Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:00 pm 
welcoming committee

My passwords were different for six years, but when I signed up for U-Verse, my passwords became merged.

I last changed my UV password the end of December, but the AT&T server went down Saturday and things got screwed up again. I just spent another 1.5 hours on the phone, first witht U-Verse and then Yahoo (Small Business Support). The Yahoo tech said it is VERY DIFFICULT to separate the accounts, but he did not say it was impossible.

I reset my pw at Yahoo, but it goes through U-Verse and changes both accounts. I can go back to UV and try it from there again, but I'm dubious. (My saved passwords at Firefox can attest that I had two different accounts.)

Can this be done?
Thank you.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:33 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I could very well be wrong but I don't see how anyone but a combination of Yahoo, AT&T and U-Verse support can answer that.

That said, the Yahoo rep said that it is very difficult. To me that says that Yahoo support says that it can be done. If you enjoy torture and want to continue with Yahoo push them on it.

As a personal opinion I would not use Yahoo for ANY important email. I DO have a yahoo account but don't use it. Right now it has around a quarter of a million spams in it.... OK, probably more like 50-60,000. Actually tried cleaning it out once but found that I could only delete 50 at a time. Wasn't going to happen.

I would disassociate your email address from your ISP totally. I would go with either G-Mail or Hot Mail. More and more ISPs are associating with Yahoo mail. This is NOT a good thing. It is likely to cause you grief any time that you might change your ISP. Using G-Mail or Hot Mail circumvents such issues as they don't care who your ISP happens to be. Your email address is 100% separate from your ISP.

I know that it is a pain changing your email but you want an answer and, in my opinion, that IS the answer.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:10 pm 
welcoming committee

It was exactly his language that led me to the same conclusion. I am not in the least bit interested in wasting a second more of my time in trying to get an answer; it is a useless quest.

Unfortunately, changing Outlook today is too tedious, but I am open to making changes in the future. I don't understand what your technical complaint is (I will research it), but I value your input.

Thank you.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?