Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:48 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
For those that have followed my "New Build" thread you know that I am building a 'monster' system.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1652&p=17527#p17527

Since I have the funds, and am dropping a lot of money on this system anyway, I am thinking about finally following my own advice and adding an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS).

I know that there has been discussions on this but they are old and things change. In today's world who is making the best high capacity UPS boxes?

Also any advice on amp hours and wattage would be appreciated. I want to be able to power a 900 watt power supply connected to a 95 watt CPU, 5 hard drives (2-SSD), An HDTV, Cable modem, router and a video card that requires a minimum of a 500 watt power supply.

Of course the above indicates that I only NEED 4 UPS protected outlets but I want to go with a minimum of 8. I also want to be able to power the system off the UPS for a minimum of 5-10 minutes to be able to finish up and shut down.

I would appreciate any recommendations as to power requirements and manufacturer. :)

Further situational info...

In the 4.5 years I've been in my apartment I can only remember 2 cases where a power outage lasted more than 10 minutes due to a storm. Funny thing is that we will get momentary outages of a few seconds quite often when the weather is bright and clear.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

I am partial to Tripp-Lite.
This one meets your needs -- https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... =UTF8&th=1 -- and then some. The size of your Power Supply isn't a concern, it is the total max draw of everything connected.
It doesn't cover the 8 outlets covered for backup power, only 5, but 5 provide surge protection.
You can use the supplied USB cable to allow the PC to automatically shut down when the battery level drops to "x" during an extended outage.
Honestly, you could probably go with the 1300VA model for $30 less.
You should size your UPS by adding the VA consumed by everything you will be connecting and adding at least 15% overhead.
https://www.tripplite.com/products/ups-sizing

-steve

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:52 pm 

Thanks Steve! :) I'll check out your links. I have already looked at your first link as to an actual product. To be honest I was a little surprised as it is WELL within what I'm ready to spend. Personally I thought that, since I want to power an HDTV, Cable modem and router along with just the PC, I would need something larger.

As to your second link... I will have to look in more detail. I'm not really all that good at figuring out exactly how much power a system needs/uses. There are just too many variables. LOL! I just tend to guess as to what I need and increase by 50%. That is why I have a 900 watt power supply instead of a 600. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:40 pm 

I'm going with the one that you recommended Steve except that I'm getting through NewEgg instead of Amazon. Same price and still get free shipping. Besides, everything else being equal, I may as well get everything from the same source.

I almost opted for one that was just slightly more as to cost that has 940 watt until I realized that it only had 8 plugs (4/4) while the one that you recommended has 10 (5/5).

Of course I'm just guessing but figure that it should give a good 30 minutes minimum of power for everything that I want to connect. Reviews say 90 minutes for an average computer but mine will not be average. I figure that the cable modem takes next to nothing and an HDTV is not all that power hungry. Probably closer to 45 minutes...

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:49 pm 
welcoming committee

I have a 1500 on my setup (Cyberpower), you will be surprised at how little you actually draw. I don't overclock anything so I am only drawing around 90 watts right now.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:24 pm 

What all do you have connected to the battery backed outlets David? I'm looking at...
Computer
42 inch HDTV
Cable modem
Router
Phone (Landline cable phone. I don't do cells.)

Of course I realize that only the computer and TV are going to pull anything that matters much.

Hmmm, I'm looking at where I'm going to put the thing. I assume laying on its side is fine?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:45 pm 
welcoming committee

Computer, monitor (21"),and USB Hub on the battery side with several things in the Surge Only side. I have modem, router, telephone on a separate smaller (550) UPS.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:10 pm 

I also plan on using the non-battery plugs for things like my second HDTV, DVD player, cable box, VCR and printer. With the total of 10 plugs I figure that I can get rid of a LOT of cords. Right now I have 2 power strips and 2 extension cords. I can probably get rid of both extension cords and a power strip.

I know that it sounds like I'm over doing my outlets but not really as 5 plugs are for very low wattage accent lights. Also the cable box, DVD player and VCR are only on one at a time. The only things that are normally on are the 2 HDTV's, cable box, router, modem and accent lights.

Again, does anyone see any issue with putting a UPS on its side instead of upright? Looking at things I can probably squeeze it in upright but would be a LOT easier if I can put it on its side.

<edit>
Hmmm, after doing some searching it would seem that there is not likely an issue with laying the UPS on its side as to the batteries but MAY be as to cooling if it is convection. I think that I will take the simple route and just ask Trip Lite. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't think that putting it on its side will be an issue, but you might want to put some sort of spaces underneath to lift it up slightly and deal with the air flow. It will get warm when on battery power only. It has internal fans that kick on when the battery backup takes over power duties. In normal use in-line, the fan doesn't ever kick on.
I think you'll be happy with the Tripp Lite. I've got 4 of them in service here. :-)
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:06 pm 

That is my view Steve but I still want to hear back from Trip Lite. Assuming that the batteries are lead/acid there are some that need the top contacts to be out of the fluid. The chance of this being the case is slim as I believe it would only apply to some unsealed batteries. I would think that a unit that is designed to be used within a household would only use sealed batteries.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:53 am 
Site Admin

Yes, waiting for a response is a good plan, but I can also advise that the batteries are indeed sealed.
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:15 pm 

Looks good as to laying on its side as expected but I emailed back asking for clarification as the reference to 'rack mount' confuses me a bit as it is not a rack mount UPS. I included an image of the actual UPS in question.
Trip Lite wrote:
This unit is designed to be used in the horizontal rack mount format, or vertically (on its side).

So with that said, placement is a-ok.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:18 pm 

Trip Lite answer on the proper unit:
Trip Lite wrote:
I stand corrected re: part number.

Can you place this on its side? Yes.

Is it really designed for that purpose? Not really but if you have spacers you should be fine.

But the Smart1500LCD is a comparable unit and can be place on its side.

Hope this helps, let me now if you have any additional questions.

I looked at the suggested Smart1500LCD... It would take up less room being a rack mount but the problem is it is an 8 outlet instead of 10 and 54% of the reviews are only 1 star; not going to happen.

<edit>
Hey Steve, since you use the units, do you happen to know if the Trip Lite SMART1500LCDT batteries are replaceable? They are not on the Smart1500LCD.

<edit #2>
Never mind Steve. I finally found some tech reviews on the Smart1500LCDT and it appears that not only are the batteries replaceable but 'hot' replaceable.

Also, to be fair to the Smart1500LCD, a lot of the negative reviews were due to the fact that the batteries are not replaceable. I will also say that I did not realize that the 8 outlets were ALL UPS and surge, not 4/4.

I'm tempted to go with the Smart1500LCD instead of the Smart1500LCDT but will stay with the Smart1500LCDT. To be honest the fact that the Smart1500LCDT is 5/5 is an advantage to me over the Smart1500LCD having all 8 outlets UPS. The point is that the 5 UPS outlets on the Smart1500LCDT will cover everything I want to keep going under an outage. The 5 surge only outlets will be used for such things as my audio system, cable box, etc.. This will enable me to get rid of a lot of wires yet not lessen the run time of the battery by powering items I don't specifically want running during an outage.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

In my experience, the batteries on all of the Tripp Lite units are replaceable, even when they indicate not being "user" replaceable. They are typically a very tight fit inside the unit. The bigger units have two sealed lead acid batteries connected in series by a single wire with a red lead from the unit to one battery's positive terminal and the black lead going to the other battery's negative terminal. The connections are slip on connectors that require pliers to remove and the leads are fairly short, making removal and replacement pretty tedious and tricky. ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:09 pm 

sboots wrote:
In my experience, the batteries on all of the Tripp Lite units are replaceable, even when they indicate not being "user" replaceable.

Well that is true of just about anything. :mrgreen:

Still I think I'm better off with the tower unit instead of the rack mount. The 5 UPS and 5 just surge outlets better serve my needs. Sigh, if the rack mount were also 5/5 as to outlets or even 4/4 I'd probably get it.

The tower will take up more room and costs ~$60.00 more but will better do what I want. Actually I'll just have to relocate an accent light and teddy bear as they occupy the same 'cubby' in my entertainment setup as my cable box. I'll just put the UPS in that cubby with the cable box on top. Hmmm, I can adjust a shelf up a little and also stack my VCR, DVD and router. Put the bear and light in the now empty cubby where the DVD, VCR and router were and I actually think that I would gain a little room.

I figure that 1 inch blocks under the UPS should give enough air flow to the vents on one side. The VCR will be at the bottom of the added 'stack' and I figure also using 1 inch blocks between the UPS and VCR should do fine for the other vents.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware