Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

More information here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outl ... eac9fa83bd

Particularly disconcerting is this:
Since my account was updated to the Outlook.com Preview, I can access my email on a web browser, but I can’t get to my email from an email client application.
When your account receives the Outlook.com Preview, you can access your email through any web browser, the Outlook for iOS and Android apps for mobile devices, and Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013, or Outlook 2016 desktop applications for PC and Mac.
Customers who wish to access their email through the MSN email client, Windows Live Mail or older versions of Outlook desktop applications may not be able to sync their email. The MSN email client and Windows Live Mail application will be updated in future weeks to support Outlook.com Preview accounts.

Interesting to note that you cannot opt in, nor can you roll back.

There's a forum area for this here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outl ... ab=Threads

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:05 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks a bunch, Steve, I appreciate the persistence.
Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:02 pm 
welcoming committee

Update. Now whenever I go to my Hotmail using IE, the "Preview" has been removed, it simply says "Outlook Mail". But when using Firefox, it still says Outlook Mail (Preview) and is still pathetically slow. :mad3:

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:14 pm 
Fearless Leader

I wonder, Acadia, if it has anything to do with your security programs. Like Sandboxie, for instance. That's a shot in the dark, but Hotmail is ad-driven, and I have a paid account so I don't get those. I don't know how much that slows things down. Also, if you are sandboxed, might it not have trouble with needing to use cookies? Not sure. You are in Windows 7, or 10? If in 10, you could try Edge. It is a sandboxed app, and you could (if you felt so inclined) give it a whirl without Sandboxie. I don't know what other Add-ons you have to IE, I keep mine to an absolute minimum. Norton, for instance, might be a killer.

Another thing to look at is in Internet Options, what level are you set at for Privacy and Security. Do you wipe out cookies and history between uses of the browser, things like that.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:02 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
I wonder, Acadia, if it has anything to do with your security programs. Like Sandboxie, for instance. That's a shot in the dark, but Hotmail is ad-driven, and I have a paid account so I don't get those. I don't know how much that slows things down. Also, if you are sandboxed, might it not have trouble with needing to use cookies? Not sure. You are in Windows 7, or 10? If in 10, you could try Edge. It is a sandboxed app, and you could (if you felt so inclined) give it a whirl without Sandboxie. I don't know what other Add-ons you have to IE, I keep mine to an absolute minimum. Norton, for instance, might be a killer.

Another thing to look at is in Internet Options, what level are you set at for Privacy and Security. Do you wipe out cookies and history between uses of the browser, things like that.

Hmmm, interesting, this morning the "Preview" has also disappeared from Firefox, but it is still slow. I use both IE and FF in Sandboxie. I am still using Win7 so do not have access to Edge. Good to hear that Microsoft is getting into REAL sandboxing. I played around with allowing cookies and ads but the slowness remained, and I did this WITHOUT opening FF inside of Sandboxie. Do I use Norton? You're joking, right?
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:50 am 
welcoming committee

Just a comment here. I have the same security setup as Acadia, plus two addition programs. I use Sandboxie all the time and don't see slowdown. Only browser I use is FF, and in FF I use No script. Again no slowdown other than to kill scripts.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:23 pm 

I'll have to go over this thread again and take more notice. A while ago I installed an update that was to do with using Windows Live Mail and my email accounts.

I've had a Hotmail account for years, the free version, I still kept it even after some upgrade that happened years ago. I also have an Outlook account as well, another free one, I've been sending and receiving email with both in Windows Live Mail without any problems.

I can't remember just when it happened but I've noticed that I no longer get any mail in my Hotmail account, it still arrives in Outlook OK and seeing this thread made me think I ought to try and sort it out. I never read email via a browser and even though I have a subscription to Office 365 or 2016 whatever it's called I'm not that keen on the Outlook email client so don't use it.

Got to go for now but will be back to go through this thread again.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Just a comment here. I have the same security setup as Acadia, plus two addition programs. I use Sandboxie all the time and don't see slowdown. Only browser I use is FF, and in FF I use No script. Again no slowdown other than to kill scripts.

But Peter, do you use a Hotmail account, err, I guess now called Outlook account? I know your main email but is not a Microsoft account. Sandboxie has NEVER slowed me down with anything and I still question whether this is a Sandboxie issue or a Microsoft issue. Fact is, others on the Net are complaining about this and I wonder how many of them use Sandboxie? But that's OK, I am willing to ride this one out until it gets fixed, or use IE to read my Hotmail, er, Outlook mail, inside Sandboxie of course, still to this day my all-time-favorite security program.

Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:55 pm 
Fearless Leader

It may well not be Sandboxie, Acadia. Just throwing things out there. Could be other security things. Could very well be add-ons. If you go into Manage Add-ons in IE, do you see any likely looking culprits? You can disable them in the manage Add-on interface without uninstalling, so you could try disabling them all, then if it makes a difference, add them back one at a time till the problem reappears. You could also do the same with background programs via msconfig. Just standard troubleshooting techniques.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:27 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
It may well not be Sandboxie, Acadia. Just throwing things out there. Could be other security things. Could very well be add-ons. If you go into Manage Add-ons in IE, do you see any likely looking culprits? You can disable them in the manage Add-on interface without uninstalling, so you could try disabling them all, then if it makes a difference, add them back one at a time till the problem reappears. You could also do the same with background programs via msconfig. Just standard troubleshooting techniques.

Patty, you've really got me scratching my head over this one. I have NO Add-ons in IE but I believe that is not the issue: IE works just fine with Outlook Mail even inside of Sandboxie.

Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:10 am 
welcoming committee

AAAAAHHHHH!! Now the "Preview" is back on Firefox but not IE, Microsoft, you win, I give up, I surrender! What do you want from me? :omg:
Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:17 pm 
Fearless Leader

Acadia wrote:
Patty, you've really got me scratching my head over this one. I have NO Add-ons in IE but I believe that is not the issue: IE works just fine with Outlook Mail even inside of Sandboxie.

And you've got me scratching mine! If IE works fine with Outlook Mail even inside Sandboxie - what are we doing on this thread?!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:00 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
And you've got me scratching mine! If IE works fine with Outlook Mail even inside Sandboxie - what are we doing on this thread?!

MY BAD!! I failed to mention in the beginning post of this thread that this was all inside of Firefox. :oops2:

Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hmmm, I could be wrong but I would think that, if it is fine in IE but not Firefox, this would tend to indicate that the issue is with something in Firefox.

I would have to recommend that all add-ons in Firefox be disabled to see if the issue persists. If not then re-enable each add-on one at a time to see if the issue comes back. If it does you found a problem add-on. The reason that I say 'if it does' as in the issue coming back is due to the possibility that just disabling and then re-enabling an add-on can possibly reset things resolving a problem. Of course a real test of this aspect would involve actually uninstalling each add-on and re-installing one at a time but that would be a LOT more time consuming depending on how many add-ons you have. Of course, if you also have no add-ons in FF then totally disregard everything I just said. :mrgreen: I DO believe that you, at least, have no-script.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:49 am 
Fearless Leader

Acadia wrote:
MY BAD!! I failed to mention in the beginning post of this thread that this was all inside of Firefox. :oops2:

Acadia

:lol: Well it happens sometimes. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:19 am 

I have recently noticed something with Hotmail that MAY relate to Acadia's issue...

I tend to leave my main system on 24/7 mayhaps doing a restart once or twice a week to clear things out. When I do a restart I am finding that it will take a LONG time for Live Mail to initially connect to my Hotmail account, sometimes 1-2 minutes. Once the initial contact is made there is no issue but this extreme time lag happens every time I restart my system.

Any time after the initial restart Hotmail responds just as fast as can be. Mayhaps someone with more knowledge can use this info to give further advice. If Acadia were using an actual client instead of web based I'd think to look at if the account were set up with POP3 or IMAP. I just do not know if this could be a factor with web based.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:57 pm 
welcoming committee

Ok, interesting stuff here, I just hope I can explain all of this simply, after all, we all know how simple these computer thingies are. :rofl2: I also apologize for what is almost certain to be a lengthy post.

First a refresher of what is happening to me so you would not need to read thru this entire thread. To begin with, none of this is critical, my pc life does not depend on it. I have two Hotmail accounts, er, Outlook, whatever they are called these days. These are NOT used in an email client, only on the web. I am still using Windows 7. Both email accounts work just fine in IE, super fast. In Firefox they are painfully slow. This occurs whether or not I have them sandboxed in Sandboxie or not, the results are always the same for both browsers: IE=fast, FF=slow, whether or not sandboxed. Also, in IE, Outlook Mail is called just that, Outlook Mail. In FF, it is called Outlook Mail (Preview).

Today, while waiting for the umpteenth contractor to come to our new home, I decided to have some fun and really try to figure this thing out. (Of course I made backups before messing with this). I entered Firefox without being sandboxed so everything that I did would be saved. I allowed all Microsoft cookies to be saved, there were a lot: Bing, Outlook, Live, Msn. Bingo, both of my Outlook accounts on Firefox now simply said, Outlook Mail, the Preview had been lost, I even rebooted to make sure. But this raises a VERY interesting question: Why does IE work without those cookies and Firefox need to have them in order to not be Preview?

More "simple" stuff. My one Outlook account in Firefox is now just as fast as if it were in IE. The other is still painfully slow, even though it no longer has the Preview. My guess is Microsoft servers. With literally hundreds of millions of us using Hotmail, er Outlook, Microsoft obviously must have many, many servers. With my limited knowledge of such stuff, I don't see any other explanation: my two accounts are on two different servers. They are on the same computer with the same everything; that's got to be the answer, I think? :dunno:

Anyway, as side notes, I also completely turned off my Firefox ad blocker, it made absolutely no difference either way. @Jay: I have No Script installed on Firefox but I never use it, it is always turned off, so that never enters the picture.

If you have read thru this entire post, thanks,
Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:09 pm 

It is quite possible that IE also got the cookies but you did not see it happening.

Staying with cookies, and now one account being fast on FF and the other slow, I have to wonder if there could possibly be a conflict with the cookies.

Just throwing a couple of things out there for others with more knowledge than I to give comment.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:12 pm 
Fearless Leader

I don't see that it would be a server issue at all. It is a firefox issue. (Both accounts are fine in IE.)

Are these both outlook.com email addresses, or is one Hotmail.com? Have you done the same thing with account 2 that fixed account 1?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:16 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
I don't see that it would be a server issue at all. ... (Both accounts are fine in IE.)

Duh, that does make sense, if it were a server then I would be experiencing the same thing with IE.

I use the exact same url for both, same bookmark, it is login.live.com/etc... Even though I have allowed all MS related cookies, oh yes and I realize that I did have to kill the adblocker, would two different sets of cookies be created for the two different accounts?
Acadia

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:01 am 
Fearless Leader

Yes, of course.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:57 pm 

I see you've had your hair cut Patty, looking good. :-)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:02 pm 
Fearless Leader

Thank you, my dear. I am loving it !

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:48 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
... I am loving it !

But the hair stylist cut off the tops of those precious Vulcan ears! Boooooooo... :tdown:
Acadia

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:56 pm 
Fearless Leader

The ears were getting a little long in the... ahem... ears! ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email