Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:19 pm 
welcoming committee

On my old Win 7 PC, I had accumulated a long list of Blocked Senders.

How can I transfer this list to my new computer also running Win 7?

Thanks in advance........

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

See if this helps:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... b52?auth=1

Basically, if you sign into Windows Live Mail on the old and new PC with the same Microsoft Account, the list is synchronized.
Alternatively, there's a registry key to export and import if you don't sign into WLM with a Microsoft Account.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:09 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
See if this helps:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... b52?auth=1

Basically, if you sign into Windows Live Mail on the old and new PC with the same Microsoft Account, the list is synchronized.
Alternatively, there's a registry key to export and import if you don't sign into WLM with a Microsoft Account.
-steve

Thanks, Steve. But I have a couple of follow-on questions:
(1) I don't normally sign into WLM each time. I guess I did initially and then choice to always use that Microsoft Account. But I read up on how to do what you suggested. My question is in regard to synchronization, which I don't fully understand. On my old computer I have a very long blocked senders list, as it has accumulated over several years. On my new computer I have only 9 or 10 blocked senders. The list I want on my new computer is the long one I have on my old computer. Which one will be retained during the sync process?
(2) If I go the export/import route, I assume this is best done using a flash drive?

Thanks........

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm... On question 1, I would sign into WLM on the old PC. Leave it signed in for a bit. Then go do the registry key export bit. Save the exported key anywhere you wish and copy it to a flash drive. Then sign into WLM on PC2. If you're lucky and it works as that thread suggests, then your list should merge and be the expanded version. If nothing happens, go ahead and import the registry key.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:36 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Hmmm... On question 1, I would sign into WLM on the old PC. Leave it signed in for a bit. Then go do the registry key export bit. Save the exported key anywhere you wish and copy it to a flash drive. Then sign into WLM on PC2. If you're lucky and it works as that thread suggests, then your list should merge and be the expanded version. If nothing happens, go ahead and import the registry key.
-steve

Thanks, Steve. I will try your suggestions in sequence and keep you posted.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Do let us know -- this is a new scenario for me. I've never considered the status of the blocked senders in WLM as my primary email program is Outlook. I use WLM, but not for heavily used accounts, so I've never added more than a handful of things to blocked senders. Spammers tends to throw away domains and addresses so fast that I've never seen much value in blocked senders.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:32 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Do let us know -- this is a new scenario for me. I've never considered the status of the blocked senders in WLM as my primary email program is Outlook. I use WLM, but not for heavily used accounts, so I've never added more than a handful of things to blocked senders. Spammers tends to throw away domains and addresses so fast that I've never seen much value in blocked senders.
-steve

I will Steve. I got sidetracked today with other issues. Probably in the morning. Thanks for your suggestions,

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:11 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
sboots wrote:
-steve

Sometimes I'll still block a domain in WLM but not often anymore. I think rules are actually more effective but I don't even bother with that any more. When I do a rule it would be such as {if subject includes "Rabbit TV"}{send to junk}.

I will still use the mark as junk option. Really I don't get all that much spam, just enough to irritate now and then. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:35 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
-steve

OK, here's where I stand in trying to transfer my Blocked Senders List from old computer to new computer.
- Signing into WLM on both computers using my WLM account info doesn't work. But I have really never had synchronization work well for me....I guess I just don't understand the concept.
- On my old computer, I went to the Block Senders List key in the registry. I exported this file to my desktop and then copied it to a flash drive.
- On my new computer, I went to the same registry key. I highlighted the key, did a right click, and expected to see an import option in the drop down. But alas, there was no such option......only another export.

So in your posting and in the referenced website, everyone says I should import the List key to my new computer. But no one explains to me how to do this. What am I doing wrong?

Now, if I mount my flash drive and right-click on the .reg file, the drop down does include the option to 'Merge'. What is that all about, I wonder? Might that be the way to import and merge the long list on my old computer with the short list on my new computer. Without a confirmation, I am reluctant to try this.....I get really nervous working with my registry, even though I did back it up before I started this process this morning.

Thanks for any further guidance you might can provide........

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:01 pm 

Just double click the .REG file.

Make sure to backup your registry first!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:56 pm 
welcoming committee

Merge is the command to use for entering the data into your Registry.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:36 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, I know that if I double click the .REG file, it will invoke the Merge command. And to do so only affects the Block Senders List key in the registry, and nothing else???

Like I said, I did backup my registry before I started this, but it still made me nervous. Feel better now that Jay and dvair have posted. Thanks..........

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:48 pm 

I would back up the registry again just in case. If you were to need to restore your registry you would lose all the VirtualBox entries if you used a backup from before that started.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:55 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I would back up the registry again just in case. If you were to need to restore your registry you would lose all the VirtualBox entries if you used a backup from before that started.

I understand. My backup was fresh..........done this morning. Twice.

But the merge didn't work. The Blocked Senders List on my new computer is still the short one created over the past couple of weeks. I'm going to try the export from my old computer once again.........maybe I did something wrong. If it doesn't work a 2nd time, then I'm just going to forget about it. You and Steve make good points about it not being all that useful.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:07 pm 
welcoming committee

Does my registry have to be open via regedit when I do the merge? If so, do I need to have the Block Senders List highlighted when I do the merge?

Go easy on me.........this is my first merge. I've modified registry keys before, but I've never done a merge.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Nope. It does not need to be open. The merge happens outside of Regedit, where you perform the export. If you only exported the single key and sub-keys or entries below the key, that's all that goes to the registry in the merge.
If you wish, you can open the .reg file with Notepad to see what it looks like. :-)
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:07 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Nope. It does not need to be open. The merge happens outside of Regedit, where you perform the export. If you only exported the single key and sub-keys or entries below the key, that's all that goes to the registry in the merge.
If you wish, you can open the .reg file with Notepad to see what it looks like. :-)
-steve

OK, Steve.......please stay with me for a few more steps so that I don't screw this up. Here's what I've done thus far:
- I exported only a single key from my old computer, the Block Senders List
- I copied this .reg key file to a flash drive
- I did open the key with Notepad and it was indeed my long list from the old computer
- I mounted the flash drive on my new computer, then double clicked it to invoke Merge
- But when I checked on my new computer to see if indeed the two Block Senders Lists had been merged, they had not. I have no idea where the merge went.
- Before I try it again, I just needed more specific steps

Can you please tell me exactly what to do after I mount the flash drive containing the exported .reg file, because what I did before didn't work? Thanks.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Is one computer running 32 bit and the other 64? This may effect exactly where in the registry that the information for the blocked list is contained.

Also, did you reboot after the merge, this may be needed for the registry entries to be loaded up.

Edit- after seeing Steve's post the 32/64 bit won't matter in this case.

Last edited by dvair on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect that the blocked sender list was indeed merged into the registry if it invoked the merge.

Open Regedit on the PC where you merged (new PC) and navigate to the key location (same location as on the old PC). You should see the key and blocked senders that you observed when viewing the reg file in Notepad.

Note that the key can exist in the "0" branch and also in a branch underneath your login account for WLM that is represented by a string of numbers.

If you exported from the 0 branch, that is where it merged to. If you exported from the numerical branch, it merged it there.

I don't know if the list will be available to WLM if signed in when the list is in the 0 branch or vice versa.

Let's assume that your list was imported into the numbered branch for a signed in account. We can merge it again, but force it to the "0" branch.

Open the .reg file with notepad again.

Here's the first few lines of mine:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\PerPassportSettings\3621244669\Junk Mail\Block Senders List]
"Version"=dword:00050000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\PerPassportSettings\3621244669\Junk Mail\Block Senders List\00000000]
"Flags"=dword:00000001
"Exception"="chanba8887@163.com"

Note the numerical string that I bolded. Yours will be different. Use Edit/Replace in Notepad to replace every instance of that string of numbers with a 0.
Save the revised file. Now merge that into the registry.

If the reverse is true -- your export/original merge was from the 0 branch and it merged into the 0 branch, you can replace the \0\ with the numerical string for your account which you should see in regedit on the new PC. Merge the revised file in order to populate the list under that account key.

And, 3rd possibility, the numerical account branch is not the same on both computers, so you merged it into a branch that is not recognized by WLM on the new PC. Edit the .reg file to have the numerical branch that matches the one seen in regedit on the new PC which would currently not contain the list of blocked senders in the branch after your original merge.

As always, back up that registry before doing this!

And, a caveat -- I can confirm that the export, edit, and merge work, but can only advise that the forum link I provided where this was provided as the solution by someone well versed in WLM and prior mail programs from Microsoft was not tried by me.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:30 am 
welcoming committee

Steve, thanks much for such specific directions. I'm going to have to sleep on this and resume in the morning, as it's a little more complicated than a simple export/import.

I did take a fast look. I know I exported from the "0" branch, and on my new computer that is indeed the longer list. The list under the first numerical branch is much shorter, which I assume is the shorter list I started with on my new computer.

So I will study on this in the morning, but the first thing I'm going to do is reboot my new computer as dvair suggested, which is something I didn't do.

Thanks again..........I will keep you posted on my progress.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:35 am 
welcoming committee

Steve, this is what I found out. I would appreciate your advice on what I plan to do next.
- Rebooting my new computer didn't change anything.
- On my old computer I have data in both the "0" branch and the first branch underneath, represented by a string of numbers (3841988329). There is a 2nd branch with a string of numbers, but it is empty. I did export from the "0" branch.
- On my new computer I also have data in both the "0" branch and the "3841988329" branch. However, the list under the "0" branch is much shorter than the other. I'm assuming that the short list under "0" is the list I've built up on my new computer in the last few weeks. The longer list under "3841988329" is the list that exists on my old computer......the one I'm trying to transfer.
- So it appears to me that even though I exported from the "0" branch on my old computer, this list went to the "3741988328" branch on my new computer.

Per your suggestion, I am going to try and use the Find/Replace function within Note Pad to replace every instance of the numerical string with a 0. I will then save this revised file and merge that into the registry. Does that sound like the right thing to do at this point?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:49 pm 
welcoming committee

Update: Importing is not easy, Steve - maybe that's why the author of the forum link you provided didn't explain how to import, lol.

I must have messed up someplace because I ended up with an unrecognizable Blocked Sender List on my new computer. So I need to restart the entire process. Can I go into my registry and delete the Block Sender List under both the "0" branch and the "3841988329" branch? These are now both the same messed-up list? If I do another merge without first deleting them, then I'm afraid that I will really have a mess.

In case you are interested in what happened:
I did as you suggested - I used the Find/Replace function within Note Pad to replace every instance of the \0\ with the numerical string for my account. I then saved this revised file and merged that into the registry.

Then things got weird.....the list under /0/ became the long one, and the list under 3841988329 became the short list. Just the opposite of what it was. But it was still the short list that showed on my computer.

At that point, I decided to take my original .reg file and merge it again (the one that I had exported from the "0" branch on my old computer). Viola, I finally got a long list of blocked senders on my new computer.

Unfortunately this list is all messed up......it contains many entries that were never on either list. It even contains two of my domains. I don't know what happened, so I need a 'do-over".

BTW, the numerical account branch is the same on both computers - 3841988329.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

I think I'm following what you did.

Are you signing into your Microsoft Account on the new PC?

No matter. A do-over is in order.

On the new PC, delete the blocked sender list key under both the 0 branch and the numeric string branches.
Reboot
Open WLM, do not sign in and check that the blocked sender list is empty.
Sign in with your Microsoft account and check that the blocked sender list is empty.
Sign out and close WLM.
If you do not intend to sign in with your Microsoft Account in WLM:
Open the reg file that contains the complete list of blocked senders for import with the path for the key being:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\PerPassportSettings\0\Junk Mail\Block Senders List]
Verify that the full list is present and that the path for every key is exactly as the above.
Assuming that the path is correct and the list is correct, close the file and proceed with the double click/merge.
Assuming you found a mistake/bad entry for the path, edit, save, then proceed with the merge.
Reboot.
Open WLM without signing into your Microsoft Account. Is the list correct?
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:37 pm 

bbarry wrote:
In case you are interested in what happened:
I did as you suggested - I used the Find/Replace function within Note Pad to replace every instance of the \0\ with the numerical string for my account. I then saved this revised file and merged that into the registry.

Possibly the automatic replace of the \0\ could be the culprit??? Steve may correct me on this but I would think that, when working with a registry modification, I would want to manually go through the file in Notepad and make sure that I were only changing the values I REALLY wanted changed.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, I never (to my knowledge) sign into WLM with my Microsoft Account, although I do have one. I am never asked for my Account info, so I am assuming that after signing in at one point in time, the system must remember me. So how do I now once again sign into WLM with my Account?

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email