Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:12 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi all, I'm not sure if this can be fixed. I had purchased a Netgear router maybe 8 mos ago (NetGear Model WNDR3700v4, N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router). My laptop is SO slow loading sites & my charter speed shows it's ok so thought maybe someone was able to get in and use my wifi so went to the IP address website for Netgear, changed my password there and wham! no more internet connection. I don't why this happened; I had changed it when I first got it so it would be different than what was posted on the side of the router itself, and this didn't happen. so after trying whatever for 3 hrs I just switched to Ethernet for 'any' connection; had to contact Charter to send me a new signal for IP.

But is there any way to eliminate what was already set up with this router so I can try to go back to square one and reinstall it? I'd be using the same login info that is printed on the router but I don't know what else to do.

Also, does anyone know why I would totally lose internet access just changing my password on the IP address website? There was no warning on the website that this might happen. I found the method on the Netgear forum; it's the same method I used the first time I changed it. This is it:
1. Open a browser. (Use either Internet Explorer or Firefox for best compatibility).
2. Type 192.168.1.1, routerlogin.com or routerlogin.net in the Address Bar and hit Enter.
3. In the Login window type admin and password in the username and password fields and hit Enter.
4. When the router's GUI opens look in the left pane for something like Maintenance->Set Password.
5. Enter password for old password.
6. Enter the new password and repeat it.
7. Make sure to write down the password and keep it in a safe place.

I hope someone can help me salvage this router :( Thanks! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:24 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't use or really like netgear. My personal preference is D-Link. That said I don't know if I can help but would, if it were me, try looking at available connections and selecting yours. Once selected you should be asked for a password. Enter in your new password.

LOL! I'm either right on with the above or totally off. We shall see. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Good point Jay but mine is set up to 'automatically connect'. I'll need to set up this Ethernet connection on my other machine and then re-set up the router on this Win 8 machine and see if there is a way to change 'auto connect' to 'manual connect'. This will definitely take me to mid or late tomorrow so I will respond back when I find where to change that in W8. Things take me a lot longer to troubleshoot in this OS. thanks much Jay! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:01 pm 
Fearless Leader

There's a reset switch on every router. Usually a recessed button in the back that you hold for 5-10 seconds. Make sure it is powered when you do this. Watch the lights. They should do something different, like all going off momentarily except the power light. It then goes back to its default settings.

Sounds like you didn't change the password to the router, but rather the encryption password.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

http://support.netgear.com/product/WNDR3700v4#wrapper

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25024 -- this resets the router to factory default.

Then, setup the router as desired. On any device that was connecting to the router, delete the saved WiFi connection and recreate it.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:57 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks Patty, yes there is a button back to reset but I was afraid it would reset to no password at all and then I'd not even get into the IP website either. Since you said it resets to default, this makes me more comfortable doing that, thanks much! Yes, it must've been encryption password (it was titled passphrase). As you can tell, I'm no pro at this stuff lol.
Thanks for the link Steve, this should help a lot!

I was thinking that since I changed it on the User Interface that maybe there was a place in W8 where I need to make the same change, is 'that' possible? that there might be a place in the control panel where I should have made the same change? I don't 'remember' doing this the last time but my memory doesn't go back that far.

Thanks again!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:29 am 
Fearless Leader

Yes, "passphrase" does refer to the encryption password. You could simply change it in Windows and not have to do the reset.

In Search, search for Network and Sharing Center, or go directly into Control Panel and find it there. I'm not on a wireless pc right now, so not sure where to tell you to change the passphrase.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:52 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks Patty for the info! Next time I'll try that (and there WILL be a next time I'm sure). I ended up downloading the Netgear Genie (didn't need it when first installed the router) and with that and rebooting the charter box got the connection done. The Genie is really slick! Had to enable/disable in network sharing center, hard to remember what I changed to use Ethernet, but as long as it works now. Also, on the IP website there was a notification that there was a new firmware version so I downloaded/installed that, maybe that will improve my page loading.

Also, on a web speed test, does 'download speed' refer to speed of loading a web page? and I just did another Charter speed test and Genie alerted 'high traffic' on the connection graph at the beginning of the download speed. Maybe this is a Charter question but thought I'd ask in case anyone might know. Is it possible my speed is just low for the amount of traffic that is happening these days?

Thanks all for your awesome help!!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks