Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:41 am 
Fearless Leader

Yes. Often it will log startup and shutdown as events. I don't know about this particular software though.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:31 am 
welcoming committee

The one setting you may want to change is whether you want the system to run as long as possible while on battery or shut down early.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 56.45 KiB | Viewed 20520 times ]
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:52 am 
welcoming committee

I'd install the software. It is useful

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:52 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
The one setting you may want to change is whether you want the system to run as long as possible while on battery or shut down early.

David, I've changed that setting to be same as you show.

I still don't know what my UPS unit means by 'Events'. The UPS display itself shows that I've had 29 Events to date. However, I know I haven't had any power outages or brown outs, and I've restarted my computer a dozen times at most since I installed the UPS.

Sure enough, the Power Condition Summary chart shown below shows no outages and no over/under voltages. So do you know what the UPS means by Events and why mine shows 29 of these?
Attachment:
powerproblem.JPG
powerproblem.JPG [ 79.44 KiB | Viewed 20507 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:08 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Are you SURE that there have not been over a dozen restarts? Add just two more restarts and the numbers match as the initial shutdown would account for the events being 29 instead of 28.

My personal advice would be to quit being so concerned with event logs. From your screenshot everything seems to be working fine. It seems to me that the best thing to do would be to let it keep working fine. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:38 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Are you SURE that there have not been over a dozen restarts? Add just two more restarts and the numbers match as the initial shutdown would account for the events being 29 instead of 28.
Jay, I am ABSOLUTELY sure that there have not been more than a dozen restarts. I kept a log indicating each time I had a restart, and the log currently shows 10 fingers and 2 toes worth.

My personal advice would be to quit being so concerned with event logs. From your screenshot everything seems to be working fine. It seems to me that the best thing to do would be to let it keep working fine. ;)
These are not event logs. It is a reading on the UPS display screen that shows Events (29). As to be expected, other readings on the display screen include: Input Voltage (118v), Output Voltage (118v), Output Frequency (60Hz), Output Wattage (145w), Estimated Run Time (41min), etc., etc. I understand ALL of these except for Events (29).....thus my question. :dunno:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:33 pm 

I still don't see the issue. Your screen shot shows all as being well.

You state that " I kept a log indicating each time I had a restart, and the log currently shows 10 fingers and 2 toes worth." That would account for 24 events so we are only missing 5. Have you done any Windows Updates? These would be different events but would likely still be counted.

From everything that you have posted my only reply is to say that it looks to be working so just leave it alone to do its job.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:01 am 
welcoming committee

This may be a quirk of the Cyber Power software. Maybe they count each item as an event even though the number of times is zero. For example, the screenshot probably shows four events where nothing has happened.

I'm with Jay; it seems everything is fine. These types of screens are informational and for the most part to be used when there is a problem of some sort rather than on an ongoing basis. I'd believe it when it says the UPS is working normally and would not necessarily try to rationalize what it means by events but rather what it actually says.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:18 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks to Jay and Manny for answering my question regarding Events.

BTW, I don't question what the CyberPower informational screen on my computer says, and I know that it says all is well. I question why the display of the UPS unit itself says 29 Events.

David.........Help!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:45 am 
welcoming committee

I gave one possible explanation but to get to it you'll have to show where it says the 29 events. It may be that it's saying it has 29 minutes of reserve power. No idea really without seeing it.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:54 am 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
I gave one possible explanation but to get to it you'll have to show where it says the 29 events. It may be that it's saying it has 29 minutes of reserve power. No idea really without seeing it.

Manny, this is hard to show since it is on the UPS unit itself. I guess I could take a picture of the UPS with my iPhone, but I'm not. You will just have to take my word for what I am seeing on the UPS Display Screen.

As stated in my above post, here is what the Display Screen shows as I press through the function menu: Input Voltage (118v), Output Voltage (118v), Output Frequency (60Hz), Output Wattage (145w), Estimated Run Time (41min), etc., etc. I understand ALL of these except for Events (29).....thus my question.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:30 pm 
Fearless Leader

Bb, is there nowhere in the software where it shows the events? As others have pointed out, every restart consists of both a shutdown and a startup of the software. Add one for the initial startup and that gives you 25. That leaves 4 events unidentified. A possible event that might be counted could be a drop in voltage in which the UPS had to boost your voltage so that the voltage remained unchanged at the computer (a brown out, so to speak). You would not notice such a thing, because you are not supposed to notice it. That's the whole point of having a UPS. Same would be true of a spike that hit the UPS that it had to dampen down; or a split-second disruption of power. Any of these could be events.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:09 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Bb, is there nowhere in the software where it shows the events? As others have pointed out, every restart consists of both a shutdown and a startup of the software. Add one for the initial startup and that gives you 25. That leaves 4 events unidentified. A possible event that might be counted could be a drop in voltage in which the UPS had to boost your voltage so that the voltage remained unchanged at the computer (a brown out, so to speak). You would not notice such a thing, because you are not supposed to notice it. That's the whole point of having a UPS. Same would be true of a spike that hit the UPS that it had to dampen down; or a split-second disruption of power. Any of these could be events.

Patty, nowhere in the software or on the CyberPower website do they define events. And I realize that any of the things you list could be events. That's what I'm trying to find out......how does CyberPower define an event? My original question was directed at David since he has the same UPS and was the one who encouraged me to install the software.

There are two ways I can see status/condition regarding my UPS. One is via the software program wherein the UPS communicates to my computer using a USB cable. The screen I show in a previous posting is the Power Condition Summary from that software.......as everyone has pointed out, this summary says all is well and that my UPS is working normally.

For those who might not want to install/use this software, status can also be obtained directly from the UPS unit itself by clicking a Display button and walking through a function menu. This is where I can read parameters like Input/Output Voltages, Estimated Run Time, etc. One of the parameters shown on this Display screen is Events, currently showing a value of 29......I do not know what this means.

As a matter of course, I always seek answers from the manufacturer and/or developer before I bother anyone on Computer Haven. Since I couldn't find any help elsewhere, I asked David if he knew. Then all heck broke loose :dunno:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:45 pm 
welcoming committee

We must have a different model, mine does not show any events.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

The documentation for this unit says:
EVENT: This meter records the number of power outages.
This suggests that since you initially set this up, power was interrupted to the UPS a total of 29 times. Did you unplug the UPS or switch of power at the outlet to the unit multiple times? Did you press the test button multiple times?
If you shut off power, unplug or press test, does the count increase by 1 for one or more of these things?

-steve

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:10 pm 
welcoming committee

It also may be picking up spikes or drops in the line voltage.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:48 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
The documentation for this unit says:
EVENT: This meter records the number of power outages.
This suggests that since you initially set this up, power was interrupted to the UPS a total of 29 times. Did you unplug the UPS or switch of power at the outlet to the unit multiple times? Did you press the test button multiple times?
If you shut off power, unplug or press test, does the count increase by 1 for one or more of these things?

-steve

Steve, thanks for locating the definition of events. I looked, but it escaped me.

Although not uncommon for my area, there have been no power outages since I installed my UPS about 4 weeks ago. The software Power Condition Summary that I posted above confirms this - no power outages or over/under voltages during the last 4 week period.

I have only unplugged the UPS once since I got it (so I could move it). And at that time, I was not paying any attention to the events count (I didn't even know about it). But after receiving your post reply, I did two things......I ran the self-test and a little later I turned the UPS unit off. The events count did not increase either time.

However, earlier this afternoon the event count increased from 29 to 32 during a rather strong thunderstorm. The UPS never beeped nor did my computer ever go off during this storm. So maybe David is right.....maybe events includes line voltage spikes or drops.

At this point I think I need to contact CyberPower and see what they say about my ever-increasing events count. But thanks to all for trying to help me with this perplexing issue. :bow7:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for testing my theory. :-) Yes, it sure seems that voltage drops count as events. My various Tripp-Lite units don't keep track of "events" at all, but I can watch the voltage fluctuate pretty dramatically at times, especially during a storm or a heat wave when area power consumption is peaking. The voltage has to drop pretty low in order for it to signal with a beep and kick over to battery, but the units regulate the supplied current, so even moderate drops in voltage could conceivably be an "event" for your unit.
By the way, I ended up on the European Cyber Power site and documentation for that series, but the 1300 unit, not your 1350, so your documentation may well not include that text. :-)

-steve

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:03 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Thanks for testing my theory. :-) Yes, it sure seems that voltage drops count as events. My various Tripp-Lite units don't keep track of "events" at all, but I can watch the voltage fluctuate pretty dramatically at times, especially during a storm or a heat wave when area power consumption is peaking. The voltage has to drop pretty low in order for it to signal with a beep and kick over to battery, but the units regulate the supplied current, so even moderate drops in voltage could conceivably be an "event" for your unit.
That's probably what is happening to me, but I'm still going to contact CyberPower just to confirm that voltage drops (not just outages) count as events.

By the way, I ended up on the European Cyber Power site and documentation for that series, but the 1300 unit, not your 1350, so your documentation may well not include that text. :-)
I wish I could say otherwise, but I went back to my 4-fold instruction sheet and found the sentence you quoted. So it was there all the time, but I just missed it. Thanks again.
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:49 pm 
Fearless Leader

bbarry wrote:
So maybe David is right.....maybe events includes line voltage spikes or drops.

Ahem!... I said it before David. LOL
(Just teasing you, Bb.)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:39 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
bbarry wrote:
So maybe David is right.....maybe events includes line voltage spikes or drops.

Ahem!... I said it before David. LOL
(Just teasing you, Bb.)

Yes, yes you did Patty.......twice matter of fact. :urock:

At the time I guess I had my mind on restarts, so spikes and drops didn't register with me. Especially since the software was still saying no power outages or over/under voltages.

I still want to see how CyberPower explains this.

Thanks again.....

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:53 am 
Fearless Leader

I had to go back and check this, but I believe the 29 events you are seeing are on the UPS hardware itself, correct? We've accounted for 25. My guess is that this goes the entire life of the unit, and that it was tested before it shipped. Just like you'll see a few miles on a new car.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:02 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
I had to go back and check this, but I believe the 29 events you are seeing are on the UPS hardware itself, correct? We've accounted for 25. My guess is that this goes the entire life of the unit, and that it was tested before it shipped. Just like you'll see a few miles on a new car.

That's a good point, Patty, and I didn't pay attention to the events number when I first started using it.

And yes, it is on the hardware itself. The UPS unit has a small display screen and when I press the Display button I can walk through a function menu and see parameters like input/output voltage, estimated run time, events, etc.

The software (which I didn't install until a couple of weeks later) still shows no outages or voltage spikes/drops. But minor voltage spikes/drops must count as an event, because yesterday during a bad thunderstorm the events number jumped from 29 to 32, even though there were no outages and no signals emanating from the UPS.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, I contacted CyberPower regarding Events, and here was their response:

Thank you for contacting CyberPower Tech Support.
The software records only those events that occur while the computer is fully awake and only if the event lasts more than 0.5 seconds. The event counter records all events at any time lasting longer than 0.004 seconds. The event counter will count and capture more events that the software would disregard as noise. To check that the software is recording serious events just unplug the UPS from the wall for a few seconds and plug it back in then check the software.

So, indeed, it sounds like short voltage spikes/drops do get counted as events by the Event counter, but not by the software unless they last more than 0.5 seconds.

I'll have to get in a 'furniture moving' mood before I can unplug the UPS from the wall. Until then I will just accept that both the software and the UPS unit itself are working correctly.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:47 pm 

Please do not do the 'unplug' test as this will remove your ground line. The only way to safely do this to my knowledge is to have the UPS on a surge protector and just turn off the surge protector. You do not want to remove your ground line by unplugging.

While nothing bad would be likely to happen the CyberPower tech advice is not optimal as to system safety.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware