Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:02 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
It had to happen, looks like external drives are now wireless if you want. I'm not going to run out and get one but can see they could be useful.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... No=9151481

It is promoted to be able to stream 4 HD videos at the same time. It uses IEEE 802.11n for the wireless system and sets up its own network between devices, no need for internet access. There was only one review on Tiger Direct which said it worked well but had a delay on access.

This seems a bit different than the previous WD 'My Cloud' series as it does not seem to be set up as a NAS server but just a straight forward wireless external. I never really grasped the usefulness of the 'My Cloud' series anyway. I mean it uses an RJ-45 Port (Ethernet wired) so can only be used on one system at a time. Another failure in my opinion is to use on my desktop I'd have to also buy another wired network adaptor as I never put in a wireless card for the router connection. Now it may well be that the 'My Cloud' can be directly connected to a router. While this would improve its usability it still makes it a stationary device. I think that this new wireless unit would be much more attractive in the long run. OK, the wireless unit is not a NAS server but it can still be used by multiple devices at the same time and it appears that the transfer rates are faster so who really cares about the server aspect... Hmmm, If it can be accessed by multiple devices at the same time ........ isn't that pretty much what a server does? :mrgreen:

I will be watching these items and can see the possibility of owning one in the future.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware