Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: Anyone ever see this?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:10 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I just configured an older Dell laptop for a neighbor so he could connect to his HDTV via HDMI and it gave me fits.

Turns out that the thing runs dual graphics chips; one Intel and one NVidia. The Intel handles the laptop screen and has WiDi (wireless HDMI) as it's second output. The NVidia chip handles the physical HDMI port.

It was a minor pain but I got it working. The problem was that doing a straight dual display setup would not work. I could extend the display but not duplicate which is what was wanted. The system would see three displays with one and two being from the Intel with number two actually being the WiDi option. The third display was the NVidia output. I could extend from display one to three but the only option to duplicate was one and two. I solved by disabling the second display which made the NVidia HDMI now number two. From there I could duplicate.

Has anyone else ever seen a setup like this?

On hindsight I could have made it a lot easier by just un-installing the WiDi drivers which would have made the Intel chip a single output. In the future I would do just that unless the person wanted to possibly use WiDi. The problem is that hindsight does not kick in until you are already done. ;) By the time I figured out what was actually going on I already had it working...

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:31 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Well so much for the dual display working. Six days later it died. The system is a Dell Latitude E6420 and this seems to be a common issue. Searching the issue I find all kinds of results about running three displays but nothing on two displays that work unless using a video docking bay.

I'll take another look tomorrow to see if I can disable WiDi but I have doubts. Dells are SO wonderful! (sarcastic grimmace included) For anyone running a Dell and happy don't take my comments wrong. As long as you run them as they come I suppose they are OK. The problem comes when you try to modify the setup to take advantage of more advanced features.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware