Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: My location in the world
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:57 pm 
welcoming committee

When I am in MS Edge and do a Bing search and then go to one of the suggestions, I often find that I am on an English site, not the American home page of the organization.
I was reading info on the Alzheimer's web site and felt it was strange that I was seeing things about differences in Northern Ireland etc.
Now when I check my weather it knows where I am and my language is set for English (American)
I have seen the same behavior with Amazon.
Is there something I have set incorrectly? or is this normal?

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:02 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Nothing abnormal at all. When I search something I often skip the first result page as they are almost paid listings that often have nothing to do with the query.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:23 pm 
welcoming committee

BillG wrote:
When I am in MS Edge and do a Bing search and then go to one of the suggestions, I often find that I am on an English site, not the American home page of the organization.
I was reading info on the Alzheimer's web site and felt it was strange that I was seeing things about differences in Northern Ireland etc.
Now when I check my weather it knows where I am and my language is set for English (American)
I have seen the same behavior with Amazon.
Is there something I have set incorrectly? or is this normal?

Perhaps I should have said British site. And I am not picking the first site listed. I often take the site logo in the right side of the page. Or is that Copilot?

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:47 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I understood that you meant British. Personally I'd switch to Firefox as Edge is getting really intrusive at least in Windows 11. In Firefox the AI search still comes up on the right but at least Copilot isn't bugging me all the time.

If you get the same right side as I do in Firefox that is the AI chat search. It will usually mimic the top listed result which is almost always a sponsored result that has been paid for.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:03 pm 
welcoming committee

I don't know how useful this will be because i don't have Edge installed on my Win7 setup and i don't use Bing as my search engine but i can set my browser (Firefox) to use Bing as the search engine and this is what i find:

Top right of the Bing homepage are 4 small horizontal lines just across from the 'Sign in' option where you can change various settings.
Click on the four horizontal lines -> select Settings -> Country/Region and choose your desired location as the default... in your case it sounds like you might be set for United Kingdom instead of United States so i'd check there first and see how you get on.

As stated i don't have Edge installed so can't replicate your issue but i thought i'd throw it out here because it seems a simple and maybe obvious thing to check in case you hadn't already checked there.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:33 am 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:
I don't know how useful this will be because i don't have Edge installed on my Win7 setup and i don't use Bing as my search engine but i can set my browser (Firefox) to use Bing as the search engine and this is what i find:

Top right of the Bing homepage are 4 small horizontal lines just across from the 'Sign in' option where you can change various settings.
Click on the four horizontal lines -> select Settings -> Country/Region and choose your desired location as the default... in your case it sounds like you might be set for United Kingdom instead of United States so i'd check there first and see how you get on.

As stated i don't have Edge installed so can't replicate your issue but i thought i'd throw it out here because it seems a simple and maybe obvious thing to check in case you hadn't already checked there.

Thanks for that suggestion but I already have that set correctly. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

William A. Gustafson

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:40 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I understood that you meant British. Personally I'd switch to Firefox as Edge is getting really intrusive at least in Windows 11. In Firefox the AI search still comes up on the right but at least Copilot isn't bugging me all the time.

If you get the same right side as I do in Firefox that is the AI chat search. It will usually mimic the top listed result which is almost always a sponsored result that has been paid for.

Tried Firefox a long time ago and just did not care for it. It did not seem to do what I wanted to.
As for Copilot, it is very easy to turn off as a option it you do not care for it.
I have been a loyal user of Bing ever since its inception. I particularly like the daily picture.
Thanks for the suggestion.

William A. Gustafson

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email