Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:26 am 
welcoming committee

OS is Windows 7 Pro. Printer is a Kodak. An error message keeps popping up on my screen about every 4 mintues and just when everything seemed to be working so well !! Error message is as follows: "The UL File is Missing (code: 101-8200)". I searched the net for that error and quite a few people also have it but I was unable to find a solution. What is so frustrating is that I tried to uninstall the entire program using "programs and features>uninstall" but that only makes the error message pop up the minute I click on uninstall. Is there a virus removal program that you can recommend that might fix this?

http://www.picpaste.com/error-rdIbN9xJ.jpg

Last edited by Allyson on Tue May 03, 2016 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:45 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sigh... Is this on the same computer that you insisted on installing XP? If so this is exactly why we tried to convince you to not install XP as a stand alone OS. Is this the same system? I ask as even though you have each OS drive isolated with your switch they are still not isolated unless you totally remove ALL power sources from the system between changing the selected OS. Some bad things can remain in your memory even though you shut down the system and change drive selection.

Hoping that a 'memory active' infection has not happened that infected Win 7 through XP I would suggest removing ALL drivers and software that applies to the printer and doing a total re-install. I understand that you stated that you cannot actually uninstall all the software but you MAY be able to remove the drivers via Device Manager. If that is successful re-install the latest full package from the printer manufacturer.

BTW, unless you have a pretty extreme theme for Windows installed the image that you posted for the error just does not look right... I am including the image directly below to help others that may want to help.
Attachment:
kodac error.jpg
kodac error.jpg [ 28.41 KiB | Viewed 37243 times ]

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:54 am 
welcoming committee

See if this helps:

http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers ... ected/true

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:07 am 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:

I looked at this dvair and right away noticed that European Font thing. That was a KB from Microsoft so I will have to check into that. Thanks

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:14 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Sigh... Is this on the same computer that you insisted on installing XP? If so this is exactly why we tried to convince you to not install XP as a stand alone OS. Is this the same system? I ask as even though you have each OS drive isolated with your switch they are still not isolated unless you totally remove ALL power sources from the system between changing the selected OS. Some bad things can remain in your memory even though you shut down the system and change drive selection.

Hoping that a 'memory active' infection has not happened that infected Win 7 through XP I would suggest removing ALL drivers and software that applies to the printer and doing a total re-install. I understand that you stated that you cannot actually uninstall all the software but you MAY be able to remove the drivers via Device Manager. If that is successful re-install the latest full package from the printer manufacturer.

BTW, unless you have a pretty extreme theme for Windows installed the image that you posted for the error just does not look right... I am including the image directly below to help others that may want to help.
Attachment:
kodac error.jpg

That pic is my desktop background theme Jay and the error pops up right in the middle of it. I really don't think this has anything to do with XP. The problem started when I went to use my printer while on Windows 7 and it would not print anything and then the error message started. Both XP and Windows 10 do not have that printer installed.

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:55 am 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:

The second option on the above page gave me a pop up saying that the file I was going to download is corrupt.

http://www.picpaste.com/corrupt-T83ptZW7.jpg

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:22 am 

Allyson wrote:
That pic is my desktop background theme Jay and the error pops up right in the middle of it. I really don't think this has anything to do with XP. The problem started when I went to use my printer while on Windows 7 and it would not print anything and then the error message started. Both XP and Windows 10 do not have that printer installed.

Ya... I'm sure that I over stated the possibilities of XP being involved with this issue. Probably due to my being concerned about you running XP as a stand alone OS.

Anyway, from looking at David's link it looks like the missing file is a font dealing with the European Union. Do you actually use such a font? If not you might want to try the following.

Keep in mind that I've never owned a Kodak printer so I have zero idea as to the software and/or settings that can be changed. Still I would look for a font list and see if the European Union is listed. If so I would remove if possible.

If the above does not apply I would download the most recent drivers and software from Kodak and try an install over the existing install since you can't seem to remove the software.

A few questions if you don't mind.

1) Does the error still appear if the printer is disconnected?

2) When trying to deal with this are you logged onto the system as an admin.?

3) Is this printer connected via USB or wireless?

<edit>

SHOOT! Keep it simple and basic Jay... ;) Have you tried either of the following?

1) Do a system Restore to before the issue started.

2) Just in case Windows Updates may have installed an updated driver for your printer go to the printer properties in Device Manager and see if you have the option to roll back the drivers.

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:39 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Allyson wrote:

Ya... I'm sure that I over stated the possibilities of XP being involved with this issue. Probably due to my being concerned about you running XP as a stand alone OS.

Anyway, from looking at David's link it looks like the missing file is a font dealing with the European Union. Do you actually use such a font? If not you might want to try the following.

Keep in mind that I've never owned a Kodak printer so I have zero idea as to the software and/or settings that can be changed. Still I would look for a font list and see if the European Union is listed. If so I would remove if possible.

If the above does not apply I would download the most recent drivers and software from Kodak and try an install over the existing install since you can't seem to remove the software.

A few questions if you don't mind.

1) Does the error still appear if the printer is disconnected?

2) When trying to deal with this are you logged onto the system as an admin.?

3) Is this printer connected via USB or wireless?

<edit>

SHOOT! Keep it simple and basic Jay... ;) Have you tried either of the following?

1) Do a system Restore to before the issue started.

2) Just in case Windows Updates may have installed an updated driver for your printer go to the printer properties in Device Manager and see if you have the option to roll back the drivers.

I will try to answer some of the above questions: The error appears whether the printer is connected or not. I do not know if I am logged in as administrator or not, I am the only one on this computer so how can I tell? The printer is connected via USB. I did do a system restore to back before the problem but that did not help. I tried using the Printer installation disk to write over the existing program but 2 seconds after it starts, it is stopped by the original error message. I tried uninstalling the program through the control panel>program featueres but cannot do that either. I completely removed the printer, shut off the power, removed the usb cable but the error continues. I was able to remove the printer in the control panel under Devices and Printers but the error was still there. I was able to now install the printer again using the Kodak CD. After doing this, the printer was able to print ok but I still have that error message. Also, the scanner was able to scan a pic and save it to file. I am beginning to think that the error message is a virus and has nothing to do with the printer. I ran a full scan with Kaspersky and found nothing though.....your thoughts Jay?

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:35 pm 

If you think that it is an infection try running a full scan with MBAM.
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

To see if you are logging on as an admin got to your Control Panel -> User Accounts.

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

If you hover over the link in the error message that directs you to click for more information, can you see a URL and does it point to Kodak.com?
(Don't click it if you suspect an infection)
Personally, it doesn't look like a typical dialog that indicates an infection or is attempting to have you allow an infection through by clicking that link...
-steve

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:39 pm 

I agree with Steve in not thinking this is likely to be an infection but it is always possible. I'm asking, above, that you do a full scan with MBAM to further assure that this is not do to an infection.

Personally, looking at David's link, I think that this is all caused by the system wanting the European Union font set which you probably do not have.

DANG!!!!! I just went back through this thread and found the following.
I have no idea as to what the KB number might be but look through your update list and un-install the danged thing.

Allyson wrote:
dvair wrote:

I looked at this dvair and right away noticed that European Font thing. That was a KB from Microsoft so I will have to check into that. Thanks

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:24 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
If you hover over the link in the error message that directs you to click for more information, can you see a URL and does it point to Kodak.com?
(Don't click it if you suspect an infection)
Personally, it doesn't look like a typical dialog that indicates an infection or is attempting to have you allow an infection through by clicking that link...
-steve

Hi Steve, that image only appears on the desktop and when I hover over it, it does not diplay a link to anything

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:44 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
If you think that it is an infection try running a full scan with MBAM.
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

To see if you are logging on as an admin got to your Control Panel -> User Accounts.

Hi Jay, I ran the full scan using the above program and it found a few things and it removed them and said to restart the computer so I did and then it would not boot up beyond adding the password. I did a manual shutdown and selected safe mode with networking. From there, it suggested system restore, so I went back a day and it seems to be working ok now. The toolbar "Translation Buddy" was listed quite a few times in the scan and it was removed by malwarebytes and then put back again on the restore....at least it shows up in the control panel under programs and features. I tried to uninstall it but got an error message that it is not a valid Win32 application so it remains in the control panel. That program must have come along with something else and I have never seen it or used it.

That's all the bad news but the good news is that Windows 7 has been running for about 45 minutes now and my Kodak error message has not shown up.

As for Administrator, when I go to user accounts, on the right side it says Allyson-Administrator. Thanks for all your help. Im going to let the computer run all night and see if my Kodak error tries to sneak back in.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:48 pm 
welcoming committee

It is now the next day and my pop up Kodak is gone. Malwarebytes must have chewed it up. Thank you, thank you, Thank you !!!

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:38 pm 

You are welcome. :)

I'm glad that the Kodak alerts seems to be gone but I'm a bit surprised that you had to go to Safe Mode after running MBAM. This is only the second time that I've seen any sort of startup issue after an MBAM scan, the first was caused by residue from a Norton install.

The reason that you still see the toolbar in your Control Panel is due to the System Restore. System Restore put back the registry entries but MBAM removed the files. Without doing registry edits you will not get rid of the Control Panel entry, probably not worth the effort. Well, actually you might be able to get rid of the Control Panel entry. I assume that you mean the listing is still in the Programs and Features applet of the Control Panel. Try another uninstall and see if you don't get an option to remove the listing after the uninstall fails.

If you don't get the option to remove the listing you could delete the entire toolbar folder and then, again, do an uninstall. With the folder gone you would almost certainly get the option to remove the listing. Unless the listing really bothers you I would not go through the hassle. Also, if I were to do this I would absolutely create a system image first.

Another option would be Revo Uninstaller.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html
Scroll down a bit for the free version. I have never used this software but it gets excellent reviews including some from members on this forum.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:30 pm 
welcoming committee

I've used Revo free for years and am worked very well for me

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:43 pm 
welcoming committee

I've actually been using Revo Pro and I find it was worth the money

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:51 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Without doing registry edits you will not get rid of the Control Panel entry, probably not worth the effort. Unless the listing really bothers you I would not go through the hassle. Also, if I were to do this I would absolutely create a system image first.

I'm ok with it staying there Jay, what I wanted removed was the Kodak error and it's gone. The Kodak printer is also gone, it's in the garage waiting to be taken to the hazardous material recycle center. I bought and installed a new canon printer and heaven help us if it ever gives me a pop up error code that won't go away because it has 10 entries listed in Programs and Features..........can you believe that??

http://www.picpaste.com/canon1-5KwT42xQ.jpg

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:27 am 

Some of those entries are actually needed some are not. Many are utilities that Cannon offers for free, some are quite good and useful. All of these installs are safe. I swear by Canon Printers, just love them. By any chance did you get a Canon Pixma series printer? The Pixma line is my preference but that line is optimized for photo printing even though it is an all around printer; I do quite a bit of photo printing.

While I doubt that I would ever buy a Kodak printer I doubt that the error you had was actually initiated by anything associated with the printer. I suspect the KB update for the European font or the tool bar. It could even be that the toolbar messed up the KB update.

Keep the following for future reference as you cannot use this wonderful source until your Canon Printer warranty is expired. There is an on-line outfit named Supplies Outlet that has remarkable ink prices. My Canon Pixma uses 5 ink cartridges along with a 6th that replaces one of the blacks for true grey scale printing. The reason for so many cartridges is that each of the colors are separate. Also there are 2 black cartridges, one for text printing and another for photo; one is dye based the other pigment.

Anyway, if I were to go to Walmart, each cartridge would cost me ~$17.00. On-line, through Supplies Outlet, I'm paying ~$5.00 per cartridge. Considering the time taken I consider this even cheaper than refilling your own cartridges.

The reason I say to wait until your warranty is up is that the cartridges are generic. The use of generic cartridges could possibly void your warranty, I just don't know.
http://www.suppliesoutlet.com/

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:02 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Some of those entries are actually needed some are not. Many are utilities that Cannon offers for free, some are quite good and useful. All of these installs are safe. I swear by Canon Printers, just love them. By any chance did you get a Canon Pixma series printer? The Pixma line is my preference but that line is optimized for photo printing even though it is an all around printer; I do quite a bit of photo printing.

While I doubt that I would ever buy a Kodak printer I doubt that the error you had was actually initiated by anything associated with the printer. I suspect the KB update for the European font or the tool bar. It could even be that the toolbar messed up the KB update.

Keep the following for future reference as you cannot use this wonderful source until your Canon Printer warranty is expired. There is an on-line outfit named Supplies Outlet that has remarkable ink prices. My Canon Pixma uses 6 ink cartridges along with a 7th that replaces one of the blacks for true grey scale printing. The reason for so many cartridges is that each of the colors are separate. Also there are 2 black cartridges, one for text printing and another for photo; one is dye based the other pigment.

Anyway, if I were to go to Walmart, each cartridge would cost me ~$17.00. On-line, through Supplies Outlet, I'm paying ~$5.00 per cartridge. Considering the time taken I consider this even cheaper than refilling your own cartridges.

The reason I say to wait until your warranty is up is that the cartridges are generic. The use of generic cartridges could possibly void your warranty, I just don't know.
http://www.suppliesoutlet.com/

Yes, it is a Canon Pixma MX922 so I will heed your warning about generic cartridges. Thanks Jay for the heads up on the ink. I have already bookmarked that site.

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:45 am 

Good! I'm glad to see that your printer also has separate color cartridges instead of a single tri-color cartridge. I always hated having one cartridge for all colors as you run out of one color and have to replace all three even though the other two are not empty.

If you can actually read the language you might want to see if using generic cartridges would void your warranty. Here is a link to the cartridges for your printer through Supplies Outlet.
http://www.suppliesoutlet.com/SearchRes ... ?Cat=30770
Note the first listing. You get two of each cartridge for $49.99. That is $4.99 per cartridge + shipping. At Walmart each cartridge would cost you ~$17.00 for a total of ~$170.00 + tax.

Yes these are generic cartridges but they seem proud of the things. The cartridges I get are translucent so you can actually see how full they are. Mine show a little air space but some is needed. They are almost totally full. I have to print 6-8 (conservative) 8.5X11 inch borderless photos before any of the cartridges will even start to show below 100% full.

Sorry if all this sounds like a sales pitch but I guess it actually is. I swear by this outfit. You would think that my doing a lot of photo printing would tend to make me go with the Canon cartridges as one would think that they would be the best. Well... I run a photo department for Walgreens. I have several professional photographers that use our services. Of these photographers I have become friends with a few... OK, history... before I went to Supplies I printed test photos using Canon ink. After getting ink from Supplies Outlet I printed the exact same photos. OK, so now, I have test cases from Canon ink and Supplies Outlet. I presented the images to three of my professional customers. One said that they could not tell a difference. The other two selected the prints done with the ink from Supplies Outlet as superior.

This was a 'blind test'. I did not say anything like "I'm trying different ink" which is better. I marked the backs of the photos so I could keep them straight and just asked which seemed better. The ink from Supplies Outlet won hand down.

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:25 am 

I'll give my vote to using generic ink. I always have Epson printers as they've always worked well for us. They use separate inks and I use JetTec inks for my printers and have never had problems using them.

I can get a full set of inks for not much more than buying just one of the branded inks.

I don't know if it's the same with your inks but if you're going to change them you have to change all 4 inks at once the first time, you are then able to just change a single ink when necessary.

Occasionally you'll get a message, you get it when first changing the ink, that you are not using the correct ink but it asks if you want to carry on and clicking yes the message goes away and you can carry on.

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:03 am 
welcoming committee

Just a thought. Printer software tends to add entries to startup. You really don't need that on startup.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware