Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:33 pm 
welcoming committee

In Windows 8.1, Microsoft Outlook 2010 has a button under Email Account Settings that reads "Change Folders" (or similar), and clicking on that, one can change where Outlook saves the .pst file. In my case, it is to another partition where I keep all of my data, and it works perfectly in 8.1.

The same Outlook installed in the Windows 10 tech preview does not have that button, so I can't change the location of my .pst file. I can open my 8.1 .pst file in Outlook on Windows 10 and read and send emails there, but incoming emails go to the new .pst files Outlook created in Windows 10.

There must be a work-around somewhere, but darned if I can find it. Any ideas here?
Gerry

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

The workaround is to go to Account Settings (under the file button) and the Data Files tab. Add the PST file you wish to use and set is as default. Restart Outlook and then go back to the same Data Files tab and remove the PST file that you no longer want to use, if desired.

-steve

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:42 pm 
Fearless Leader

Just a warning. Sharing Outlook files across operating systems was the primary cause of data corruption I ran across in data sharing to different OS'es.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:45 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
MacDuffie wrote:
Just a warning. Sharing Outlook files across operating systems was the primary cause of data corruption I ran across in data sharing to different OS'es.

This IS one of the reasons why I use Live Mail instead of Outlook.

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:21 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
The workaround is to go to Account Settings (under the file button) and the Data Files tab. Add the PST file you wish to use and set is as default. Restart Outlook and then go back to the same Data Files tab and remove the PST file that you no longer want to use, if desired.

-steve

Steve, I've made my 8.1 data file the default on the Data Files tab in Win 10 and deleted the other two data files I had there. All of my 8.1 files and folders are showing in the Home part of Outlook, but in Account Settings/E-Mail tab, only my Hotmail account is showing. Consequently when I send an email from my Outlook inbox, nothing is seen in the Outbox and the email doesn't appear in my inbox nor in the Hotmail inbox. It's nowhere to be found! I'm going to break for dinner soon, but will continue with this mystery later.
Gerry

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:41 pm 
welcoming committee

P.S. I just opened Outlook in 8.1 and there were the test messages that I sent from 10. They must have gone immediately when I hit the send button, but they did not come into my inbox on Windows 10.
Gerry

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:48 am 
Site Admin

It sounds like your other accounts in Outlook on Windows 10 need to be set up again and pointed to the .PST files.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:59 pm 
welcoming committee

That's the problem, Steve. There is no button showing "Change folders" under the Account Settings , E-Mail tab as there is in Windows 8.1, so there is no way to point the two email accounts that I use to the .PST file that holds them. I have just opened Outlook in Windows 10 and the only emails that download to it are from my Hotmail account since that's the only account showing in Outlook's Account Settings, E-Mail tab. The .PST file that I want is shown as the default location on the Data Files tab with Hotmail under it.
Gerry

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Your Hotmail account needs its own PST file as it uses Exchange ActiveSync. You should now add a data file for the other 2 accounts, which I assume are POP -- either select an existing one that is on the PC in a folder of your choosing or create a new one in the folder of your choosing. Once you add the data file, you should be able to specify that this is the PST you want your POP accounts to be delivered to.
Your Hotmail account has become the default account in Outlook 2010 for Contacts, Calendar and Mail (new message will default to Hotmail). If you're good with that, then set up the PST for your POP accounts, but don't make either account default.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, at long last I've solved the problem. I had not checked the little box allowing manual entry of the parameters, which then allowed me to browse to the .PST file that I want to use. Before it set up new .PST files for each account and I could find no way to change that. All systems are now go! Thanks very much for your always dependable and excellent guidance.
Gerry

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Great news, Gerry. :-) You are most welcome.

-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email