Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: Router drops wireless
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:54 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I have never found an actual answer to this in twenty years.

Now and then my router will drop wireless. I've had Linksys, D-Link and currently Belkin routers. In all cases they have periodically dropped wireless with the Linksys being the worst.

Since it is current I will go with the Belkin...
  1. Router's firmware is up to date.
  2. Wireless adapters are up to date on all systems as to drivers.
  3. Wireless adapters on all systems are set, under Properties/Power Management to NOT allow the system to turn off the device to save power.
  4. Router is set to reboot every day at 4:00AM mainly a security thing.
  5. Dropping wireless does not affect wired connections.
  6. Resetting the router always solves.
  7. Router settings are NOT default using a different SID and password.

There is just nothing to it that has any consistency. It may go two months without dropping wireless or, like today, drop multiple times in a day.

Since my desktops are both wired there is never an issue there, just with wireless devices.

Is this just something that is going to happen with wireless or is there a way to prevent the dropping? Really not a big issue but would be nice to solve.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:56 pm 
welcoming committee

Might be interference causing the drop.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:24 am 
Site Admin

I have to agree with interference as the most likely cause. Is your router a dual band with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands? If yes, do both networks drop? What protocol are you connecting with - 802.11g, ac, ax, n or b? or How many SSIDs do you see when scanning for networks within your home?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:04 pm 

The router is dual link but I don't really use the 5GHz. so can't say if it drops. If I check for connections there are 20 with three being mine. Other than my normal connection I have the 5GHz. setup and also a 'guest' connection like what you would have in a fast food place. All 3 use unique SSIDs. The wireless mode is 802.11 b/g/n for the 2.4GHz. and 802.11n/ac for the 5GHz.. Should not be anything in my walls causing interference as they are drywall, no plaster or lath, and no real angles. The only electronics REAL close to the router are a Yamaha sound system and a TV.

I have trouble with it being interference as it has been happening for over 20 years with 3 different makes of router and in 3 different arrangements and 3 different residences. :dunno:

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

I would try using the 5GHz connection to see if that's better. It is strange that you've had the problem in 3 different residences and multiple routers, but the most likely culprit is still interference of some sort. Does anyone connect to your Guest network? If not, I'd turn that off, although it isn't likely to be the source of the issue. An open Guest network, though isolated from your network and only offering up your Internet connection, is a security concern.
As for interference, I am not thinking environmental factors like walls, but rather electrical in nature. That's harder to isolate unless you can pin down a specific time that the problem happens and some electrical device was always active at the same time.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:31 pm 

Sadly two devices are not able to do 5GHz. or, if they are, I've never found a way to enable.

Ya, I probably should kill the guest connection as it hasn't been used in years. If I ever need it again it is a matter of seconds to enable again. Since I can't use it on all devices mayhaps I should also kill the 5GHz.. Shoot, I'm not even sure if I can use the 5GHz. in the same way as the 2.4GHz. as the 5GHz. is really designed as a media server, probably can.

LOL! I've never claimed that networking was my strong point. :mrgreen: :rofl2:

<edit>
Dang, the main problem system is actually a neighbor's; little old lady about 85 that I let use my wireless. I went over to be sure that her wireless adapter was set to never turn off and found that she is actually using a Chromebook with Chrome OS. No clue as to what is what with the thing. I'll have to dig through and search for what settings are actually available.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

I can't help on the Chromebook, but I can tell you that there's no good reason to disable the 5GHz network -- just use it for the devices that can use it. That will lessen traffic on the 2.4 frequency side.
One other thought is that a misbehaving device can be taking down the wireless if it is overloading the connection, preventing all other traffic from getting through. That's also hard to identify...

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:03 pm 

sboots wrote:
.... but I can tell you that there's no good reason to disable the 5GHz network -- just use it for the devices that can use it. That will lessen traffic on the 2.4 frequency side. ....

Hmmm, interesting thought. I'll enable 5GHz. again and try to connect my Surface 3, Macbook Air and Android tablet to that connection. I didn't actually totally kill the 5GHz., just disabled so the settings are still there.

Another hmmm, While my 2.4GHz. and my 5GHz. use unique SSIDs they do use the same password. I'm not sure that I can see why it would but could that cause a conflict?

I have also decided to boot one of my wireless devices the next time my neighbor loses Internet to see if my device still has a proper connection. I figure that will isolate the issue to either the router or the Chromebook. Unless I'm using my Surface or MacBook they are powered down I believe that the Chromebook is pretty much always on. Also will try to get her to reboot the next time connection is lost to see if it comes back. If it does I would suspect that the Chromebook is turning off the wireless adapter.

I MUST apologize as some of the stuff I said above that I will try should have already been done before I posted the question. Just didn't think of them until after I posted.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:47 am 
Site Admin

The same password on both bands won't be an issue.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:11 pm 

sboots wrote:
The same password on both bands won't be an issue.

Thanks Steve. I really didn't think it would. ;)

LOL! I never wanted wireless to drop before but now I do. I want to check my wireless on my Surface and MacBook Air when my neighbor's Chromebook drops out to be sure that it is an issue with router and not the Chromebook. I doubt that it is the Chromebook as rebooting the router fixes but want to rule it out. Problem is that it may be a month or more before it drops again.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

It really could be a Chromebook issue if no other devices lose connectivity. Rebooting your router drops all connections, so the Chromebook would have to reconnect. If the Chromebook is connected, but "stuck" with no activity, once it loses the connection due to the reboot of the router, it establishes a new connection.
I'll be interested in hearing the status of all your connected devices when she next reports a problem before you reboot your router. :-)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:24 pm 

One thing I can say about my connected devices is that the ones that are wired never lose connection.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:57 pm 

As an add-on, if she loses wireless connection and I don't, I want to see what happens if she reboots. If rebooting brings back the connection I would assume that her system is turning off the wireless adapter. I ALWAYS disable Window's ability to turn off an adapter to save power but since she has a Chromebook.....

I hate these types of issues that are totally random. Makes it hard to troubleshoot when you can't duplicate the issue when you want.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:47 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
I hate these types of issues that are totally random. Makes it hard to troubleshoot when you can't duplicate the issue when you want.

Absolutely!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:43 pm 

sboots wrote:
jaylach wrote:

Absolutely!

LOL! The biggest problem I have is remembering what I was going to try when the issue does come back. :mrgreen: :rofl2:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:30 pm 

Sadly I guess that we will never know if the neighbor's Chromebook was at fault as to the dropped wireless. The lady died last night. Makes me sad, she was a really sweet old lady. :(

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, that is sad. :-( May she rest in peace.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:42 am 

I'm so sorry to hear that Jay, I hope she didn't suffer. May she rest in peace. :cry:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:07 pm 

Oh, it's OK. After all death is just another part of life. When you live in senior housing (55 and over) you have to expect that some people are going to die. I'm just a little down as the entire family have become friends.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware