Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post subject: Re: Expand My C:\ Drive
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:27 am 
welcoming committee

I have one that is 900MB in size and I believe that was done when Win 8 was setup or maybe part of the built in Windows backup app. I can't recall exactly Joan.

You can merge C and D if you like [do the same for that 350MB one] but remember that any pointer which now goes to D will fail when you do that. It shouldn't be a big deal though since you can redirect. Move that data to someplace safe before manipulating the partition.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:06 pm 

Thanks Manny, it will probably be tomorrow now when I sort it out, I did a Macrium disk image today. I have images with that, Acronis and the built in program all on external disks. ;-)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:41 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hmmm, I don't seem to have the 'small' partitions that you both do. Mayhaps it is due to my doing an upgrade install from Win 7...
Attachment:
disk-mamagement.jpg
disk-mamagement.jpg [ 160.74 KiB | Viewed 5220 times ]

BTW, the missing drive letter from the Win 10 partition is intentional to isolate the OS from Win 8.1.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:17 pm 

Perhaps it's because you started with a clean drive Jay, didn't you say you bought it without an OS ?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:41 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Yes, I installed clean with a format to Win 7. Since then I have upgraded Win 7 to 8 then 8.1 along with installing Win 10. If it was done as part of an install, as Manny says is possible but not sure, I would think that I would have ended up with something somewhere.

Possibly Manny's other thought about it being something to do with Windows backups. I can't really comment on that I don't schedule any backups. I do them manually doing a fresh image each time.

Ahhh! I bet I know! :) A system that comes with a factory OS will be loaded from an image including the OS and added software along with the added partition. If you take a clean drive and partition and format via the Windows installer it is also likely to include a system partition. My case is neither of these.

I initially partitioned for just my install of Win 7, not even partitioning the data drive. I then selected to install on the already existing partition which it did. I then went to drive management and set up my data partition. It dawned on me that I have been using this method since Windows Vista as it was an established way to avoid the added partition.

Oddly, at least in Win 7, the added partition should be only 100MB and listed as a System drive. You DO have such a partition listed as System but it is too large... the size may have changed since Vista and 7. It would be the first, listed and shown as 300MB. As Manny said I would not touch this partition as it includes your boot info. You don't actually need it but better safe than sorry and precautions would need to be taken before removing. To be honest I would not probably bother with anything to the left of the C: unless you just want to simplify and clean up the drive structure. After all what is on the left of the C: is less than 0.003% of the drive if I'm figuring right in my head... 300GB drive, right?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:22 am 
welcoming committee

That sounds right Jay about the factory OS image install. Now that you say that, it seems to access some little grey cell somewhere.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:50 am 

Glad to hear the light bulb came on Jay. ;-)

I've not touched the partitions to the left just got the 350MB and D: partitions merged into C: so I now have about 180 GB free space on there. I used the Mini-Tools Partition Wizard program I have to do it, didn't take long.
I've got image backups from before and after doing it but everything seems to be going fine.

At least C: now has room to breathe.

I don't know how easy it would be to put a bigger drive in this Notebook, the only thing I altered was to put another 4GB stick of memory in it so it has 8GB now.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:34 am 
welcoming committee

Today the Giveaway of the Day happens to be a partition manager that gets nice reviews on the site. I haven't tried it. Here it is: http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/aomei-p ... the+Day%29

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?