Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: TV Tuners
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:45 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Does anyone else use one? I'm just wondering if any other company has caught up with Hauppauge.

I just ordered the following for my media system as my OLD USB tuner is just a touch glitchy in Win 10 but am thinking about putting an internal card in another system. Any suggestions?

What I got for my media system...
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... +QAM+tuner
You can get a tuner of decent quality for under $100.00 but I'm paying $131.00 for this unit for three reasons.
1) It is also an FM Tuner.
2) It also has RCA inputs. Why do I want RCA inputs? Well I go to the local Salvation Army Store and spend $5.00 for a VCR unit. I can now convert VCR tapes to DVD. Believe it or not there is a fairly large demand for this type of service. Since I'm strongly considering retiring this would give me something else to do. ;)
3) Having a hardware MPG-2 encoder it allows itself to be used as a DVR without affecting system performance.

Post subject: Re: TV Tuners
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:31 pm 

The following is longer than needed but may be of interest if read. To a degree it is a method of my going through a progression of thought as to ending up with my best media solution... I think that I succeeded. :)

Well I seem to have answered my own question as to if Hauppauge is still the best. Looking at many 'top ten' type review sites it is still the most common brand listed. Actually my previous tuner, Hauppauge 950Q, still shows up in the top 10 on several reviews. Since that is the case I'll probably just use it on the other system instead of going with an internal card. LOL! Actually I do already have a Hauppauge internal card that works fine but I can't use as I don't have a PCI slot to attach the thing. ;)

My new tuner showed up today and is installed and working great including working fine as a DVR. Really the biggest differences between it and the old is the FM receiver but it does have other advantages such as the ability to connect devices via RCA jacks and/or S-Video.

One thing DID catch me a bit off guard though. My old tuner is totally USB powered while this one is not. It has an AC adapter. I must have missed that in the specs. This is totally fine with me as I had an open outlet and it means less draw on my USB's 5 volt line. This does make it a lot less portable but then it isn't meant to be portable like my older 950Q. As long as the drivers and software are installed on a system I can throw the 950Q on anything.

I guess that I ended up with the best of both worlds. I now have a superior tuner on my media center and also a totally portable device that I can throw between my laptop and bedroom system. Well not totally portable as it DOES have to be physically connected to my cable box. Funny thing is that I actually (for some odd reason) have the needed coaxial splitter and cable to do it although there may be a more eloquent solution.

The eloquent solution... :mrgreen: I can attach the 950Q to my laptop and just leave it. It so happens that my ASUS laptop has wireless HDMI output (WiDi). I already have a WiDi receiver in my bedroom... Just did an essential test for this to all work. I took my cable box clicker in my bedroom and it failed when pointed at the wall between the rooms. However, when pointed at a living room wall through the bedroom door, it worked fine.

LOL! I think that my media capabilities just took a big leap upward. :) Funny thing is that there is not a 'smart' device involved. I consider that to be a good thing. ;) Through the LG Blu-ray player in my bedroom I even have Netflix covered as the player is Wi-Fi enabled and already setup with my router; It can access NetFlix.

I am a TOTALLY happy camper! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:22 am 
welcoming committee

Let me get this straight Jay. So rather than having a TV you bought a tuner and watch TV on your monitor instead is that it?

If so, isn't your monitor not quite as good as the TV? I mean, for example, are the blacks as deep as on a good TV?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:01 pm 

You asked for it Manny! :mrgreen: The following is long but you should read as you might get an idea or three for your own theater setup. :)

I do both Manny. I have dual monitors and my cable IS connected to the second monitor. One of the main reasons for the tuner is to use it as a DVR. Currently my DVR storage is 139 GB as that is the free space on my data drive. Also it is VERY handy for sports as I can pause and rewind live TV up to half an hour. Actually I could extend that time to any wanted as long as I have the drive space. Take a questionable call in a football game. I can rewind to the play and use slow motion and even freeze frame to check it out. When done I just continue and miss nothing. Of course, say I spent 5 minutes, I'd be 5 minutes behind the live game time but I don't notice that as, to me, it is still live.

You also have to consider my monitors... LOL! Remember that I call this my 'media system'.
Monitor #1: 42 inch LG HDTV connected to the system via HDMI.
Monitor #2: 32 inch Emerson HDTV connected to the system via a DVI to HDMI cable that is patched to also carry audio. This is also the monitor that is directly connected to my cable box via HDMI.

Both monitors/HDTV's are driven by a Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Series Nitro 4 GB card or the direct cable box link. Trust me in that I have no loss of video quality. :)

Yes, I'd rather the second monitor be another LG but the Emerson was bought when I moved in and had to consider price. Sooner or later it will be replaced with another LG and it will move to my bedroom.

With either case I can use the TV speakers or channel through my Yamaha sound system. With the tuner I can also choose to channel the audio through SPDIF which the Yamaha system also accepts.

LOL! Now it finally gets complicated. :mrgreen: To the left of monitor #2 is a corner desk that holds my laptop. With my old tuner connected to the laptop I could actually watch three sources at the same time. Enter a little audio gizmo I talked about in another thread. Plug this FM transmitter in the audio out port of the laptop and set my radio receiver to the proper channel (also connected to the Yamaha) and I could literally have three football games... scratch that as not likely to be available. Let's say two games and NFL Red Zone. All sources for audio are connected to the Yamaha system. I can now select which audio is active with a single press of a clicker button.

LOL! Now does it make more sense? ;) Actually I used the word 'complicated' above but it really is not. Laying everything out was a little complicated but not much, just took thought. The final result is quite simple and, except for fine USB tuner control, can all be handled with my cable clicker. Actually even the tuner does not need the extra clicker (which it has) as all functions can be mouse controlled.

LOL! One more tuner factor... I can be watching a movie or whatever and use the tuner in windowed mode as a picture in picture aspect where I can have total control of the size of the second video window.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:16 pm 

LOL! It just got even better! :)

When an $8.00 (free shipping) item gets here I'll be able to select which HDTV receives the signal from my cable box. I've casually looked for this item but got serious tonight. Believe it or not I found it through Walmart... Sigh I hate that store but sometimes there is no choice. It is a simple HDMI splitter cable. The male end of the cable will plug in to my cable box. This will give me two female plugs that I can then connect to both HDTV's. Video source controls on the HDTV's will select whether the input is from cable or PC. Again this should all still be able to be controlled by just my cable clicker as it allows for 4 devices. The devices I have set up are, of course, the cable box along with both HDTV's and the Yamaha sound system.

Here is the ultra simple cable.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/391867204
Attachment:
hdme splitter.jpg
hdme splitter.jpg [ 11.82 KiB | Viewed 23085 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:48 am 
welcoming committee

Looks like you can do pretty much what I can with my system. I'm sure though, you've done it cheaper than I have by getting the DISH equipment. As long as you are having fun and enjoying it that's all that matters. I certainly enjoy mine and use it every day.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
I certainly enjoy mine and use it every day.

Manny, your theater setup is BEYOND unreal. I want one. :happy62:
Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:05 pm 

Yes I do enjoy it Manny and the two HDTV's being used as monitors prevent any video loss. As the setup is both my entertainment center and my main computer I also use mine every day.

With my Sapphire AMD R9 380 series Nitro 4 GB video it is also a fairly strong gaming system. Flying my Apache 'copter sim at low altitudes I actually get dust vortexes.

While the Yamaha sound is not true surround it more than meets my needs. Shoot, I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment sitting 8-9 feet from my screens. The system is actually quite large for the environment. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:05 am 
welcoming committee

In your next iteration you should try surround sound. A blu-ray DVD performs as if you are in a professional theater. It's really amazing. Sure you don't need it but it's just a way to step it up a notch with very enjoyable results. Some of these movies put you right in the middle of the action with sounds coming from all around you. Not needed, just nice!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:06 am 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Manny Carvalho wrote:
I certainly enjoy mine and use it every day.

Manny, your theater setup is BEYOND unreal. I want one. :happy62:
Acadia
What are you waiting for? Life isn't getting any longer. Thanks for the compliment. It was something I built with my grandson and we both enjoy that fact when we sit down together.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:58 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
What are you waiting for?

LOL. Well, first there is the funds. Then the knowledge required. Then I am missing a grandson, definitely my lost forever. But finally, we would have to add an addition to our home to accommodate all of this. :omg:

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:55 pm 

jaylach wrote:
LOL! It just got even better! :)

When an $8.00 (free shipping) item gets here I'll be able to select which HDTV receives the signal from my cable box. I've casually looked for this item but got serious tonight. Believe it or not I found it through Walmart... Sigh I hate that store but sometimes there is no choice. It is a simple HDMI splitter cable. The male end of the cable will plug in to my cable box. This will give me two female plugs that I can then connect to both HDTV's. Video source controls on the HDTV's will select whether the input is from cable or PC. Again this should all still be able to be controlled by just my cable clicker as it allows for 4 devices. The devices I have set up are, of course, the cable box along with both HDTV's and the Yamaha sound system.

Here is the ultra simple cable.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/391867204
Attachment:
hdme splitter.jpg

Sigh, now I have to deal with Walmart on a return. What good is an HDMI cable that does not carry audio? Even though it does not carry audio my plan was proven as to being able to choose which HDTV gets the cable signal or even both at the same time.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Jay, for an HDMI splitter you will want this or similar:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D6 ... UTF8&psc=1
-steve

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:21 pm 

Thanks Steve. :) I had looked at some boxes but went with just a 'Y' cable as I had no idea that audio would not be fully supported. The one you linked looks fine and the price is reasonable. I'll probably get the thing. LOL! I have no idea as to how I ended up with so many 'straight' HDMI cables but I won't even need to get another to go from the cable box to the splitter box.

I don't know how this works but it seems, after more research, that the cable that I got only covers 'some' audio. For instance, if plugged in to a blu-ray player it will work but not when connected to a cable or satelite box. I just don't get that unless there are different audio lines for different types of devices. I mean look at the thing below. Would not one tend to expect to be able just plug stuff in and have it work? If you happen to know how it is that audio from one device but not another works I'd love to be enlightened. ;)

Attachment:
hdme%20splitter.jpg
hdme%20splitter.jpg [ 11.82 KiB | Viewed 22974 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

All a mystery to me, but the device I linked you to is one that I got when I wanted to split my cable box output to two televisions. It works perfectly. :-) When I looked at options, too many reviews indicated that Y adapters were very touchy.

-steve

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:37 pm 

Apparently ''Y" cables are a bit weird. I just got done proving the review that said it would work with a DVD/Blu-ray player but not a cable box. I patched it in on the HDMI line from by bedroom blu-ray player and screen and the audio was fine as could be. Yet there is no audio if patched from my cable box to either HDTV in the living room even if I only connect one HDTV. :dunno:

Just for grins why is 'bedroom' one word while 'living room' is two? :mrgreen:

<edit>
Steve, the item you recommended has been ordered. I don't do Amazon enough to warrant Amazon Prime so should recieve mid/late next week. I'll follow up with the results. :)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:58 am 
Fearless Leader

You just have to use Amazon more! LOL

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:16 am 
welcoming committee

I would assume that sound doesn't always work is because the connector, not the splitter, doesn't output the sound on the "proper" contact. You know the dueling standards. Wire 5 is this here but it's 3 there ....

Why is English so crazy? Because it borrows from every darn language it can and never looks back. It's kind of like why your connectors don't always work. English, literally, has around a million words while most others have about 250,000. You can argue the exact number because language constantly changes but not the fact of the huge syllabary in English. Consequently, English is just erratic and impossible, almost, to have uniform rules. Remember all the except for in English rules. It makes it incredibly hard to learn if you don't grow up with it. I still have problems even though I've spoken it for over 50 years.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
I still have problems even though I've spoken it for over 50 years.

Heh, I've spoken it for over 60 years and GG still constantly corrects me, but then again, in the 6th grade she represented Pennsylvania in the National Spelling Bee Championship in Washington DC. I'd give anything to have even half of her knowledge of the English language. :bow7:
Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:25 pm 

Manny Carvalho wrote:
I would assume that sound doesn't always work is because the connector, not the splitter, doesn't output the sound on the "proper" contact. You know the dueling standards. Wire 5 is this here but it's 3 there ....

Using your example of lines 3 and 5 you are, of course, correct. It can hardly be anything else. Still, going with the example, why does a straight forward HDMI cable not have the same issues. Of course the answer would be that a straight cable connects both lines 3 and 5. It just boggles my mind that a "Y" cable would not also connect both lines.

LOL! Of course it is also possible that we are both wrong and it is something totally different. :mrgreen:

MacDuffie wrote:
You just have to use Amazon more! LOL

Actually I do find myself using Amazon more than I used to do but still not enough to justify $100.00 a year for free 2 day shipping. I'm just never really in that much of a rush. ;) LOL! Although, in this case, I WAS in too much of a rush. If I had not just gone ahead and ordered from the Amazon link I could have had free shipping from Newegg. I'm not exactly sure why but I almost always get free shipping from Newegg.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:02 am 

Manny Carvalho wrote:

Why is English so crazy? Because it borrows from every darn language it can and never looks back. It's kind of like why your connectors don't always work. English, literally, has around a million words while most others have about 250,000. You can argue the exact number because language constantly changes but not the fact of the huge syllabary in English. Consequently, English is just erratic and impossible, almost, to have uniform rules. Remember all the except for in English rules. It makes it incredibly hard to learn if you don't grow up with it. I still have problems even though I've spoken it for over 50 years.

It's hard even if you've grown up with it Manny, and don't forget your English is different to our English English. :rofl2:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:54 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Manny Carvalho wrote:

Quote:
Using your example of lines 3 and 5 you are, of course, correct. It can hardly be anything else. Still, going with the example, why does a straight forward HDMI cable not have the same issues. Of course the answer would be that a straight cable connects both lines 3 and 5. It just boggles my mind that a "Y" cable would not also connect both lines.

LOL! Of course it is also possible that we are both wrong and it is something totally different. :mrgreen:

You are now in a position to figure it out. Take your ohm meter and trace each pin. Map it out and see what is actually going on

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:58 am 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
It's hard even if you've grown up with it Manny, and don't forget your English is different to our English English. :rofl2:
Right you are, when I watch BBC America I'm usually befuddled by lots of colloquial expressions. I'm sure it's the same for you given the pervasiveness of American television. Well, we just have to live with it and count ourself lucky that it's the most common language in the world. That does make up for its many quirks.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:55 pm 

Actually Manny I don't even have an ohm meter right now. Still it would be easy to test out the lines as all I'd be looking for is continuity. Just take a 'Christmas twinkle light' and attach a AA battery.

If I bother I bet I'll that either pin 2 or 14 is missing from the "Y" connector. Pins 1 and 3 are right and left audio while pin 2 is a shield for pins 1 and 3. Pin 14 is an audio return line. My guess is that a device such as a cable box needs pins 2 and/or 14 to complete the audio circuit while other devices such as a Blu-ray deck completes this circuit internally.

Attachment:
hdmi-pinout.jpg
hdmi-pinout.jpg [ 200.79 KiB | Viewed 22908 times ]

A couple of explanations in relation to my above post...

First why not actually define what HDMI stands for? It is short for High Definition Multimedia Interface. That is just a fancy way of saying one cable for both video and audio although most current HDMI cables can also act as an Ethernet cable.

Since HDMI supports high definition audio and video it may seem strange that the above discussion only mentions 2 lines for audio (right and left) yet it fully supports at least up to 7-2 surround sound. Think about your DVD/Blu-ray player. Unless your deck has HDMI like mine you are probably using RCA jacks to connect. Those cables would probably be red and white for audio and yellow for video. It is the same situation of just having 2 lines for audio yet surround sound still works. The trick of this is that the left and right audio does not just contain audio but also data that your sound system can understand. For instance your right side front and back speakers... Both audio signals are contained in the right hand signal but there is also data sent that tells the sound system that this part of the signal should go to the front speaker while this other part should go to the back speaker.

The above explanation would seem to tend to not be ideal and it is not. With this method there IS a loss of audio quality but most human ears will never notice the loss. The ideal situation is where there is a totally different audio line for each audio line. What this means is that there would be a dedicated source and destination for the front and back speakers along with all the others. This would NOT be a cheap system. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:51 pm 

The new splitter arrived today and all works fine now. I can choose which HDTV displays cable and all works as expected including audio.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware