Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:08 pm 
welcoming committee

I got the dreaded message the other day telling me that Windows 7 was being ditched, and I had really thought it would make no difference, but I was wrong. I struggled with my computer a lot that day--started wondering if their last update had installed something that made it all go south. But everything is functioning now except for --weird of the weirdness-- my DVD drive. It hasn't worked since, and I cannot figure out why. Seems like that would surely not be connected to this event, unless drivers were uninstalled or something? It runs, but just never recognizes that there is a disc in the drive. Anyone have suggestions? (other than upgrading...I know :roll: )

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:32 pm 
welcoming committee

The laser inside could bad. With the computer powered down, try removing the power plug to the drive for a few seconds and then plugging back in. Turn the computer back on and see if it works, if not time for a new drive, they are pretty cheap.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If dvair's advice doesn't work go to Device Manager and remove the drive. restart the system and let Windows reinstall the thing.

By not recognizing an inserted disk do you mean that a disk cannot be read or can you access the disk but it just does not auto start?

No, Windows 7 end of life should not affect the drive.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:24 pm 
welcoming committee

It doesn't recognize that there is a disc in the drive, and prompts me to insert a disc. I have reinstalled the drive, but had no luck. The weird thing is that 2-3 times it has randomly started playing the disc that I had left in the drive. Like, days later, while I was reading an article or something, I would hear it spin, and the DVD would start. Bizarre. I'm assuming that's what happens when the laser is bad? I bought this laptop in 2014, and the screen has a few spots of pressure damage from mishandling on an airplane, so I am wondering if it's worth replacing a bad drive. :|

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:55 pm 

By the comment on the screen I take it that this is a laptop?

Bought in 2014, huh? Unless it was a beast when bought it is probably about due to be replaced. On the other hand you could always buy an external DVD burner then, when the system is eventually replaced, the external could be used on the new system. If, otherwise, the system is doing fine for you why pay a lot for a new system when you can get an external burner for under $25.00 USD. Of course, to me, it would depend a lot on how much damage there is to the screen.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Yeah... I've been living with it for a couple years now. Kind of weird... at first it was just a dime-sized dot at bottom left, but it kept growing until quarter-sized and eventually a couple more dime-sized dots appeared. It seems to have stopped changing (I think) and they are all on one edge, so it basically just makes my screen smaller. I waver between fascination and annoyance. I was going to attach a screenshot, but it doesn't show the black spots. Never thought of that! :)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:47 pm 

No, a screenshot would not show the screen damage, you would need to do a photo. A screenshot shows what is put out from the video card, it is not an image of the actual screen. I don't know that an image would be of much help anyway as we really can't do anything about physical damage except to possible diagnose something.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware