email and see if that helps.
Alternatively, open a free Hotmail and/or Google email account and see if using these as the destination make a difference.
-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?