Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post subject: WIFI management
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:52 pm 
welcoming committee

I have a teenage at home and would like to know if I can turn off WIFI on his laptop and leave it on on other computers ?

Post subject: Re: WIFI management
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:57 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Yes you can.

On the laptop there should be a button or switch to physically turn off W--Fi but I doubt that is what you mean.

What I figure that you actually want is to deny access to your Wi-Fi. If correct the solution is as simple as protecting the Wi-Fi from the router with a password and just not letting teenager know the password. Of course you would have to now enter the password for the computers that you want to allow connection but that can be set to remember so is only once needed.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

SolidIron wrote:
I have a teenage at home and would like to know if I can turn off WIFI on his laptop and leave it on on other computers ?

A more complicated solution, though probably more appropriate is to go into your wireless router's settings and enable MAC address filtering. Every device has a hardware MAC address. Using this feature, you can add all of your allowed devices to the list, including the teenager's computer. When you wish to block the teenager's access, you remove that MAC address from the allowed list.

You'll need to determine the MAC address for every device and you'll need to secure your router.

Some routers include additional features to restrict and allow access. You may also want to look into Parental Controls that provide the ability to set limits on Internet access on a per user basis.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for reply. sboots reply was more helpful though. I have a follow-up question. Are there any automated wireless MAC filter programs that I can use to automate the time when to filter MAC addresses ?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:25 am 
Site Admin

You're welcome. Not software, but hardware. Filtering beyond just a strict block/allow by MAC address would be a feature available in some routers.

Have a look at this one, for example: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Gig ... b_title_ce

The documentation can be found here: http://support.netgear.com/product/WNDR4300

-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks