Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:42 pm 
welcoming committee

My old Velocity computer started making some loud noise when the heatsink fan kicked in, so I decided to replace it.
(Part # Intel 29477-001 Socket 1366 Heatsink)
I ordered a new one from eBay for $15. It was brand new in the box and it already had the Thermal Interface Material (TIM) on the bottom of the unit.

I had no trouble removing the old fan/heatsink, but the push pins gave me fits when I tried to install the new one. I had to remove it and reseat it several times to get the push pins to work. I finally got it installed and the fan was working; however, after my computer ran for a few minutes, it shut down with an overheat message.

So I must have messed up the TIM when I kept moving it around to get the push pins lined up. And I later read where I basically had one shot at the installation without having to apply more TIM. So I have ordered another fan/heatsink unit to try again.

With that background, my questions are:
(1) Is there a trick to popping the push pins back in?
(2) Is the TIM application truly that sensitive?
(3) Where can I purchase more TIM (I assume it comes with directions)?
(4) What is best way of removing old TIM off the processor?

Thanks in advance..........

EDIT: OK, I've found answers on the internet to all my questions except (1), popping the push pins back in. If anyone has a tip or two on how best to do this, I would appreciate hearing it. I really messed this step up the first time - broke a couple of the plastic pin tips. So I had to reorder another fan/heatsink unit (only $15).

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:54 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If this is a normal heat sink/fan setup there should be 4 screw that mount the fan to the sink. If this is the case you had no need of removing the actual heat sink. You would just remove the fan and replace just the fan, not the entire cooler.

By 'TIM' I assume that you mean the actual thermal compound and, yes, it is sensitive. Even though the base of the heat sink is a ground surface that is VERY smooth there are always imperfections. The thermal compound is designed to fill in those imperfections to give as much thermal transfer as possible. If it is not applied properly there can be minute air pockets that disrupt the heat transfer. This is probably your issue.

To be honest (in my opinion) the application of thermal paste and heat sink is best done before the motherboard is mounted in the case. Once the motherboard is mounted there is just too much 'flex' in the board to make locking it down easy without messing up the layer of paste.

Some notes...

1) In my opinion the best paste is made by Artic Silver.

2) As to removing old thermal compound... Use either a liquid form of contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol of at least 92%. Never use rubbing alcohol as it will leave a film.

3) As to applying thermal compound... You want as thin a layer as possible while still having total coverage. I use the side of a plastic credit card to do this.

4) I don't really like them but you also have the option to use what I call a 'wax pack'. This is a simple patch that you put between the CPU and the heat sink. The thermal compound is embedded in the wax. You turn on the system and the heat melts away the wax leaving just the thermal compound. I'm not really sure as to why I don't like these things as I haven't read anything negative in their usage. In your current situation I would probably suggest this method.

5) You can purchase Artic Silver thermal compound or 'wax packs' from such on-line stores such as http/tigerdirect.com or http://newegg.com . You should also be able to purchase from any decent local computer shop.

As to initial thing that you should have probably done in just replacing the heat sink fan without actually removing the heat sink I do this about twice a year to clean out dust. I just use canned air to blow out the dust in the fins of the heat sink. I remove the fan and blow out all the dust. It is amazing how much builds up. Electronics are a magnet for dust! LOL! If you adopt this practice do it out side as it can make a mess. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:40 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, thanks for the response. There are no screws holding the fan to the heatsink on my Intel unit.....that was my first thought. Once the fan/heatsink has been removed, you can turn the unit over and probably 'pry' the fan frame off of the heatsink. But I see no other way. Attached is a picture of my unit.

And yes, TIM is the paste.......it stands for Thermal Interface Material. I did order a tube of the Artic paste from Newegg last night. Also, the boxed Intel fan/heatsink unit I ordered from eBay ships with the TIM already applied to the bottom of the fan-heatsink in a 3-bar application. With the first unit I ordered, I screwed up two ways: (1) I failed to clean off the old paste from the top of the processor, and (2) I 'wiggled' the unit around too much trying to attach the push pins.......all this really messed up the paste in both places. As is typical with most projects in my life, the 2nd time to try something is always better and usually successful. The first time is my learning process, lol.

There is no way that I am going to try and remove my motherboard for my second try......this just exceeds my technical knowhow and my finger dexterity. But I am going to do a couple of things differently this time, namely: (1) I am going to lay the computer on its side so that I am looking down at the holes in the motherboard, and (2) I am going to attempt to push in diagonally-opposed push pins at the same time. Before I had the computer in a vertical position, plus I was simply trying to insert the push pins one at a time. I read where both of these are a 'no-no'.

My new fan/heatsink and Artic paste should arrive early next week, and I'll have another go at it........will keep you posted.

Attachments:
Intel Processor Fan Heatsink.jpg
Intel Processor Fan Heatsink.jpg [ 38.09 KiB | Viewed 3196 times ]

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware