Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post subject: A kinda dumb question
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:05 pm 
welcoming committee

I took my PC into my local fixit centre and they removed any viruses etc. The computer is still doing strange things and someone here suggested to use a different mouse. At the moment I am using a wireless Logitech.

I bought a regular wired USB mouse, but now I'm not sure how I should connect it. The computer is running Windows 7 pro.

I have two of those little USB plug things - one controls the mouse and one the wireless keyboard. I am not sure which controls which, because they are both Logitech.

I wonder if someone could tell me what I have to do to get my usb mouse to work. I don't know if I have to unplug the usb "thing" for the wireless mouse first. If I have to do something in the control panel. Or if I just plug the wired mouse in and it will work. I thought I would wait until I found out how to do it properly.

Thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:51 am 
welcoming committee

Since you are troubleshooting remove all the components of the wireless mouse and turn it off. If that gets the wrong plug than remove the other one. Plug in the new mouse into any USB port and see what happens.

Now that you know which plug belongs to the keyboard you can put that back.

I would doubt that the mouse is the issue since I would have expected the shop to have tested that out but give it shot. Did they say your computer is malware free now?

Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes. From what I understand they have some fancy equipment that they put the hard drive into and it removes stuff that I can't remove at home running Malwarbytes. And they weren't using my mouse either.

It might be the keyboard I suppose, but yesterday I was just using the wireless mouse - clicking around on photos etc. and I got duplications. Also, I have to admit I have a sentimental reason for not wanting it to be the keyboard - my sons gave me this solar wireless keyboard for Christmas!!

So I am trying the wireless mouse first and hoping that's the problem!

Thank you. I followed your instructions. It said "Installing software drivers" and then my wired mouse started working. Fingers crossed things improve now!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:15 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
A note on the duplicate photos. It this is the main current issue the following could be important.

Say that you click on a file and hold while the mouse moves a little. That can drag the file to a partially empty space in the File Explorer or Computer window. Now the button is released and Windows makes a copy just like it is supposed to do. The copy starts with the word 'copy' as the actual name is already in use. It really does not take a lot of mouse movement for this to happen. I have this happen at times when selecting a lot of files to move or copy by holding CTRL and selecting with the mouse. If I'm a little too slow releasing the mouse button before moving to the next file I want it starts copying.

I also use Logitech mice but don't install the Logitech software. Even without the Logitech software installed you can still go to the mouse properties in your Control Panel and slow down the mouse under the Pointer Options tab. It has been a LONG time since I've installed the Logitech software but, if I remember correctly, there are finer controls for the mouse. One such control if I remember right is Mouse Sensitivity. Sensitivity is a little different than mouse speed. Mouse speed would mean that the pointer moves a shorter distance if the mouse is moved. Mouse Sensitivity means that the pointer does not move at all unless the mouse moves a certain distance. If you have the Logitech software installed, and the setting for sensitivity is there, you might try lowering the sensitivity. If you do not have the software installed, and this IS the main issue right now, you might want to try an install as there are also other features offered through the software depending on the mouse.

Here is a link for the Logitech downloads.
https://support.logitech.com/en_us/downloads

P.S. ;) From what you have said in this thread your Christmas present is propably fine. :)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:59 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the information. I think I installed the Logitech software but I'm not sure. I actually probably just put the little usb thing into a port and turned the mouse on and if it installed software by itself, then I would have let it. Should I go to your link and install it now? Will it matter if I installed it before or is there a way to tell?

I suppose this doesn't really belong here, but when I took the computer in, I told them I use the iPad quite a bit so don't spend too much time and money - just get rid of the viruses. When I went to get it back, the guy I know told me that the tech that worked on it said it needed more RAM because it's very slow. So I said that it has 4 gig. So Neil checked it and was surprised because does have 4. It's still slow!

Also, I always use Irfanview to adjust photos. Irfanview had disappeared from the computer so I went to the Irfanview site - I know it was the Irfanview site. I downloaded Irvanview and I got some "crap" with it. One was called "amend" search - something or other like that. I can't find it now.

I tried running Malwarebytes. But when I clicked on it, nothing happened, but some time later I got a message that Malwarebytes had found things but when I said "quarantine" it said not responding. I tried running it again, same result. So then I ran Spybot and got rid of some things. I ran SuperAntispyware, and that got rid of things. I tried running Malwarebytes and again got "not responding". I uninstalled Malwarebytes and reinstalled it. That time Malwarebytes opened normally and I ran a scan. At the end I clicked "quarantine" and it said "not responding" so I just went to bed and left it like that. This morning it said Malwarebytes had eliminated things and I should restart the computer. Perhaps that has fixed the problem.

So after all that long story, I still don't have Irfanview. I thought perhaps Jay had recommended it to me years ago. I am absolutely positive I went to the Irfanview website. I got things I did not want, but I still don't have Irfanview.

So - if I can't have Irfanview, is there some other photo download that I CAN have without messing up my computer again?

As I have 4 gig of RAM, why is the computer so slow?

(sorry this is so long - but I thought I should give you the whole story)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:45 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Installing the Logitech software would not hurt even if already installed as it would bring you up to the current version. Orrr... you could just be more careful with your mouse movements and/or change the mouse speed in your Control Panel. Please keep in mind that even if you install the Logitech software I cannot promise that you will find the 'sensitivity' setting as it has probably been ten years since I've installed mouse software.

This is the only place that you should download Irfranview. Select to save the file and then run locally. By locally I mean to double click the install file. Make VERY sure to select custom or advanced install if offered so that you can deny any bundled crap-ware.
http://www.irfanview.com/

Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:36 am 
welcoming committee

Ok. Thanks. I willl pay more attention when I do that download.

Incidentally, Malwarebytes got rid of the malware. It ran overnight and still froze, but it said it only found 1 piece of malware. I had to cancel Malwarebytes because I couldn't click on anything. I kept getting that "ding" every time I tried to close it so I just right clicked and exited.

It obviously does work and it finds malware. Why it then freezes, I don't know.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?