Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:07 pm 
Fearless Leader

But Jay, service packs have nothing to do with UI changes. A service pack, initially was simply a rollup of all patches since the release of the OS, or since the prior service pack, so if you had to reinstall Windows, you then just installed the service pack instead of a gazillion patches.

Then one day, MS introduced some UI/OS improvements in a service pack; which was shocking and a complete break in their policy. I believe that was XP SP3, and as far as I recall it was the only time that ever happened.

User Interface changes and new OS features are the province of point releases. What has been being done with Windows 8 and 10, "Windows-as-a-service" is an entirely new paradigm that bears no resemblance to service packs, and only a small resemblance to point releases.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:24 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
@ Patty: OK, I stand corrected. :)

At Acadia: As to the question I know that you have no issues with Win 7. In your case my reference was to the email. Don't get me wrong, I can understand your not being happy. Personally I don't really care for any web based email which is why I use Live Mail. Anyway, my point is that, even though I can understand your not being happy, Microsoft really did nothing wrong. When you signed up for your email account you agreed to their terms and conditions. While not in the exact following language I can assure you that in those terms is/was the statement that the service could be changed or discontinued at any time at the discretion of Microsoft. Trust me in that I am not saying anything against your not being happy about the situation. I'm just saying that, according to the agreed terms, they were within their rights. Also one must remember that this is a free service. While this would not matter to you try connecting to Yahoo Mail with an email client such as Outlook, Thunderbird or Live Mail, isn't going to happen unless you pay them.

@ Everyone: I'm not trying to start heated discussions or arguments here, I'm really not. While I would suggest Windows if asked what platform I would advise I am not a Microsoft advocate. I look at Microsoft just like I do any other company with which I deal. If I buy a car and something goes wrong that is not covered by the warranty I cannot fault them for not covering as I agreed to the terms when I bought the car. Same thing with the Charter Cable service that I have. I pay for what I pay for. If there happens to be a show I want to watch that is not included in my package I would not even consider jumping on them due to my not being able to view.

For some reason Microsoft tends to be treated differently by the general public. It seems that somehow Microsoft is supposed to be different and cater to each and every individual regardless of the initial agreement. I'm not saying that Microsoft never messes up, of course they do as humans write the code and humans are not perfect. Name me a major company that has never had a recall...

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:46 pm 
Fearless Leader

:) Well it is fairly in the weeds, and something most people would neither know nor care about. LOL

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:07 pm 
welcoming committee

To answer a few questions.

Jay. Yes I know about agree to terms, and when I've installed windows 10, and agreed to the terms, I know what I have to live with. BUT.... Win I bought win 7 I agreed to those terms. What I didn't agree to at that time was to have Win 10 being foisted on me.

The funny part in all this was what Patty said about having the system corrupted by aborting an update she didn't know was going on. I've done that several times, because I lost patience with the whole thing. Booting back up, the update started over, no harm done.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:32 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

At Acadia: Also one must remember that this is a free service. While this would not matter to you try connecting to Yahoo Mail with an email client such as Outlook, Thunderbird or Live Mail, isn't going to happen unless you pay them.

[

Jay, you are right. Even if I did read every word of the acceptance for Hotmail, 10-12 years ago, I would have still needed to have been a lawyer to understand the protecting fine print. And of course I am supposed to remember this 10-12 years later. MS, at least at this point, is like any other company in my opinion, larger perhaps with more $ which makes them more powerful, but MS, at least in my opinion, is treating us all as $: "We expect you all to understand the fine print legal jargon no matter how uneducated you are."

Perhaps I am simply too naive as GG always tells me, but why the fine print from MS and many other companies? As Lao Tsu, the great sage who once said, and I am probably not remembering this quote correctly many years later, plus he, just like Jesus Christ, never spoke a word of English so who knows what the correct translation is,"When mankind loses sight of the Truth, that is when laws and rules begin to be written".
Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:21 pm 
Fearless Leader

If Lao Tsu didn't speak those words - he certainly should have! :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:23 pm 

@ Pete: I will agree with 10 being overly pushed especially as to the Update for Windows 7 (KB3035583)

If remembered when that update first came out I looked at the XML file and stated that the thing would end up being a nuisance. What really bothers me in this case is its apparent ability to 'un-hide' itself every 2-3 months. Unfortunately there is probably some sort of clause in the Win 7 terms that actually can be interpreted as to cover this. I don't know that for fact but there probably is.
viewtopic.php?p=9734#p9734

@ Acadia: I will also agree with your point Acadia. A long time ago you and another person would agree to a deal and shake hands... then lawyers arrived. Sometimes I wonder if they get together and make up terms and phrases that no one could possibly understand just to assure that they remain needed. In the 1950's one of my all time favorite authors, Robert Heinlein, wrote one of his many essays. One of his points in the essay 'Plain English Law'. This law would be simple and just state that any law passed that could not be easily understood in its entirety by an average citizen was automatically unconstitutional.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:27 pm 

Going retro and back to the original post all is still downloading to Live Mail just fine but........

There ARE some rather weird things involved. Mainly this site (these forums) cannot seem to be any longer set as a 'safe sender'. While I still get the email notifications as to new posts but they always come through as not trusted.

Hmmm, I've gone to settings and added the 'sender' to the trusted list but am not sure if I have added the sender's domain to trusted. I'll have to try that next to be sure.

BTW,,, Windows 7 Ultimate using Live Mail 2012.

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email