Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:31 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I almost put this in the software section but it does deal directly with my video card...

I wonder if this is just coincidence or if AMD actually listens. In most cases I don't mess a lot with updating device drivers as I'm a believer of not fixing what isn't broken but my AMD Sapphire R9 380 series 4GB Nito video card is an exception as they are constantly putting out driver and software updates to improve game and media compatibility. On an average these updates come through every week or so.

Anyway I play some old games that were put out before wide screen displays were common. I'm talking about games that were written in the days of Windows 2000 and XP so the games want to display square instead of wide screen.

The settings software for the card allows for scaling such games, or other software, to display as wide screen but I play a few that setting the display to "full Panel" (re-scale to use the entire display) for the game did nothing and they would still display as a square in the middle of the screen. This setting is app specific.

The software also has an option to report issues which I finally decided to use a while back. I reported the issue and two or three updates later the problem was solved and all these problem games now display taking the entire display per my settings for the game within Radeon's software.

I wonder if this is just coincidence or if they actually saw my issue report and acted. I'll probably never really know but I will still take full credit. :mrgreen:
:skitty:

As a sort of funny side note there is still an issue with some of these games. Some of these games have a setting to use hardware acceleration but it does not work. This only affects some minor animation without affecting game play at all. The in-game settings will report back that the video card is not capable of doing the hardware acceleration which, of course, is silly. It is my belief that it is really just the simple fact that when the games were written there was no concept of today's video cards and the game just cannot 'read' what the card can do.

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Based on the fact that they issue updates that frequently, I would suspect that your report was probably one of many that caused them to address and fix the issue. I am sure that others also experienced and reported what you did so that it was on the radar to fix. ;-)

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:24 pm 

sboots wrote:
Based on the fact that they issue updates that frequently, I would suspect that your report was probably one of many that caused them to address and fix the issue. I am sure that others also experienced and reported what you did so that it was on the radar to fix. ;-)

Oh I know that. ;) I'd still take full credit though. :mrgreen: Problem is seems to have not stayed fixed. Did another re-boot and went back to "square one". :(

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
[I'd still take full credit though.(

LOL! :-D

Strange that a reboot caused the issue to return...

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:17 pm 

Especially odd on the re-boot as I always do a clean install of my video drivers which requires a re-boot and I reboot again when it's all done. Tried the games that won't do full panel and they worked. Later I tried to open the Radeon software and it wouldn't open so I re-booted again. The Radeon software then opened fine but the games went back to not being full panel. :dunno:

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:59 pm 

Well go figure... :dunno:

Another Radeon software and driver update and then the May 2021 Windows 10 Feature Update and games are back to full panel... :dunno:

Wonder how long it will last this time. :?: It's actually sort of funny. Regardless of the games in question being full panel or their native 'square' format they play the same but I don't. I guess it is a matter of perspective. ;)

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:13 pm 

Yippee! :mrgreen: This time it even seems to survive re-boots. I wonder it not staying fixed last time was due to the Radeon update being designed for the current Windows Feature Update... :?:

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

That is certainly a possibility. Glad to read that it appears to be sticking for you now.

Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:13 pm 

Funny thing is that I have one game, Yahtzee, that I don't want full panel and haven't been able to get it to back to 'square' again. I'll get it and not a big deal. It is just that dice look sort of odd as rectangles. :mrgreen: All in all I'm quite pleased with how things have worked out. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware