Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:55 pm 
welcoming committee

I had new tabs in Office 2010 (Developer & a PDF creator) and the PDF program was causing the errors that I posted here and removed. Turns out that I am still getting errors in Outlook in Calendar and email (here are two: Error loading custion UI XML & Line 1, Column 91, Error 0x80004005/Failed to find Office control by ID/ID : mso:TabJournals), so I'm running a virus scan, just in case. After the scan, I'll Repair Office.

But this happened yesterday.
I rebooted. My computer was installing updates. That was strange, because I didn't have a message telling me to shut down and install updates, which I would do at the end of the day. I'm constantly in Start, searching for one doc or another.

After restart, I opened Outlook. When I clicked on an email, I had a bar on the bottom of each, providing me with additional info - like social media contact names and sites - Twitter, FB, something - I don't remember. I thought how strange. It takes up 3/4" at the bottom of the screen, it's useless information that I don't want, it's a distraction, and why can't I remove it?

I opened up recent updates to see what to remove. According to my list, no updates were installed after June 10. That seemed impossible.
I hit Restart again. With that, it was gone.

What just happened? Anybody?
Thank you.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

If a repair does not work, a reinstall may be in order. See the reply to the same problem in this thread:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... roprevious

As for the Social piece in Outlook, you can disable it. I no longer use Office 2010, but I believe the option can be found under view.
But you can also remove it completely.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/offi ... e7d160ad4e

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:56 pm 
welcoming committee

Steven,

How in the world did you find that? (Rhetorical.) The symptoms are unusually identical or close, but I didn't say anything about installing Office 2013, 365, or anything else. I did not - so if the Kaspersky scan remains clear (at 99% it's not a virus) and Repair doesn't work, I'll come back to you for another solution.

Nobody installs stuff on here except me and nobody installs stuff without notifying me - at least, I don't think so. In the five years I've had Office 2010, I never saw Social - and as I said, it appeared and disappeared in an instant - leaving NO trace behind. So how did it suddenly appear?

That's too weird. I periodically look at the programs I open - to make sure I am using the version I think I am using. I didn't realize that I have Office 2013 (9.34KB -four files/1 folder) on my computer, but I am only reminded to install OneNote, which I barely use. Is it something I should install?

Thank you.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Steven,

My system is super clean, deep clean.
Last week I cleaned out and compressed files, start-up programs, a million things because my computer is running very slowly (it says so). I even ran Outlook repair recently.
I will learn tomorrow if it's running better. Keep you posted.

I have opened Programs (on occasion) to see what I can toss, but I just noticed a duplicate and programs so close that I want to know if I have to keep both versions.
1 MS Visual C++ 2010 x64 redistributable - 10.0.40219
1 MS Visual C++ 2010 x86 redistributable - 10.0.40219
2- MS Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components (x86) ENU - identical to the digit.

What is Visual Studio 2010 for Office Runtime (x64)? I got some runtime errors the past two days.

In my travels, I learned that OneNote 2013 was installed yesterday. The great mystery has unraveled. This install set off the Social program, which I uninstalled along w/another unwanted program.

MacDuffie - with my fingers - cleaned my computer to bare bones a few years ago. There is so much crap today.

Having recently reinstalled Firefox, because I needed to troubleshoot, can I delete traces anywhere they might be - of files earlier than 6/2/15? What about MS - is there a rule of thumb?

Thank you.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:41 am 
Site Admin

Do not remove any of the items you've listed in the posts above, except OneNote 2013 if you don't even intend to use it. Since OneNote has become free, apparently you received an update for your installed OneNote 2010 that was an upgrade. This triggered the Social Connector appearance.
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen (oops),

I won't delete the above MS programs.
Thank you for your help.

NL

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:18 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

Since Repair Outlook didn't work and I have no new programs to uninstall (Office 2013 is only an empty Upload Center, so I will delete it), what do you think I should try next? Whatever it is affects mail and calendar, but it doesn't prevent me from using either.

After three scans - no infections detected.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:27 am 
Site Admin

What is the current state of Outlook mail and calendar? Do the errors appear only on opening Outlook or when changing between calendar and mail? The error suggests that an add-in is broken/partially installed.
Did you check Outlook add-ins?
http://www.addictivetips.com/microsoft- ... 10-add-in/
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:17 pm 
welcoming committee

No issues yesterday or today. Not inside Office much either day, though.

No, not when I initially open.
It happens when I click on the results of a search in Calendar or the result of a email search. Either I am in mail or in calendar, so it happens between the two, in that sense. (I often switch, in other words.)

I looked at the add-ins but didn't know what to do while I was in there. With the box open, only three add-ins are checked. Will look later.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:05 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Mayhaps not but it might help Steve if you listed the checked add-ons. Possibly even the unchecked as a failed install could result in an add-on not showing as checked, I think... Since I don't use Outlook I can't really say for fact.

Let Steve respond on this part before doing but it might enlighten things if you disabled the three enabled add-ons. If everything is fine then re-enable the three one at a time and run for a while. If the issue comes back after re-enabling one you know the culprit

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:56 pm 
welcoming committee

Interesting POV, Jay,

COM Add-ins:
Business Connectivity Service is active.
OneNote Notes about Outlook Items is active.
Windows Search Email Indexer is disabled.

Microsoft VBA for Outlook Addin is checked but not on the list of active - as it is "on demand."
BizConn says load at Startup
OneNote says load at startup
VBA - load on demand.
If you want the list of unchecked, I will copy them. If there is something here, great.

Firstly, because my computer is - was running very, very slowly, I did the "Six Things to Make Your Computer..." I stripped my start-up programs, using somebody's wise criteria. The add-ins above were definitely removed from SU. I can't imagine the damage that would do.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with Jay -- disable them all to see if the error goes away. Then enable only one, see if the error returns. Disabled and enable until you've checked the status with only one add-in enabled at a time.

If the problem started right after you followed advice to disable startup programs.... "somebody's wise criteria" may not have been too wise.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Only two enabled - can't take that long. Will try tomorrow.

No, the problems didn't start right after disabling in start-up. But, I left that door wide open for you, just in case.

Thank you, Jay and Stephen.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?