Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: Kodak Printer
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:15 am 
welcoming committee

I have a Kodak Printer, it is connected, installed, works fine in every respect except one. Whenever I reboot my computer, a window opens saying that it has found new hardware.........namely my Kodak Printer and it opens a window to install the drivers and what not for the Kodak Printer. There are two options, "next" and "cancel". Clicking on next goes through the normal process of doing an install but when completed, the printer no longer works and has to be uninstalled and then I have to dig out the CD and install it all over again. Clicking on "cancel" closes the window and then I get a notice on the bottom tool bar that the printer installed correctly and is ready for use and the printer works as it did in the first place.

There are several sites on the net that say to do the following to fix this:

Click the "Start" button. then click the "Devices and Printers" option.
Right-click on your "Kodak" printer, then click the "Properties" option.
Click the "Advanced" tab, then click the "Printer Preferences" button.
Click the "Disable Kodak Status Monitor" check box, then click the "OK" button to apply the changes and close the window.

The only problem with this is that there is no "Disable Kodak Staus Monitor" check box under printer preferences on this Windows 7 Pro computer.

Attachments:
kodak1.jpg
kodak1.jpg [ 35.68 KiB | Viewed 4814 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Kodak Printer
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:34 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Can't say much without the printer's model number but...

Of course from the above give us the model number. ;) Just noticed that the model is in the screen shot.

Here is a link to the latest drivers and software for your printer. There is not a download for your specific printer. It has 5210 to 5250. Since printer software and drivers usually go by series either package would probably work as your printer would fall under the 5200 series as would the 5210 and 5250. I'm not at all surprised that both models go to the same software and driver page. I also would not be surprised if the screen shot is showing a series number not the actual model number and the printer you have is either a 5210 or 5250.

http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17138/selected/true

Anyway, uninstall everything Kodak and install the above package. It is new, was released July 17th of this year. No promises but I'll be a little surprised if it does not help. MAKE SURE that the printer is NOT connected during the install!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:45 am 
welcoming committee

I have done what you suggested before but that latest version is what it is trying to install and it does not work. The only thing that works is the install CD that came with the printer. As I said before, the printer works fine, prints, scans, tells me when the ink is low, it does everything I want. What I need is a way to stop Kodak from trying to update it. I think they got me on speed dial !!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:15 pm 
Fearless Leader

What operating system?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:46 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
What operating system?

Hi Ms MacDuffie......it is Windows 7 Pro. Less than 5 minutes ago I decided to let Kodak run that update again just to see if anything had changed. It was a fairly lengthy process and I noticed that it seemed to be doing everything twice because it listed the item and then listed the same thing with a (2) after it. Don't have a clue what that was all about. Anyway, it eventually got to a pop up that said "allow Kodak to advise of new updates" or something to that effect and I checked No.(I had not done that before) It also added some icons to my desktop (links to other software that I don't want) When it was all done, I had to do a restart and it did not have that window I am trying to get rid of but went on for a few more minutes and finally said it was finished. I rebooted again and NO POP UP :rofl2: I was almost afraid to try the printer but it worked. So my thanks to Jay for nudging me into giving this all a try again.

Edit: I just noticed that when I click on all programs and go to Kodak, the "Status Monitor" is listed but is disabled. That was the main thing that was shown on several sites as what to do to stop that pop up I was getting.

Attachments:
statusmonitor.jpg
statusmonitor.jpg [ 31.32 KiB | Viewed 4794 times ]

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware