Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post subject: Rules & Alerts.
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:08 pm 
welcoming committee

Office/Outlook. I do not fully understand Rules & Alerts.

Message: "The rule has a condition that the server cannot process. The action, Stop processing more rules, will prevent all remaining server rules from being carried out. Are you sure this is what you want to do?

When I check Stop Processing, I get the message.
When I uncheck Stop Processing, I get the message.

Which rule it it that the server cannot process? I am not sure why it the recommended setting.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Rules & Alerts.
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Rules are processed in order.
So, if you have a list of rules with specific conditions (multiple rules) defined, and a rule contains the instruction to stop processing after the rule has been reviewed, no further rules will be processed. Depending on what else the early rule is doing, stop processing may not be the desired result.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:36 pm 
welcoming committee

I don't really understand that.

After I created the rule, the message came up and since both options are contradictory, neither are usable for the very rule that I just created. How do I write the rule to avoid the message? (Since I both checked and unchecked the rule, and still got the message, it appears that I never wrote the rule.)
Or do I go back and uncheck stop processing more rules on all 52 (see below) rules that are written?

I have - let's say - 26 rules for vendors A - Z. Then I have 26 more because vendors A - Z send me mail from Marketing and from Sales. If I set a rule for A (A and A1), with stop processing more rules, does it stop processing after rules A and A1 or just rule A? On the other hand, if I uncheck the box, does it run through A, A1 - Z, Z1? I think I always thought rules were smarter than they actually are - although they usually work, with an exception that has to do with automated mailings.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:23 am 
Site Admin

What does your rule do that you wish to stop processing?
If the criteria to match rule A are met, action is taken. If that action is to move the message, for example, and you add the "stop processing" then the move will happen and nothing else. If you have a rule A1 that also matches closely what Rule A is looking for, but you add the "stop" bit, then Rule A1 can never happen.
I can't diagnose your situation without specific details for the rules,

-steve

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:41 pm 
welcoming committee

That is a great question.
All rules are intended to separate promotional mail from conversational mail and take it (the promo mail) out of inbox so that I can read when I feel like it. I assume that I want all rules to be processed, to get all of the "crap" out of my inbox. I am happy to provide specifics.

I just went through five or so rules, unchecked the box, and hit Apply. I think I got that same conflicting message at the end of each rule that I edited, which leads me to believe that I am back to square one.

Should I bother trying (again) to resolve the promo mail that adds variables to its core address (created automatically), which screws up the Rules rules? Or should we just stick to this?

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

The warning is probably appearing because you have many rules still in place with the Stop processing item selected. As you save every rule, you will get that warning until all conflicting conditions are edited out.
You can probably eliminate the warning by disabling/deactivating all rules, then editing them one by one and enabling them as you go.
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:55 pm 
welcoming committee

I read this the other day and had no idea how to respond, so I didn't. (I have many rules and little time.)
I will let this one stew for a while.

Thank you.

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?