Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post subject: Re: HP Envy 7640 Printer
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:02 am 
Fearless Leader

Alright, Jim. I just posted a new thread on connectivity issues. I believe that your machine is going to sleep, or hibernation, between times that you print. Might this be the case? If so, I'm thinking it is an issue of a driver not coming out of sleep mode. I think you say that rebooting the machine brings it back. Next time just try logging off and logging back on again. See if that brings it back. The way you do that now is click on Start, click on your picture up at the top of the left side of start menu, then click sign out. Then sign back in. See if that handles it. We may need to set your machine so that it doesn't go into sleep mode.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:06 am 
welcoming committee

Patty: Tried that, but its still the same except a box pops up on the lower right of my screen that says "Printer Is In An Error State" and it lists the printer in lighter text. Jim

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:58 pm 
Fearless Leader

But rebooting does clear the error, right?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:19 pm 
welcoming committee

YEP!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:21 pm 
Fearless Leader

I can't find a setting in Windows to enable/disable the printer from going to sleep. Perhaps there is something in your printer's settings?

To confirm this, Jim, print something. Then do other things for 10 minutes or so. Don't let the computer go to sleep. Then print again and see if it prints. I'm not sure if it is the printer going to sleep, or the computer going to sleep that is causing the problem. Let's see if we can narrow it down.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:00 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
MacDuffie wrote:
I can't find a setting in Windows to enable/disable the printer from going to sleep. Perhaps there is something in your printer's settings?

You would not look at the printer for the power setting. You would under Properties for the wireless adaptor. It has become a habit for me to always uncheck the box that allows Windows to shut off the wireless adaptor to conserve energy since Windows Vista. If this proves to be the case I also believe it to be a driver issue.

Just out of curiosity has the printer been connected via USB to see if the issue persists? It would take another install of the printer selecting USB but might help show that it is not a printer issue.

It may also be possible that if you were to go to the HP support site there may be a firmware update. This would be a last resort in my opinion. I hate doing firmware updates. I'm always afraid that if the update fails the device is probably fried.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:25 pm 
Fearless Leader

Jim, haven't heard from you on my last post, but I just had it happen again. Went through the troubleshooter to same results - none. Checked the adapter settings, and sure enough, it was checked to let Windows shut down the device to save power. (I never used to have this checked.) So I unchecked it and rebooted. I don't expect it to happen again, but I'll let you know if it does. You need to do this procedure too. Here are the steps.

1. Right-click your network connection icon in the notification area (lower right). That would be your wireless icon. From the menu click Open Network and Sharing Center.

2. In the left pane, click on Change adapter settings. This brings up all of your various network adapters.

3. Right-click on your wireless network adapter and choose Properties.

4. Up a the top you will see "Connect using:" and then a text box with the name of your wireless adapter. Just below that tex t box, to the right, you'll see a button that says Configure. Click on that.

5. That brings up a property sheet with several tabs. The last tab is called Power Management. Click on that.

6. You will see the checkbox that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Uncheck that box.

7. Click OK. Close the other Windows. I don't know if you need to reboot or not, but I would, just to be sure.

Let us know if this resolves your issue.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Patty: Sorry I'm late posting, but I,ve tried almost everything including USB, Ethernet and wireless including the unticking you suggested in sharing center. Nothing seems to help. All the test printouts show the printer connected, however when I go on "devices and printers" in control panel the printer shows "not connected". Even the touch panel on the printer shows "connected". I even went sofar as to purchase another of the hp7640 referb printer. Same Crap!. If you know of anyone in need of a referb printer that is pristine they can have it gratis. All they need to do is pick it up. Anyway I guess the "GEEK SQUAD" is in my future. HP support is useless. Thanks for all your help and advice. I've come to like the windows10 but cant handle something as simple as installing a printer that should be 1-2-3 and not 7-8-9-10. Jim

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:01 pm 
Fearless Leader

Not sure when you last visited the driver page, but this shows the most recent software as Dec 6.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/sel ... C11TA930C7

Just in case you don't have this version.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Patty: I finally found a combination that works (even tho it shouldnt!). I hooked the printer with a usb. The printer still shows the wireless indicator light and I can print wirelessly from both laptops, and I can print from the desktop to the printer via usb. This is absolutely nuts. Jim

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks